Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playin' with a fiddlestick....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So I spent some time playing with a fiddlestick this weekend.... and my previous opinion remains unchanged. The fiddlestick does have a use, and 99.99% of all canyoneers will never encounter such a situation or ever have need of a fiddlestick. The fiddlestick is exponentially more dangerous then the typical methods of toss-n-go and biner blocks. The item the fiddlestick is best at is impressing your friends with silly and dangerous rope tricks, while hoping they will be in awe of your skillzz....

Attachment 68172

The ladezz were impressed with my ability to handle such a big stick....
    Shane Shane Shane Shane Shane

I know you are all excited about playing with my stick, but...

Dare I point out that ACTUALLY you are playing with Luke's "Smooth Operator". I have to admit Luke's stick is larger and more rigid than my stick...

Tom

2. Likes Kuya, TommyBoy, jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Dare I point out that ACTUALLY you are playing with Luke's "Smooth Operator".
    Wrong O.... it's a custom Bad Moon Risin' model, or at least that is what I was told.

I like how this thread is still rocking despite Tom's attempts at ******ry (to gay it up). Sorry censors!

I'd predicting a 5 pager!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Maybe renaming the fiddlestick is the answer (it worked for the Maxi Pad). Love the thread.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Maybe renaming the fiddlestick is the answer

Imlay Death Stick (tm)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Based on your pics above, you should market your own version called the"diddle stick"

Truth is, I have one that I made out of poly carbonate that I've used. I won't advocate it's usage because of its inherent risk, but I understand and accept the risks involved. And choose to use it. For those who are willing to accept the risks, and fully understand them, it can be a useful tool. I don't actually advocate or endorse climbing, canyoneering, caving, backcountry skiing, etc... for partially the same reason. I participate in the above activities but I feel that I know and accept the involved risks. I'm generally distrusting of others' judgement and common sense and don't believe that many people who engage in these activities (canyoneering seems to draw them) possess the adequate skills to do it safely barring dumb luck. Not an elitist attitude on my part, just a skeptical one.

9. Likes pikan liked this post
    Why do I have the feeling that the next time I go canyoneering with the "in-crowd" I'm going to have to endure a bunch of "Hey, you wanna see my Fiddlestick?" jokes?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I don't think so. He's very anti Israel (the state of).
    Sorry in advance for derailing this thread. I know this isn't the place... but since the convo got started here it goes.

My thoughts on Israel is that their domestic policy is shameful, they subjugate almost half of their citizenry to an apratheid-like second class life based on religious lines.
    Our unconditional support for Isralel makes us as a county look foolish when they give us a big middle finger by doings things like announcing new settlement development the day our vice president arrives on a visit.
    More importantly, our support of Isreal and their inhumane and antithetical-to-American-ideals policies makes effective foreign policy and international relations in the middle east impossible, with good reason too.

Long story short I believe that Israel is a strategic liability and instead of giving them billions every year in foreign aid, we need to get on board with the rest of the civilized world and level sanctions and embargoes on them until they return to the 1967 borders.

That being said, Im well aware that a common strategy for shutting down conversation about Israel has been to label anti-Israeli discussion as anti-Semetic discussion, but I don't think that what's going on here... if anything it's the opposite. MK's letter to the paper was anti-Israel, his personal correspondence was anti-Jewish.... the only time he mentioned Israel in his personal correspondence was in the beginning when he referenced "the Israeli letter" that he had sent to the paper. The rest of his diatribe was against a religion and the people who practice it, not a sovereign nation.

Now, getting back to the topic, penis penis penis penis penis fiddlestick... carry on...

-Sam

12. Likes burley, Eric Holden, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I certainly prefer any method that requires 2x rope rather than 3x.
    Use webbing as the 3rd 'x'. An easy/safe way to ghost the drop at Cassidy Arch, plus you might need the webbing later anyway.

Or maybe a dyneema retrieval cord, for an ultra-lightweight solution.

Yes, this has all been said before... Yes, I like obvious alternatives to the Fiddlestick.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

"I won't advocate it's usage because of its inherent risk...
    I don't actually advocate or endorse climbing, canyoneering, caving, backcountry skiing, etc..."
    spoken like a lawyer CYOB????
    psssssst *whispering* This is a climbing, canyoneering, caving, backcountry skiing, etc... forum everyone here already does this stuff
    I agree with your skepticism of other's judgement. I believe it is important to test and practice ANY new tool, principal, technique, etc... yourself under safe conditions before busting it out in a potentially life-threatening situation. And I too have started investigating the fiddlestick, or Luke's "Smooth Operator" variation of it.

15. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Use webbing as the 3rd 'x'. An easy/safe way to ghost the drop at Cassidy Arch, plus you might need the webbing later anyway.

Or maybe a dyneema retrieval cord, for an ultra-lightweight solution.

Yes, this has all been said before... Yes, I like obvious alternatives to the Fiddlestick.
    You carry 150' of webbing?

T

What's your daughter making the size gesture towards?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

The ladezz were impressed with my ability to handle such a big stick....

Attachment 68171

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You carry 150' of webbing?
    Never. But one could, to ghost Cassidy specifically. A rope/webbing combo would obviously work too. Thinking back... that's probably how we did it.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Maybe I'm a bit old school, but when I started doing this stuff many years ago we would throw a rope around a tree, rock or log and be done with it. If we had to leave a sling, none of us lost any sleep over it.

I remember when I went through Anasazi Canyon for the first time. At the second rappel, we came upon a very old piton that was driven into a crack. I didn't cry or freak out...I thought it was kinda neat. Someone (actually, I know exactly who it was) had recently put two bolts and hangars close to the piton. We gleefully rapped from them, grateful that we didn't have to build another stinking deadman like at the first rap.

Speaking of deadmans, I'd much rather see the canyons in North Wash with bolts instead. I know for some that's "not cool", but I think the bolts would be a lot less "noticeable". I've always regarded deadmans as the absolute last resort.

I have no opinion on this fiddlestick thing. I suppose I'd have to see one in action before passing judgement...but I tend to agree with Shane a lot, and if he thinks it's a BS item, then I probably wont be rushing out to buy one.

I don't think I would manufacture or promote the thing. For cryin' out loud, people are getting jacked up because they can't rig up a basic rap point properly, let alone some semi complicated arrangement with a plastic spatula. I wouldn't want someone getting killed on account of my invention...operator error or not. Of course, ropes themselves are waived in this regard.

I say leave a sling and just live with yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.