Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Heap or Imlay full of water after the recent rain?

Walking through The Narrows yesterday evening, we ran into a group fresh out of Imlay. They said it was fairly empty, tough to get out of the potholes, and they never put their wetsuits on.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Walking through The Narrows yesterday evening, we ran into a group fresh out of Imlay. They said it was fairly empty, tough to get out of the potholes, and they never put their wetsuits on.
    Must of been my group. They said at most there was a pothole that was neck deep for 5 seconds but most were no more than thigh deep to calf feel the entire time.

Oh, And they went right sneak and they said that SUCKED BAD compared to left sneak just as a FYI.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

4. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Must of been my group. They said at most there was a pothole that was neck deep for 5 seconds but most were no more than thigh deep to calf feel the entire time.

Oh, And they went right sneak and they said that SUCKED BAD compared to left sneak just as a FYI.
    Yes, probably. They were describing it to me and I was confused. A small language barrier. Couple of European guys with a pro climber? With a couple of younger guys?

One dude in the group was hilarious, about 20 yrs old, hiking down the narrows with flip flops on, no hiking stick. The water was muddy and high, but it didn't stop him! He was flying downstream in those flip-flops!

I think he has x-ray vision, or else all his toes would be broken. All very upbeat guys for being on the trail for some 15 hours.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

6. Likes pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    WOW.... I think right (east) sneak is a lot easier than left.

What do others who have done both think?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I told these guys go left vs right.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Shane a forest fire burned a lot of the bush whacking in left sneak a few years ago. For that reason I choose left over right. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Shane a forest fire burned a lot of the bush whacking in left sneak a few years ago. For that reason I choose left over right. YMMV
    Thanks for the info.... it has been a couple years since I have done Imlay.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Went through Imlay Right Sneak today. Bushwacking was no big deal at all. It has flashed within the last day or 2... definately since Saturday. Everything was full and much of the canyon was flowing. Group of 7: 9:47 from car to shuttle.

11. Likes ratagonia, Mountaineer, Scott Card liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Went through Imlay Right Sneak today. Bushwacking was no big deal at all. It has flashed within the last day or 2... definately since Saturday. Everything was full and much of the canyon was flowing. Group of 7: 9:47 from car to shuttle.
    It would be great if you could post a conditions report on Canditions.

http://www.candition.com/canyons

Thanks.

Tom

One week ago, as Ross and I were finishing our Narrows top down hike, we came across a group of 4 and one solo guy rapping from Imlay. They said the potholes were "tippy top full" and not a single toss or hook out was needed.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    WOW.... I think right (east) sneak is a lot easier than left.

Have done both this year, and a top-down. Tri-fecta?

The going UP on the Left Sneak is definitely easier. The burn-out helped a lot. But the going DOWN is WAY harder, with scrappy downclimbs and other things that take time and energy.

On the LEFT Sneak, there is a cliff-band section, usually passed by following trails left to a crappy ledge with a crappy handline. Nearly lost a dude there a couple years ago, so this time I insisted on rapping the cliff-band section. 120 feet does not get you to the bottom! But it does get you to a cool hole/ledge behind an arch, and we used the arch to rap the further 50 feet to the ground. Yes, all this took a lot of time, so our total time to the suit-up spot was 5 hours (quite casual pace), rather than the 4 hours usual for the Right Sneak.

From there, Log Soup slowed us down some. The Birth Canal was blocked by a log which we spent 20 minutes trying to move out. Couldn't. Climbed up over the top and rapped the other side.

Otherwise - all potholes full, water not so cold.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The going UP on the Left Sneak is definitely easier. The burn-out helped a lot. But the going DOWN is WAY harder, with scrappy downclimbs and other things that take time and energy.
    Thanks, going left it was the cliff band on the way down that I thought sucked.