Thread: Steve Allen's New San Rafael Book

Steve Allen's New San Rafael Book

Anyone have it?

http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-N...s=canyoneering

If you already have the old book, is the new one worth getting?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have the first one, lot's of canyons in their. Very good directions to trailheads and very good info on the canyons themselves. Worth getting.

I have the first one,
    Me too. I phrased my question poorly.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

My question would be.... what's new in the book that isn't already out there? One good NEW slot and the book is worth the price to me.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I have the new book but not the old one, so I can't comment specifically on Scott's question. However, there's nothing in the new edition that I didn't already know about with the exception of the Mexican Mountain ascent (saving that one for this fall/winter). I doubt there's anything really "new" about the new edition except perhaps some updated descriptions to account for small changes in the years between editions. It does mention that old hike #29, "the Best Views in the Swell" and #30, "Devil's Racetrack, Bullock Draw, and Golden Gate" were removed because they're now "OHV playgrounds."
    Blog | FB

It does mention that old hike #29, "the Best Views in the Swell" and #30, "Devil's Racetrack, Bullock Draw, and Golden Gate" were removed because they're now "OHV playgrounds."
    At the time the first book came out (1992), the Devils Racetrack had the appearance of a barely visible cow trail. You had to pay attention to find it. It's much different now and not as good as a hike. I can see why it was removed.

I'm surprised upper Eagle Canyon wasn't removed as well since it's definitely a high traffic ATV route now days (4wd's used to drive it at least as far back as the 1980's, but the chances of meeting them were very slim).

I don't think most people would be interested in either of those as a hiking route now days.

I have the new book, and have used his old one a lot. The new book has extensive GPS way points and much better route descriptions. You would be hard pressed to get lost using the routes in the new book. While the original one was more of a general guide as to the route. The descriptions were very high level and not very detailed. Many times have I tried to religiously follow the routes in the old book, only to end up rather lost.

As far as I can tell the new book just contains better descriptions of the routes that were in his old book. The new book is only volume 1, of a 2 volume set. Volume two, which covers southern routes, isn't out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    I have the new book, and have used his old one a lot. The new book has extensive GPS way points and much better route descriptions. You would be hard pressed to get lost using the routes in the new book. While the original one was more of a general guide as to the route. The descriptions were very high level and not very detailed. Many times have I tried to religiously follow the routes in the old book, only to end up rather lost.

As far as I can tell the new book just contains better descriptions of the routes that were in his old book. The new book is only volume 1, of a 2 volume set. Volume two, which covers southern routes, isn't out yet.
    So, the new Vol 1 book is mostly about the Northern Swell area?

I did hike #29 in October 1992. Thoroughly enjoyed the loop out to The Blocks and back which encompassed both trail trekking and bushwhacking. Lots of variety both in scenery and in treadway. 8 years later I attempted a repeat, but failed to locate the drill pipes and went on to do hike #30 out to Slipper Arch which turned out to be another mighty fine jaunt. Been 12 years since I last hiked in the Swell. Maybe if I got the new edition, it might spur me on to visit. Although a nonstop flight RDU-SLC would be an even better incentive.