Thread: Rope too short for rappel

Rope too short for rappel

We ran into this situation in a canyon the other day. It became evident of why its good to be comfortable with a stone knot and fiddlestick. We were able to anchor off, pass the knot, pull the stick & retrieve both the tied rap ropes and pull ropes.

Anybody else ran into this situation and how did you deal with it. Thx

2. Likes Erik B liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is a problem I don't believe I will ever encounter. I am a rope camel. I tend to pack just a wee bit heavy. My group had about 1100 feet of rope in Heaps the first time so as to avoid any such problem. It is good to know the skills. Well done on solving the problem.
    Life is Good

Way to be resourceful

I guess one could rappel off of stacked potshots if they were available.... although I would never want to stop and pass a knot while hanging from a few potshots.
    Whenever I rap off them I can't shake the feeling that I'm about 2 seconds away from dying, all I want to do is get down.

If an anchor can't be established mid-rappel, like it's overhung or something, your way might be where it's at.

Here is a smart-kid solution, if I remember correctly this was thought up and illustrated by Tom J(please correct me if I'm wrong).
    EDIT: As Tom states below, I am incorrect. This illustration isn't his.

Name:  240rap1.png
Views: 591
Size:  102.5 KB
    Name:  240rap2.png
Views: 573
Size:  52.8 KB

None of that sounds any fun to me. I would rather just bring enough rope and hope that all me pulls are clean and nothing gets stuck. I also bring plenty of rope just in case.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post

Here is a smart-kid solution, if I remember correctly this was thought up and illustrated by Tom J (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    Hmmmm, not mine. Perhaps on a thread I was in on. This is still a 2X solution, but with no single strand long enough. I had a similar solution, but leaving the short piece of rope down to the 200 foot level. Jason Robertson came up with the winning solution, which involved ground anchoring, and lowering from the ground, and pulling an edk through a Attache carabiner.

We had this problem in Mindbender (we thought it was Not Mindbender). I tied on a rope and passed the knot, then we lowered everyone else until the rope reached the ground. Then our last person came down to the knot, stood in a tree, untied the knot, and then climbed down the tree, so it worked out. We used spare webbing to make our pull cord long enough.
    --Cliff