Thread: Millcreek (SLC) Hiking?

Blog Entries

Millcreek (SLC) Hiking?

I just moved into a house in the Olympus Cove area of SLC recently. And on Sunday, I drove up Millcreek Canyon and saw numerous trailheads on the drive. I'm not familiar with this area at all, so any tips would be great.

Any recommendations or good ones you guys would recommend? 1/4 days to 1/2 day hikes is preferred.

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In summer, the south side trails are better because they face north and have more shade. Wilson Fork is my favorite and doesn't see much traffic. There is no sign at the trailhead. Bowman Fork is a good one too. Alexander Basin is also a good one and one of the most scenic.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Hike?? Get a bike!! Then lets talk.
    Chere'

5. Likes jman liked this post
    Ditto on the south side hikes, the temps are clearly nicer as are the trees and foliage (pines on the south side and scrub oak on the north). A few of my favorites-

A couple of long half day hikes:
    Bowman to Alexander Basin (easily on of the best fall hikes around.)
    Thayne Canyon to Neffs Canyon. (This one requires a short car/bike shuttle or a couple mile road walk, but it's a great power hike with good views.)

Thayne Canyon is a nice little trail with a few options. A great short hike (perfect for kids) is Thayne Canyon to the first junction with the Desolation trail and then return on Deso. Or keep heading up Thayne until the second and main connection with the Deso and again follow it back (half day hike). Or keep going to Neffs.

The Terraces to Elbow Fork is a nice short hike and at Elbow Fork you can either reverse the route, follow the road back or cross the road and follow the Pipeline Trail downcanyon to roughly the car park at Terraces.

7. Likes jman liked this post
    I'm a big fan of Millcreek. Close, easy access. Being that you have to pay it keeps a lot of non-outdoorsy type of people away. As far as tips go, I would start by paying the $40 for a annual pass. It will pay for itself quickly. I try to get up there about once a week when school is in (take my son to a jr. high by Skyline). I typically head up Grandeur Peak for a workout, Elbow's fork/Lambs Canyon, or Alexander Basin/Gobbler's Knob if I really want to get into it. Also the Log Haven has some pretty good food if you want to spring the $$$.

9. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Awesome, thanks for all of the suggestion guys! I got em all written down and now it's time to do research and G.E. the routes, map em, etc.

Chere, I would love to bike - however, I don't have one. Now, I know nothing about bikes except how to ride one. lol. I've been on one singletrack in the canyons and it was awesome! I think it was called Ricochet on a bunch of planks. Now I don't want to spend a lot of money on my first mtn bike - so will $350 get something decent (the mtn bike forum probably is dying of laughter after they spend probably what - $5000+ Anyways...? And from there I have no idea of brands, wheel size, etc.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I don't want to spend a lot of money on my first mtn bike - so will $350 get something decent
    I'm biting my cheeks to keep from laughing..... I spent more then that on a rear shock....

Anyhoo.... You can find a nice used mountain bike on KSL for $350 if you know what you are looking for.... if not get a friend that knows mtn bikes to help you keep an eye on KSL. I just picked up a really nice 29er hardtail for my daughter for $150. The bike was like brand new, two years old, orginally retailed for over $1000, I bet the guy that originally owned it never took it off the paved neighborhood trail. Probably never rode the bike more then a couple of times.

So there are deals out there, you just have to look and know a good deal when you see it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

13. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    X2 On what Ice said... and I am giggling a bit. I "real" bike is worth every penny you put into it.

So I have a question for you. If you bought a mountain bike how much do you think you would ride it? If during the season you think you would ride at least once a week possibly more with easy of trail access then just bite the bullet and buy exactly what you want the first time.

I bought a cheaper hardtail for my first bike not knowing what I was getting into. I was hooked my first ride!! LOVED IT... and wondered why in the hell it took me so long to discover this sport. The very next season I plunked down a pretty penny for my full suspension. I have NEVER regretted the money I paid or one ride I have been on. You don't have to spend $5000 for a good bike... however that would be a sweet bike!
    Chere'

Sir, welcome to the E Millcreek Area. I'll make some general observations and you can if you wish, obtain a map and then fish out more detailed options that are boundless. Neff's Canyon is on the E side of the cove. Many options here. If driving up the canyon you have Rattlesnake Gulch on the L (North) and then access spots to the pipeline trail. On the right there is Thayne and then Porter Fork, and then the road up to Terrace's camping area - Bowman Fork Trail (that leads to Gobblers and Wilson). Further up cyn at Elbow Fork the N side trail goes up to either Mt. Aire or over to Lambs Cyn. The Mt. Aire walk is a nice one. Up cyn there is Alexander, Wilson and then the main trails up Little and Big Water - to either the Deso Trail or Dog Lake. Myself, if I were new to the area, I'd first wander up Neffs, then up Bowman and then up the trails in Elbow Fork. Big views and nice country, and then you can branch out; if you wish to ride on two wheels - the pipeline trail or the trails at the far E of the cyn. Welcome to Olympus Hills Mall, Dan's, and the related traffic to boot. But there is quick access to the Interstate, and IME & BD are not far away.

16. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    X2 On what Ice said... and I am giggling a bit. I "real" bike is worth every penny you put into it.
    Hey I bought my Kona from Mark for only $500 after it landed him in the hospital and he wanted to get rid of it. I love it and it's only landed me in the ER twice.

jman if Mark offers you a bike for $500..... stay the hell away from it.
    Chere'

For me, finding a suitable bike on KSL was a lot harder that I thought. Finding one that's the right size, good quality, right price, not trashed, and not more than 50 miles away narrowed things down considerably.

I finally gave up and settled for one of these:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ht_new_xii.htm

Name:  mt bike.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  59.5 KB

I did a lot of research online and reviews were mostly very positive. This bike has all the same components as one costing $200 more. The only issue with shipping (Free Shipping) was the front brake cable was rubbed through the plastic and one other tiny plastic piece that attaches to the front fork was broke. One simple email and they shipped replacement parts Priority Mail no questions asked. Took me 45 minutes to put it together as I'm no Sombeech and this was my first mt bike. Works for me...I love it.

OK, proceed to laugh if you wish, I got thick skin...

Blog Entries
    haha @ Chere.

Well Thanks everyone for the suggestions! So the past two days I took probably 10hrs and went to various bike shops and I got a bike that I really, really like. I got the 2013 Diamondback Recoil and for a great deal. It was about $150 more than I was anticipating on buying (of course, right?). But hey, now I can be cool like you fools and jump off 60ft cliffs and stuff.

And thanks Reflection for the welcome. So far I like it a lot! I have hiked up Neffs, Aire, and Desolation and they are fantastic hikes. Up Neffs Canyon, I was able to located Neff's Cave. That would be an adventure to go through (after doing some research on the cave)...

Also, I did another short hike but with a fantastic view - it's called the "living room" hike which is located right above Red Butte. Very, very cool - and maybe about 20-30min to reach it. I'll need to do a TR or beta for it for you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

21. Likes blueeyes liked this post