Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spry Canyon Closed Due To Mountain Lion

Spry Canyon Closed Due To Mountain Lion

Does anyone have details to how long Spry will be closed?? I tried calling the backcountry desk to see how long it will be closed for but I haven't received a response. I'm supposed to be hitting that canyon up this weekend and would like to know if I need to switch up my plans.

Spry Canyon has been closed for the following reason(s):
    Condition: Spry Canyon is closed due to a mountain lion activity within the canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
    Does anyone have details to how long Spry will be closed?? I tried calling the backcountry desk to see how long it will be closed for but I haven't received a response. I'm supposed to be hitting that canyon up this weekend and would like to know if I need to switch up my plans.

Spry Canyon has been closed for the following reason(s):
    Condition: Spry Canyon is closed due to a mountain lion activity within the canyon.
    As long as there are sheep in the area, there will be Mt. lions.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

That is ridiculous. Then all canyons should be closed. There are so many lions in the area that it is often referred to as "Lion National Park"

Just send a scout troop through... those scout masters know how to deal with pesky wildlife.

6. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just send a scout troop through... those scout masters know how to deal with pesky wildlife.

Can't imagine why it would be closed for this...

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    That is ridiculous. Then all canyons should be closed. There are so many lions in the area that it is often referred to as "Lion National Park"
    At least you didn't say "lion's" National Park, that would have just been wrong in so many ways.

But on a serious note, Zion likely holds one of the, if not the, greatest populations of Mtn. Lions in the West.

Any actual sightings are rare. The only reason a lion will stay in a particular area is food or sex--that's it!

The rest of the time they are on the move. Tom's cover a huge range, often exceeding 100 miles, in search of----food and sex.

Females have a much smaller area, generally 3-5 sq. miles.

A female could and likely does live in the Spry area, it has everything she could want.

A tom in this area would certainly be visiting or passing through, only stopping for--food and/or sex.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes Byron liked this post
    The only reason a lion will stay in a particular area is food or sex--that's it!
    The same is true for all male species.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I didn't realize this thread was about Tom and his roamings in Zion in search of cougar sex....

Yikes! Haha!

12. Likes tylerhirshfeld, Byron, ratagonia liked this post
    I didn't realize this thread was about Tom and his roamings in Zion in search of cougar sex....

Yikes! Haha!
    Yikes is right! How old would a woman have to be to be considered a cougar for Tom?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

14. Likes Brian in SLC, Byron liked this post
    I know Jon ran into one in Dead Eye Dick a couple weeks back. There were fresh tracks down that entire canyon when we went through and there was an elk kill there we found

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Tom's cover a huge range, often exceeding 100 miles, in search of----food and sex.
    I can identify with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I know Jon ran into one in Dead Eye Dick a couple weeks back. There were fresh tracks down that entire canyon when we went through and there was an elk kill there we found
    Now we're bringing dicks into this discussion.... Woof!

I was behind a group in Pine Creek on Saturday that said they were one of two groups that reported the mountain lion. It was at the last rappel, on the ledge near the tree anchor. They never saw it but it hissed at them to protect a kill, they abandoned the rappel and took the sand hill down. Rangers told them that a lion will usually stay with a kill for a week, so that was their plan for the closure.

And here we thought they shut it down because tom was out looking for food and sex with a cougar.

Stories get soo messed up.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

If I came across him I'd hope it's not love he's looking for... cause I didn't bring that kind of protection.

I also think this closure is silly.

Just imagine a mountain lion stalking a canyoneer...

Hmmm... smells like stanky 5.10's, a urine soaked rental suit from ZAC, with a light dusting of random Imlay Canyon Gear. Gotta eat me some of that!

That would be one disappointed kitty... hacking up a neoprene-hairball-fiddlestick the next day.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    .. a urine soaked rental suit from ZAC,
    Now that's a lovely image . I'm glad I own my own wetsuit and don't have to rent one...

On a serious note, I once saw Mt lion tracks following mine in the San Rafael Swell after I turned back to go upcanyon. I never saw the lion, but it's tracks were ontop of mine.. gave me the creeps

I've encounter two mountain lions in my life. One was in Nine Mile Canyon, the other was in Escalante above Calf Creek Falls. Both times the lion was way more interested in leaving then in having dinner or sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Both times the lion was way more interested in leaving then in having dinner or sex.
    Those cougars are way to picky! They won't even have dinner with you!

Cougars don't need dinner. Like my Dad always told me growing up, Candy is dandy....but Liquor is quicker!