Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Dogs Allowed!

The ban on dogs in the Cottonwoods is absolutely not stupid and ridiculous. I think it's fantastic that there are some places to hike without dumbass dogs hassling me and scaring my kids.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I don't buy the argument that dog feces is worse than other animals.
    Any scientific evidence to back up your belief?

Interesting question. It seems to me the water has to be treated regardless? Which would likely entail removing the solids, then killing the bacteria. so whether there is 23 million bacteria or 100 million bacteria is moot. Not familiar with the process though

They did the same thing down here in kanarraville canyon. But I still see tons of dogs when I cruz up there, fight the power!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Interesting question. It seems to me the water has to be treated regardless? Which would likely entail removing the solids, then killing the bacteria. so whether there is 23 million bacteria or 100 million bacteria is moot.
    That's kind of an interesting way to look at it. But, in your example, the amount of nasty stuff isn't moot. Its hugely important.

I've had municipal water treatment explained to me, but, I'm really fairly ignorant about it. What I remember, is, both Cryptosporidium parvum and Gairdia is tough to kill in water treatment. You don't have to do much googling to find fairly solid info on studies showing dog poop is full of that stuff, compared to deer, etc.

E. Coli and fecal coliform are fun too. Dog feces has it in much higher concentrations than wildlife.

I think its kinda like this: folks don't get sick from drinking water with a couple of nasties in it. They get sick when the concentration of nasty stuff is high enough. So, yeah, wildlife carry nasties. Dogs' do do does too.

Water treatment for a city doesn't really kill everything. It reduces the baddies to "acceptable levels". And, how and what does that is based on what they think the quality of the water coming in contains.

Would you drink water out of a mountain stream, or, from a sewage pipe? How 'bout if each were treated as if both were mountain stream water?

Water is tested to beat the band in the U.S. Do they find bad stuff? Sure, all the time. But, the levels are "acceptable". And you don't get sick when the concentrations of bad stuff is low. When its high? Sure, that's trouble.

http://www.waterquality.utah.gov/Monitoring/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by brettyb View Post
    The ban on dogs in the Cottonwoods is absolutely not stupid and ridiculous. I think it's fantastic that there are some places to hike without dumbass dogs hassling me and scaring my kids.
    Agreed. Especially being so close to a large metropolitan area. You just can't count on people having enough self control to not bring their stupid dog up there. With a big enough population base, you are bound to get a few stupits with no self control or consideration whatsoever for others. There are. I'm sure, people with well mannered dogs that could recreate with them responsibly up there, to no other's detriment, but all it takes is a few idiots with I'll-raised dogs to screw it up for everyone else. I hate humans...

So why not ban people from the mountains as well? If I follow your arguments then there must be just as much bacteria and nasties in human feces as in dogs. Don't tell me it's because people can dispose of their waste properly because we can also do that with our dog's waste. Why not just have a law requiring all pet waste to be packed out? I would happily comply. The reason people are not banned as well as dogs is because we know the few contaminants our waste contributes to the watershed is not worth depriving ourselves of the beauty and enjoyment of the mountains. Well that is how I feel about dogs too. They should not be deprived either. Nor should people be deprived of the enjoyment they get bringing their dogs up there. It all comes down to one question. "Is the reward worth the cost?" In my opinion, yes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    That's kind of an interesting way to look at it. But, in your example, the amount of nasty stuff isn't moot. Its hugely important.

I've had municipal water treatment explained to me, but, I'm really fairly ignorant about it. What I remember, is, both Cryptosporidium parvum and Gairdia is tough to kill in water treatment. You don't have to do much googling to find fairly solid info on studies showing dog poop is full of that stuff, compared to deer, etc.

E. Coli and fecal coliform are fun too. Dog feces has it in much higher concentrations than wildlife.

I think its kinda like this: folks don't get sick from drinking water with a couple of nasties in it. They get sick when the concentration of nasty stuff is high enough. So, yeah, wildlife carry nasties. Dogs' do do does too.

Water treatment for a city doesn't really kill everything. It reduces the baddies to "acceptable levels". And, how and what does that is based on what they think the quality of the water coming in contains.

Would you drink water out of a mountain stream, or, from a sewage pipe? How 'bout if each were treated as if both were mountain stream water?

Water is tested to beat the band in the U.S. Do they find bad stuff? Sure, all the time. But, the levels are "acceptable". And you don't get sick when the concentrations of bad stuff is low. When its high? Sure, that's trouble.

http://www.waterquality.utah.gov/Monitoring/index.htm
    Yeah I guess what I was thinking is they boil the water or some UV light system. Which seems like it would kill most bacteria regardless of concentration since the "environment" is no longer bacteria friendly. But what they most likely do is add some nasty chemicals, like chlorine or iodine, which they have to keep to a lower level because also harmful to humans, which thereby lowers it's effectiveness, kinda like npt putting enough chlorine in your pool. Makes sense I guess.

Good post!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Pure BS, literally. Cabin owner's & residence in both cyn's do not have to obey with the watershed rules & their hounds roam freely on their land in both of these cyn's. The damage is done... Most the water that is consumed here in the the Salt Lake Valley comes from the Provo River drainage delivered by Jordan Valley Conservancy District. Drive along the Provo River and notice the pasture's littered with cow's, horses and the likes. Fish the Provo and notice the hounds that are walked daily along the river. Also, people on the Provo drainage are free to wade or float the river without waders. Enter Big or Little Cottonwood Creek without waders and you can be cited. The difference is a little treatment cost's. Me personally I feel it is something dreamn't up by some local asswipe enviro trying to lock up the land for themselves & as a Sandy resident I'm quite fed up with the anti-hound attitude found here in the Salt Lake Valley...
    Outlawed

Agreed. Especially being so close to a large metropolitan area. You just can't count on people having enough self control to not bring their stupid dog up there. With a big enough population base, you are bound to get a few stupits with no self control or consideration whatsoever for others. There are. I'm sure, people with well mannered dogs that could recreate with them responsibly up there, to no other's detriment, but all it takes is a few idiots with I'll-raised dogs to screw it up for everyone else. I hate humans...
    How about the bonehead cyclist's who think's they need to ride two abreast along a narrow cyn road or the mtn biker flying downhill with little disregard for hiker's safety. The hiker who takes no precaution for safety themselves and find's that their stranded on a cliff relying on tax payer's rescue. A skier out abounds taken out by a avalanche also relying on a tax payers rescue. The list goes on & on for idiot's as it is human nature. Their are idiot's in every venue so with your attitude they should all be banned if you don't agree. That kind of thinking will find yourself banned
    Outlawed