Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wave Claims Another

The Wave Claims Another

That's 3 in a month. What's going on?

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/26120165

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Darwin
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

4. Likes pikan liked this post
    Well done, because going to the Wave in late July seems like such a good idea.....

Does the little dam in Sand Cove (the teeny slot below the wave) always have a little bit of water running out of it? We were there in February last time and it was dribbling out nicely. Seems like if I was hiking in July and needed a break I would just hunker down below that dam and wait out the sun.....

The permit system is part of the problem. Folks go when they can get a permit, even when its not the best idea.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

7. Likes hike.higher liked this post
    I agree with Iceaxe. Maybe the BLM needs to rethink their policy. Not everyone is equipped to handle the "wilderness experience" they are trying to offer. Seems like it would be safer if there was a developed trail and more people out there to help in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Well done, because going to the Wave in late July seems like such a good idea.....

Does the little dam in Sand Cove (the teeny slot below the wave) always have a little bit of water running out of it? We were there in February last time and it was dribbling out nicely. Seems like if I was hiking in July and needed a break I would just hunker down below that dam and wait out the sun.....
    The problem is that by the time common folk are aware that something is seriously wrong, it's too late to make these kinds of rational decisions.

Regardless of the BLM policy, you just can't get through to some people about being prepared. No matter how well adapted the policy becomes, no matter how explicit the warnings are, no matter how regulated it gets, there will always be a least common denominator that manages to get them selves killed.

That just sucks. Unbelievable...

So sad for her husband and two little boys.
    Life is Good

Some tasteful but visible cairns woudl help a lot - the photo route system sucks (and I have been hiking for 40 years). And tell folks up fron that if temps are over xx degrees they get a rain check on the permit for next year (or sometime later). The location is not a secret - its on the web - give people a trail or cairns. But at the end of the day - if you get lost - your failed the test. That's harsh, but true. Our school system needs to spend more time on personal responsiblity, survival in real situations, and less on history.

I'm against denying permits at any temperature. I often hike in the desert in 100+ degrees. It's not an issue if you are experienced in the desert. But like any other outdoor experience you are in trouble if you get in over your head.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

14. Likes 2065toyota liked this post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm against denying permits at any temperature. I often hike in the desert in 100+ degrees. It's not an issue if you are experienced in the desert. But like any other outdoor experience you are in trouble if you get in over your head.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    I agree. I did BLM firefighting in St. George for a few years where the temps were 105+ easy, next to a 500-1000degree fire, wearing long sleeves, long pants, hiking up very steep terrain with no shade, sweating to death, and while carrying 30lbs of gear - just to name a few things. But we survived just fine - carried over 1 gallon 1/2 of water and Gatorade, carried numerous snacks, and took numerous breaks. And we never "pushed through" when we were physically exhausted or tired. Protecting land over someone's life isn't worth it. It's all about a balance when it comes to surviving the desert and heat.

People complain about hiking in 100degree heat but it's about proper planning, preparations and provisions. You can do numerous hikes in 100 degree heat and be fine provided you planned for it.

It's like what Kiwi_outdoors said above, it's about personal responsibility and survival. The outdoors isn't Disneyland - there are no personal protection guarantees - ever.

And just like Canyoneering - you can't assume that bolts or anchors/webbing is going to be there. Everyone in the group should know how to ascend, how to rappel safely every time, how to escape a pothole, how to tie a water knot and munter at the bare minimum.

This shouldn't happen
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

17. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    a few more details: The Bureau of Land Management is evaluating safety options after Monday

One thing that is really understated or not stated at all is becoming acclimated to the heat before going out into it for an extended period of time. I know this because I am a desk jockey. Prior to going on summer desert hikes/canyons, I spend as much time out side in the heat of the day doing yard work, walking, etc. as I can for 3-4 days prior to the hike. My contractor buddies who work outside all the time have little trouble with the heat. I would suggest that almost as important as water is, is the need to acclimate to the heat before going out in it. Just my 2 cents.
    Life is Good

20. Likes Byron liked this post
    The permit system is part of the problem. Folks go when they can get a permit, even when its not the best idea.
    Uh, not really. 50-100 people would go a day if there was no permit system, no matter the conditions. Perfect weather? Imagine Delicate Arch type traffic.

However, The Wave is much different than Delicate Arch, it would get f-ed up in a big hurry with that kind of traffic. It's really nice to be there with a small crowd, a special experience for sure. That's different debate, for a different day...

We took our son there when he was 4 months old. It was August and easily 100 degrees. The people in the permit office give you a huge map, with some 20 waypoints on it, including color photos and GPS coordinates for each waypoint. Before they issue the permits, there is a serious meeting with the lucky permit winners about the risks. They stop just short of buying you a GPS and taping it to your hand.

So we took our gigantic permit map, and headed out with our GPS. Did anyone else from the pre-hike meeting bring a GPS? Hell no! On the way back I guided a dozen lost tourists through the desert, like I was Moses.

My point? The permit office does a fine job warning people. People are in denial and don't take the warnings seriously. Bringing a navigation device would have saved every person so far this year, and the guy that fell into Buckskin Gulch (and died) the year we went.

Just for fun, a photo of Steph, Grandma Lupe, and John:

Name:  IMG_3026.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  92.3 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

22. Likes pikan, blueeyes, reverse_dyno liked this post
    Excellent post, Scott. Indeed, as I paint houses for a living and run around in shorts, tank top, hat and bandana around my neck for 6 straight months I understand how being acclimated to the heat is so important. People say to me frequently, "How can you work in these temperatures?" Well, I mainly follow the shade around the house and when I can't...I soak down frequently. Plus, I'm "used to it".

Most of these folks would be seriously hurtin' puppies if they had to walk a mile over 95 degrees. I would imagine there's a WHOLE LOTTA DRAMA occurring on that route to the wave that we never hear about. Hell, anywhere that's a "tourist spot" that requires more than a half hour of walking out in the blazing sun.

If anyone has a description of the young woman who died...I'd bet she was considerably overweight or otherwise in poor health. But then again, athletic folks have cooked themselves as well...hyperthermia.

I'm like a friggin' camel...but I wouldn't walk out there in this heat. It's just too uncomfortable. This time of year, it's either high elevation or lots of water nearby.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Very sad for the family members she left behind. It's hard for me to believe that a woman of her age, from a very hot area no less, succumbed to heat alone. Maybe there were other health issues? I did the hike several years ago, and didn't find navigation hard at all. I seem to recall cairns along the route, but I'm told the BLM tries to knock them down.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Well - you ain't no citified tourist, and neither am I.. But some folks are. And that is not reason enough for them to die.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Heat will do this to you regardless of fitness level. I just experienced this ~2 weeks ago with my wife. In 98-102F temps, without warning or any indication, her eyes rolled back in her head and she fell down, unconscious. Lack of water intake, sweating or soaking down and just about anybody can succumb to the heat.

Very sad, though regardless of reason..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    So we took our gigantic permit map, and headed out with our GPS. Did anyone else from the pre-hike meeting bring a GPS? Hell no! On the way back I guided a dozen lost tourists through the desert, like I was Moses.

My point? The permit office does a fine job warning people. People are in denial and don't take the warnings seriously. Bringing a navigation device would have saved every person so far this year, and the guy that fell into Buckskin Gulch (and died) the year we went.
    A map is a navigation device. However, you need to know how to use/read it. I never use a GPS.