Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moab: Lockhart Basin to Elephant Hill to Beef Basin

AWESOME! Thanks for posting. I need to take my boys on a trip like that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a blast. I've been to chicken corners and beef basin in my 2010 taco. Need to get to these other places still.

Nice report. Probably my favorite 4X4 route of all time (Beef Basin/Elephant Hill loop).

So, how was it getting up Bobby's Hole? I've always gone down.

PS, Gypsum Canyon is one of the most spectacular places on the Colorado Plateau. Did you have time to check it out?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Another amazing TR! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yea, done the Lockhart Basin Trail once and I was beginning to think it was NEVER going to end.

Thanks for putting this together and look forward to the video.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Outstanding!!

And I have an 05 tacoma trd.

What type of suspension mods you guys use?

I have Camburg coilovers up front and Deavers in the back.

It seems to flex fairly well but I haven't done many trails with it---yet.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Awesome trip report, man! I love this shot of Fender. What breed is he?

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    So, how was it getting up Bobby's Hole? I've always gone down.
    It wasn't tough at all, but I'm used to more rock-crawling trails like Golden Spike, Rubicon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    PS, Gypsum Canyon is one of the most spectacular places on the Colorado Plateau. Did you have time to check it out?
    No, I don't think so. I don't know where that is.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Outstanding!!

And I have an 05 tacoma trd.

What type of suspension mods you guys use?

I have Camburg coilovers up front and Deavers in the back.

It seems to flex fairly well but I haven't done many trails with it---yet.
    Sounds like a great setup. I've tried a lot of different setups, and my favorite is OME hands-down. I had Icons and total chaos and alcans on my past taco, and I prefer the ARBs in every aspect. Here's a build thread of my truck:

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...ghlight=carlos

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the rig. I'm kind of a technical nerd with that stuff. Talk to cruiseroutfit on here for parts, he is in Sandy and sells them all through his company, Cruiser Outfitters.

You should check out our Quarterly Training day this weekend. it's a great way for people like yourself to get into the sport. We talk about places to go, favorite trails, recovery, planning a trip, etc.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...ight=quarterly

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Awesome trip report, man! I love this shot of Fender. What breed is he?

Nobody would guess it, but Fender is a Mexican Hairless, a Xoloitzcuintle (Xolo for short). He's the best dog ever. He was the only one in the liter born with hair, and neither of his parents had hair. I think there are only 3 xolos in utah. He's the only one with hair.

11. Likes Udink liked this post
    I'm running 3" of OME lift on my 2010 tacoma. Been pretty happy with it but am starting to get some sag in the rear with a full camping load and everyone in the truck. Time to replace some parts it seems.

No, I don't think so. I don't know where that is.
    It starts from near Beef Basin. Right away the canyon spills over several beautiful and flowing waterfalls. The entire canyon is laces with spectacular waterfalls including some of the highest on the Colorado Plateau.

Just in case you were interested.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Great TR

We found this weird hollow piece of metal. We saw a couple others along the way. Does anyone know what it is? It's open on the bottom.
    Any other pics of it?

I hope it's appropriate to post here.
    Sure is

Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I'm running 3" of OME lift on my 2010 tacoma. Been pretty happy with it but am starting to get some sag in the rear with a full camping load and everyone in the truck. Time to replace some parts it seems.
    OME has an add-a-leaf you can add to the rear pack. It's for heavier loads. With my roof top tent I need the extra leaf. Without it, I don't. Give Curt @ cruiseroutfitters a call, he'll take care of you.

Dang, that video is awesome!

My wife and I drove out to Elephant Hill a few years ago and didn't get to try it because a roll over had blocked the trail. Definitely need to get out and do this one. Looks fairly mild as far as difficulty goes...did your video show all the challenging parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Dang, that video is awesome!

Looks fairly mild as far as difficulty goes...did your video show all the challenging parts?
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. The charles wells book is a MUST if you plan on doing any of these Moab trails. I recommend the spiral-bound version so it stays open. This book does a great job of describing the trail and obstacles. It's not a very technical trail compared to Moab Rim or Golden Spike, but more technical does not always equal more fun for me. I've done the technical stuff for years, but I'm more into the mellow trails that are tough enough to keep the subarus and minivans out, but not requiring a full on rock-buggy. I think Elephant Hill is the perfect balance between medium technicality and scenic/fun. As always, what may be "medium" to me might be "super easy" or "super hardcore" to another person, so take it with a grain of sale.

There are one or two other challenging parts that are on the video, but I think I captured the overall feel/difficulty of the trail.

20. Likes oldno7, JP, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Killer report man.

post #19 updated with video.
    Excellent

That looks like a great trip I've been wanting to do that trail for a long time now. Maybe I can find someone to go with us, I don't like the idea of doing it in just one vehicle. Thanks for the trip report.