Thread: Pine Creek Shuttle Please

Pine Creek Shuttle Please

Anyone going to be doing pine creek or be in the area early friday morning of the 26th. Myself and two buddies are going for the combo platter but will only have one car. Planning on early pine then up to keyhole. we could use a ride up to pine from the second switch back. I don't like hitch hiking. not sure if it is even legal but i have done it plenty of times. Thanks.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    Planning on early pine then up to keyhole. we could use a ride up to pine from the second switch back. I don't like hitch hiking.
    ^ Kinda, sorta, really, this is the hard way. ^

Easy way: Park at switchback, hitchhike to Keyhole, do Keyhole, walk down to Pine Creek, do Pine Creek, hike down to car.

Possibly replace "hitchhike" with: "ride with awesome Bogley member".
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

good point. I do pine creek first that way i can drive straight to keyhole with out having to walk down the hyway or try to ride with a cool bolgley member all stinky with poo water. Hoping to be nice new water with all the rain zion has been getting looks like keyhole got hit again today maybe pine. I am a doplar radar junky.

We are arriving Sat July 20th and staying untill Sat July 27th after dark. We have a few canyons planned for the first part of the trip. We have an overnighter planned on the west rim trail for Wed - Thur. No canyons planned yet for Friday or Sat. Could possibly help you out on Fri. Are you camping there or in a hotel? We will be in Watchman campspot # is A07. If you cant line something up stop by and hopefully we can help you out.

We generally do keyhole first, then park at the upper pine creek (starting point for spry), and then just walk 5 minutes down the road to drop into Pine Creek. Then you don't ever have to fight for a parking spot. At that time of the day it's pretty easy to hit another group up that has a shuttle vehicle placed and just ride up with them

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    yeah good point on grabing a ride with someone else. iflycr500 i will for sure hit you up ifyou are available we are probably camping in coalpits wash or maybe on the the north creek. i'll shoot you a pm later. we are shooting for something around 8am or so. maybe 9 if we are up late the night before.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    not sure if it is even legal but ...
    Hitch hiking is legal in National Parks, as long as you do it safely.

Xception: if an Interstate Highway is in a NP, I bet it is not legal to HH on it.

Tom

Hitch hiking is legal in National Parks, as long as you do it safely.
    Tom, do you know if there an official statement on this somewhere?

The only reason I mention this is because a ranger kind of threw a (small) fit when I mentioned that I was going to catch a ride from one trailhead to another while getting my backcountry permit last April in Canyonlands National Park.

I was going to go in the Confluence Overlook and out Elephant Hill while doing a big loop. You have to put your vehicle information on the permit and when I mentioned that we only had one car, they ask how we would get back to the other trailhead. I mentioned that I was going to catch a ride and was given a spill that hitchhiking is illegal in all national parks. I changed plans and entered and exited Elephant Hill because of this.

I have found no NPS blanket statements other than the one claimed on the Canyonlands website that it is illegal in all parks.

In some national parks, such as Bryce Canyon, for example, their website says that it is illegal in that specific park, but doesn't say that it is for all parks:

http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisi...ochure2009.pdf

On the Canyonlands website, it says that hitchhiking in all national parks is illegal (see under "Transportation"):

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisi...ripPlanner.pdf

Zion and Great Sand Dunes seem to indicate that it is allowed in those specific parks.

So far, the only place I have been that has made an issue about it is Canyonlands. In fact in Capitol Reef, I've actually gotten rides from the rangers.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    good point. I do pine creek first that way i can drive straight to keyhole with out having to walk down the hyway or try to ride with a cool bolgley member all stinky with poo water. Hoping to be nice new water with all the rain zion has been getting looks like keyhole got hit again today maybe pine. I am a doplar radar junky.

I did "sewer canyon" this last sat and it was tip top full. Check candition and u can see my comments.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We generally do keyhole first, then park at the upper pine creek (starting point for spry), and then just walk 5 minutes down the road to drop into Pine Creek. Then you don't ever have to fight for a parking spot. At that time of the day it's pretty easy to hit another group up that has a shuttle vehicle placed and just ride up with them
    Any plan that involves 3 car rides through the tunnel seems like a logistical 'fail'.

If you are going to be shameless, and hitchhike while wet and stinky, just hitch from Key to Pine. Save yourself the extra 2 laps through the tunnel.

I'd rather be on my second beer at Oscar's than on my third lap through the tunnel. YMMV.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

13. Likes Taylor liked this post