Thread: SOL thermal bivy

SOL thermal bivy

Anybody own or use the SOL thermal bivy system? Any pro's/con's or general thoughts? It states you can use it as a primary bag at temps 50 degrees or greater. Does anyone use it for this purpose?

It looks like it could make for some comfortable nights on overnight canyons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good question. I once asked something similar on this forum here Bivy Post and while it doesn't hit your question exactly, some of the replies have some info you would probably find useful or at least interesting.

Good conversation but I was hoping to get some input on this particular one. I already own it but live in az so couldn't even begin to test in summertime here.

It seems durable and has a liner inside. It also has some vents that are supposed to help with condensation.

If I don't get much feedback ill be sure to provide some once its tested.

I use one as my primary bag for temperatures above 40. While I have never used it in a canyon or in AZ I have used it on many backpacking trips and for mountain bike ultra racing. It works well for me. The only drawback I have found with it is condensation. It does breath a little, but still collects a little condensation.

If I was doing a canyon where there was a chance of an unplanned bivouac or a planned overnighter I would take my SOL thermal bivy over a sleeping bag.

I used it for an overnight in Imlay. Temps got down in the 50's, and I was warm. Seems fairly durable, and held up well. Compacts down well, and light.

Great bag for the price.