Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing a new chain for wax???

Preparing a new chain for wax???

Do I need to use like diesel or? to prep my chain before wax out of the box?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Do I need to use like diesel or? to prep my chain before wax out of the box?
    I wax my bike chains and first time I use a good degreaser (engine degreaser) and then finish cleaning with brake cleaner.. This won't get 100% but gets more than enough especially if you are Hot waxing your chain.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thank you DOSS.
    Sounds like a good way to go all except brake cleaner. My chain has rubber x-ring that might get dried out with to harsh a cleaner.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Thank you DOSS.
    Sounds like a good way to go all except brake cleaner. My chain has rubber x-ring that might get dried out with to harsh a cleaner.
    Yeah.. skip the brake cleaner with the x-ring for sure then
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

How do you guys hot wax a chain? Or are you just talking spray wax? I just use Maxima chain cleaner, scrub with chain brush, then Maxima spray wax. Spins free.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    How do you guys hot wax a chain? Or are you just talking spray wax? I just use Maxima chain cleaner, scrub with chain brush, then Maxima spray wax. Spins free.

I actually use hot melted wax with teflon additive in it, remove chain soak chain in the hot wax for 15 minutes then let it cool.. it gets the wax/ teflon into the chain not just on the outside of the chain

just a couple of points on O-ring chain - the 0-rings keep grease-oil etc. in the pin-bushing interface - a high-load area. Waxing the chain wont help this area. The second really important area is the roller--bushing interface - same as escalator chain - it needs oil lubrication, not wax. We use drip oilers on escalators. The lube needs to be able to flow into the area, so it needs to be NOT too viscous or thick. Wax is a waste of time. So even though WD40 is not a lube - its ability to flow into the bushing-roller interface - along with suppression of rust - works quite well in practice.

Thank you all and your advice.
    I think I got it now and thanks again.

Gotta love the simplicity behind Garbo. Clean the bitch wax the bitch and ride the bitch . How hard is that.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    just a couple of points on O-ring chain - the 0-rings keep grease-oil etc. in the pin-bushing interface - a high-load area. Waxing the chain wont help this area. The second really important area is the roller--bushing interface - same as escalator chain - it needs oil lubrication, not wax. We use drip oilers on escalators. The lube needs to be able to flow into the area, so it needs to be NOT too viscous or thick. Wax is a waste of time. So even though WD40 is not a lube - its ability to flow into the bushing-roller interface - along with suppression of rust - works quite well in practice.
    Next time I take my escalator out riding, I'll remember not to wax the chain. Escalators don't spend a lot of time on a dusty trail .

I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Shit I thought this was pretty straight up but I was not sure I had it all down and up

Does this mean no more wd after the wash and air compresser dry? You know before I wax?

Hey I'm easy I'll wax her before I wax me
    I know, Sounds either great or way off at 3 am.

I'm sure I can heat my chain up prior to a ride. LMAO

WE wont even get into the whole escalator thing at this point.

I'm tired of grease everwhere and want to wax her.:)

You know seems to get everywhere on the black rear.

With the amount of time and money spent on oils / waxing / cleaning etc. Take it out of the box, put it on and ride it. They aren't that expensive especially when you remove the costs of maintaining them and just replace them when they get bad. And they really didn't last that much longer with full maintenance than with no maintenance.

Am I in the motorcycle area?
    I meen My chain tensil strength is well over 7200 lbs. (NOTE:) not bicycle.....................
    Hey just saying.
    Sorry but my chain was well more the 100 smacks and we have not forgotten the sprockets that need to be replaced at the same time for proper wear have we? Another 100 plus.

Anyways back to the beginning.

Do I or should I use Diesel or Karosene to clean the packing junk off my chain to------Oh hell never mind I'll get it and thanks for all the help folks.

I don't clean mine...I just ride.

Braaaaaap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I don't clean mine...I just ride.

Braaaaaap!!!
    X2

Don't buy O ring chains, they cost more and rob power. If you're 450 no big deal, but it helps a lot on 250's. don't buy wax / oil. Don't spend the time. Then the cost goes down. I would still generally get a year out of the chain and sprockets. $150 / year to replace, pretty inexpensive compared to other sports. And no hassle.

Big bore 500 and I'm not about to take out a 5000k case from lack of knowledge.

Thank you Garbo for your help. Best advise a man can get so it seems.
    You always have the right answers for me and I thank you.
    I can honestly say I have seen it all now.
    NO wax, No oil NO SH*T

X-ring baby let's keep that mud and sand out............................................... ............

POWER the only way I can rob myself of POWER is to loose a chain:)

Thats cool. Just giving my opinion was all. I've owned prob 15 bikes, raced motocross & desert. Used to ride 3 days a week. I've never lost a chain and only replace 2 or 3 chain/sprocket sets ever.

Even though your car manual says to change the oil every 8-10k miles, Jiffy Lube has convinced the general public 3k is what is needed.

It's just one of the things I didn't worry about. I would rather spend the time and money on suspension oils and gear oils that actually make a difference than chain oil. I just don't feel there was much long term benefit from it

Sorry that I am coming across as a total ass.
    Not what I wanted to do but would be happy to ride with you as your so close and all.

Its all good. It's all just opinions, same as everything in life