Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for The Help (Pine Creek Mini Rescue)

Thanks for The Help (Pine Creek Mini Rescue)

Myself and my two friends were planning on an easy day of pine creek and keyhole yesterday. I have done both the canyons 8 plus times but neither of my friends have done them. One had done a few canyons with me including The Maze here in las vegas. The other had only done one easy canyon a couple of years ago but none besides that.

We grabbed a ride from the seccond switch back to the parking lot, suited up and dropped in. There was a large group on the first rap with half there group down. They were very nice and asked us to go ahead and use there ropes to pass them.

I down climbed the normal spot into the water, the friend with more experience decided he felt like swimming so he lowered himself into the water right where the deep part of the pothole was.

The other guy tried to down climb where i did but had a bit of a fall. I saw the whole thing and didn't think much of it. It just looked like he did a belly flop into the water. What had appened was when he fell his feet were on one side of the wall and his face and arms were on the onther side. He was horizontal when he hit the water. His right arm hung up on the wall and pulled it out of socket.

When he stood up he said he could move his arm and he was in a lot of pain. We couldn't tell at the moment but it was completely dislocated. The group behind us (looked like scout troop) did a great job of helping us get our friend out of the pothole with out to much trouble. The tied off up above us and we ran the rope through my friends biner and back up to the guys on the ledge kinda like a pully system. I was under him pushing and the guys above were pulling. Worked pretty well, We got him back down to our truck via another bummed ride from a tourist and got him to the medical clinic behind ZAC in sprindale.

Everything turned out fine, I just wanted to thanks the guys behind us for a very job well done and let them know how much i apreciate their help. I guess you just never know when something simple like that first down climb can turn into a very big problem.

The doctor said it was a pretty major injury and was suprised the bone didn't break.

Name:  arm.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  35.3 KB
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Ooooooooooo oUCH!!!!

Glad it worked out, with many helping hands.

Tom

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Glad to hear everything worked out ok. Shit happens. I know people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that would bitch that he should not have been out there, and that he can't downclimb simple stuff, and will go on and on and on for years and put them down for it, but in reality know jack shit about the person and if something else is going on.

yeah thanks for the back up. I have been doing this long enough that i wouldn't have taken him if i didn't think he wasn't able. it just shows that a simple slip or fall can result in a big injury.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    I know people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that would bitch that he should not have been out there, and that he can't downclimb simple stuff, and will go on and on and on for years and put them down for it, but in reality know jack shit about the person and if something else is going on.
    Yeah! These potential shit-eatin'-grin wearin', potential shit-talkin', potential in the canyon shit-takin' Bogleyites are just lurking, locked-and-loaded, to verbally flog the shit out of anyone who slips and falls, like all of us have a hundred times. But the rest of us have just gotten lucky and gotten away with it. Shit man, I just know that shitty, unfair, unprovoked shit-talk is just gonna happen.

That's how this forum works? Shit!

For some reason this photo of a crotchety Clint Eastwood seems to pair nicely with this post. Like cheese and wine.

Name:  gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  26.2 KB

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Woah easy there fellers..

No ones doing the trash-talking except for you guys... ;)

Canyonguru - surprising your friend didn't break a bone...but glad he'll be okay though. Thanks for sharing the details.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It's a good day when everyone comes home alive.....

So... where are these mysterious thrash talkers?!?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

Canyonguru - surprising your friend didn't break a bone...but glad he'll be okay though. Thanks for sharing the details.
    I speak the truth. There are people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that you will never do any canyons with because they will look down on you, because you do not have the skills to keep up with them. You can't do anything right in their eyes. Even if you do, they will not invite you or anyone that has not done the canyons they have done. They will post trip reports about canyons they have done, but will never tell you where they are or invite you to do them, don't even ask if you could come along. A few years ago, I remember people got pissed off big time about this. I say why even post trip reports about these canyons if you are not willing to share, but I guess they need to brag or whatever. They will not take new people out that want to get into the sport. I'm telling you, they will belittle you to their friends and anyone else that will listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

I believe we have a mutual friend that knows exactly what I'm talking about. We discussed it many times in the past.

Ouch. Very easy to do.

How quickly things can turn to a rescue or survival situation. Just rolling an ankle can do it.

Great team effort in getting out ok. Hope you all are there when I take my tumble next time.

Speedy recovery!

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I speak the truth. There are people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that you will never do any canyons with because they will look down on you, because you do not have the skills to keep up with them. You can't do anything right in their eyes. Even if you do, they will not invite you or anyone that has not done the canyons they have done. They will post trip reports about canyons they have done, but will never tell you where they are or invite you to do them, don't even ask if you could come along. A few years ago, I remember people got pissed off big time about this. I say why even post trip reports about these canyons if you are not willing to share, but I guess they need to brag or whatever. They will not take new people out that want to get into the sport. I'm telling you, they will belittle you to their friends and anyone else that will listen to them.
    I kinda feel exactly the opposite, but we can have opinions

17. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post
    X2

Last time I checked Bogley fests were open to everyone of all skill levels. We had a great Moabfest a few month's ago and everyone who wanted to come was invited

If folks aren't inviting you on trips after the first go around perhaps you need to do a little soul searching and maybe an attitude adjustment and stop whining.

FWIW- skill level has very little to do with who I invite on personal trips. I normally invite people who have a positive attitude that I think are fun to hang out with.... someone who's company I enjoy. YMMV.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Good job on cleaning up on aisle pine cr.

Thanks for posting this mishap.

It can happen to anyone.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

How quickly things can turn to a rescue or survival situation.
    You're talking about this conversation, right?

21. Likes Absolute Gravity, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You're talking about this conversation, right?
    Exactly, although alcohol isn't in my first aid kit.

I speak the truth. There are people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that you will never do any canyons with because they will look down on you, because you do not have the skills to keep up with them.
    So what? I don't even think about 'eyes looking down' on me.

Let's assume you do speak the truth. Why would you want to canyoneer with someone that doesn't want to canyoneer with you anyway?

Why not put together your own crew and then do whatever you like? There are plenty of talented/skilled people in the community...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

24. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Just wondering if you reduced the dislocation or waited until you got to the clinic. There are some ways to do it if you have to.....might want to learn the techniques if you don`t know them already, particularly if you`ll be canyoneering with your friend again. The ligaments will tighten up a bit on their own, but will probably not be as stable as before the accident.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am

26. Likes Taylor liked this post
    I know people on this forum and in the canyoneering community that would complain that he should not have been out there, and that he can't downclimb simple stuff, and will go on and on and on for years and put them down for it, but in reality know jack about the person and if something else is going on.
    Like who?

I think I know more people in those categories than you do, John, and I cannot think of ONE person who is THAT crotchety.

Quote Originally Posted by dlofting View Post
    Just wondering if you reduced the dislocation or waited until you got to the clinic. There are some ways to do it if you have to.....might want to learn the techniques if you don`t know them already, particularly if you`ll be canyoneering with your friend again. The ligaments will tighten up a bit on their own, but will probably not be as stable as before the accident.
    Reducing a dislocated shoulder is something that should ONLY be done by a trained person. Especially the first one. On THIS I will look down my nose at you!

Things can go very wrong with an inappropriate reduction. Better to secure it as best as possible against the body, especially with definitive care close by.

People that have dislocated their shoulder before are often trained on how to get it back in, with a little help.

Tom

Agree on the training before attempting a dislocation reduction......sorry
    , didn`t make that clear in my post.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am