Thread: Camp Stoves?

Camp Stoves?

What do y'all use or recommend? We've got some upcoming trips that don't allow open flame. Has anyone tried the Solo Stove?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lotta people have talked about the jetboil on here. Do a search and you'll find a lot of comments on them.

I am still pissed at Jetboil - I bought their first model years ago intending to use it snow camping and snowshoeing and I even bought a 2nd cup - it never worked as advertised at altitude - it would not light with the Piezo. Replacement part was no help. I recently transplanted my MSR Pocket Rocket burner into it (will use matches to light it) . Also bought the new MSR Micro Rocket with external igniter.

This is my go to stove...it's the Superfly. It'll adapt to any canister, because those stinking French can't go with the program and make them with threads. If you travel outside the US, this is the one to have. It's very lightweight, and puts out some serious flame action.

Otherwise the Pocket Rockets work well for ultralight backpacking.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I am still pissed at Jetboil - I bought their first model years ago intending to use it snow camping and snowshoeing and I even bought a 2nd cup - it never worked as advertised at altitude - it would not light with the Piezo
    It's not the altitude, it's the cold. Canister stoves actually work better at high altitude, assuming the temperature was the same.

As far as not working as per advertised, the Jetboil has always been rated for a minimum operating temperature of 32F/0C (though it usually works at lower temperatures than that; but not when it's really cold). Most of the time when snow camping, it is below 32F, so the Jetboil actually does work as advertized.

I too have had problems getting mine to work properly in cold weather, but it's not (and never was) meant for that (the Jetboil Helios is rated for -10F though and works better in the cold).

As far as the external lighters go, in my experience at least, those always wear out rather quickly on all stoves I've tried. Don't rely on them.

The pocket rocket is my favorite summer stove, but I haven't tried the Superfly yet.

For cold weather, I prefer my Xpert, but it is no longer made. It is the only canister stove I've found to be reliable in cold weather and is even more reliable in the cold than my MSR white gas stoves (XKG and Whisperlight). Too bad they stopped making it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I use a couple of stoves, depending on the weather. I love them both.

This is what I use for anything that is going to be above freezing weather.
    MSR Pocket Rocket
    Name:  CAN.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  19.8 KB

If the weather is going to be cold, I use this bad boy
    MSR Whisperlite
    Name:  SC.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  24.0 KB
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I have been using the Snow Peak GigaPower stove for ten years now. The Piezo starter has always worked perfectly. Even after it gets a little wet from rain. The stove is stable and you can easily adjust the flame. I highly recommend you take a look at it. I have found that it works best with the JetPower fuel canisters. The Snow Peak canisters work horribly in cold weather.

Name:  bbe219f2-8839-4289-b208-be6ae4ec0a16.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  57.6 KB

I also have an MSR Whisperlite - bought for heavy duty snow camping. Its bulky and heavy and some fuss and bother. Works well, though. I even picked up a full set of spare pump stuff (including the pump) at an REI used equipment sale.

Big fan of the MSR Windpro. Remote can operation. Allows for a windscreen with no concerns for overheating the fuel. Also, you can get that last drop out by flippin' the fuel canister upside down. Fast, light and in windy conditions, awesome. Probably use it more for car camping. Good for longer trips in windy country (saves on fuel by using a windscreen).

Pocket Rocket...also great. For trips where I'm going as light as possible. 3oz and takes up nearly no room. Fits in one of them small Ti pots.

Simmerlite. Great multi fuel stove (maybe not advertised as such). Quiet, compact, and, mine runs like a champ on unleaded gas (!). Discontinued.

Had great luck on many trips with Whisperlites.

Got a Dragonfly that's unused with a broken pump I'd sell for a good price if you're interested. I'd toss in a fuel bottle too. Also have a trillium stove base (unused) and a Blacklite Mondo pot set (unused). Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Big fan of the MSR Windpro. Remote can operation. Allows for a windscreen with no concerns for overheating the fuel. Also, you can get that last drop out by flippin' the fuel canister upside down. Fast, light and in windy conditions, awesome. Probably use it more for car camping. Good for longer trips in windy country (saves on fuel by using a windscreen).
    Pocket Rocket...also great. For trips where I'm going as light as possible. 3oz and takes up nearly no room. Fits in one of them small Ti pots.

Simmerlite. Great multi fuel stove (maybe not advertised as such). Quiet, compact, and, mine runs like a champ on unleaded gas (!). Discontinued.

Had great luck on many trips with Whisperlites.

Got a Dragonfly that's unused with a broken pump I'd sell for a good price if you're interested. I'd toss in a fuel bottle too. Also have a trillium stove base (unused) and a Blacklite Mondo pot set (unused). Let me know.

Thanks Brian, seen it to late and got something ordered already

And so......what did you end up getting?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    And so......what did you end up getting?
    We got the MSR Wind Pro

I loved my Optimus Nova+...until I left it on a rock in Zion. You could burn just about anything in it. White gas, unleaded, even kerosine in a pinch. It always worked and made cold stuff hot. It operated ideally with white gas though. Someday I'll replace it.