Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Heap or Imlay full of water after the recent rain?

Is Heap or Imlay full of water after the recent rain?

We did full Imlay a couple weeks ago and while fun (lots of pothole escapes), thinking it would be a blast full of water. Can't find a trip report since the rain this past week to see if either Imlay or Heap are full of water. Anyone heard anything?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am also interested in this, as we are headed to Imlay on the 23rd

Wetsuit?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    I am also interested in this, as we are headed to Imlay on the 23rd

Wetsuit?
    Even in low water conditions, there is a section in Imlay that is quite chilly. There are a few people capable of doing the canyon au natural, but not many.

Recent rains will likely have changed the equation. We have had a lot of short rain events, so it is hard to say exactly what the effects are, except that it is likely that at least some rain has hit Imlay and some rain has hit Heaps.

Tom

Like Tom I have no clue, but wanna be cool and post also.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

6. Likes Byron, Renatomic808, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    We have had a lot of short rain events,
    Short whats?

Wait a minute... !

You took a break from flogging the s**t out of that physics nerd with your slide rule on the fall-factor-coalition?!?

*Pissed at self for spending any time at all on a physics forum*

*Goes to take a hot shower to wash the shame off*

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

8. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Even in low water conditions, there is a section in Imlay that is quite chilly. There are a few people capable of doing the canyon au natural, but not many.

Recent rains will likely have changed the equation. We have had a lot of short rain events, so it is hard to say exactly what the effects are, except that it is likely that at least some rain has hit Imlay and some rain has hit Heaps.

Tom
    Sucks to carry pack weight.. but personally I'd bring a wetsuit even when its bone dry. There's no reason to take any risk of getting hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    *Goes to take a hot shower to wash the shame off*

I usually take a cold shower. That way I have a reason for my "shame"

10. Likes Mojave Silence liked this post
    I too, have absolutely no idea what the conditions are in those canyons as well. But I'll be there in a couple weeks so I'll be sure to check this thread to verify that everyone is still clueless.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

12. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    I heard Heaps deadends these days.

14. Likes xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    Don't even think about going through without one of these guys

http://www.lowes.com/pd_65500-50116-...%2B&facetInfo=

Name:  051751012118lg.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  14.2 KB
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    but tom used more words, in not having a clue. He wins....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

17. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    but tom used more words, in not having a clue. He wins....
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Both these posts are stinkin' hilarious!!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Tom
    So sorry, fanboys... I've been spending time with the adults.

Let me translate that into Bogley-speak -

"You'd be a frakking IDIOT to go in there without a wetsuit, no matter how dry its bin reported. It's been rainin' - things get wet when it rains."

Carry on.

20. Likes Jow, pikan, dude9478, Scott Card, 2065toyota liked this post
    I have nothing intelligent or constructive to add to this thread.... but I shall post anyways.....

22. Likes pikan liked this post

Heaps and Imlay both have water, probably. If the water is cold, you will want a wetsuit.

25. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have some friends doing it tomorrow and ill post back either very late Saturday or Sunday of what they find.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I have some friends doing it tomorrow and ill post back either very late Saturday or Sunday of what they find.
    Thank the heavens above. I was ready to call the Mapleton team to go do one of these canyons just to shut this thread down.
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    So my friends finished in great time and here is what they said:

"the water level is about 2-3 feet from the lip, and it wasn't as fun with the lower water level but it was warmer, and was a little nerve racking with the Thunder above us about 9 raps from the exit, but the hooking was extra nice because all the holes were good, the guided rap and other rope work was fun too. And it was cool to see some other changes in the canyon. The logjams look the same from last year, and the 1st part of the canyon were the logs are are not a problem with low-water."

Btw - they were 3/2 full wetsuits and were fine the whole way through - and the low-water levels didn't make em cold.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm assuming the previous post was with regards to Imlay, we went through Heaps yesterday and the description does not seem to match up. We found heaps to be fairly full and not too difficult*, but take that with a grain of salt because a) it was our first time through so we had nothing to compare it to and b) we had an experienced group. Maybe it would help to add that some of the bigger keepers had water levels about 4 ft from the lip. All keepers were partner assists except one which we pack tossed. We had a group of 5 with wetsuits from 4/3 full to 3/2 farmer john. All were plenty warm except the 3/2 farmer john who got chilled a couple times. 7 hrs from top to top of last rap.

*Heaps is always difficult (except when it's not). Don't be stupid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    I'm assuming the previous post was with regards to Imlay, we went through Heaps yesterday and the description does not seem to match up. We found heaps to be fairly full and not too difficult, but take that with a grain of salt because a) it was our first time through so we had nothing to compare it to and b) we had an experienced group. Maybe it would help to add that some of the bigger keepers had water levels about 4 ft from the lip. All keepers were partner assists except one which we pack tossed. We had a group of 5 with wetsuits from 4/3 full to 3/2 farmer john. All were plenty warm except the 3/2 farmer john who got chilled a couple times. 7 hrs from top to top of last rap.
    Sorry, my bad. Yes, it was for imlay
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"