Thread: Telephone Canyon - June 29, 2013

Telephone Canyon - June 29, 2013

A prelude to our Imlay trip the next day, this canyon is a gem. Often overlooked, it is one of the better canyons in Zion. Pothole scenery, down climb challenges, and over 10 rappels give this canyon a high ranking in my book. Even though the day was scorching hot, we managed to keep going by not conserving our water and pouring it over our heads.

Some other crazy folks besides us had it in mind that day, as we were stunned to see four other canyoneers late in the afternoon with no packs and little water. Wow, hope they made it.

Once we filled up our water bottles at the spring, Tyler, myself, Mike, and Kelli finished the remaining hike through some brush to the first big drop. From there, the fun just continued. Rappel after rappel and down climb after down climb. We only saw people from scout lookout to the shuttle.

You can still beat the heat. Good times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree telephone is an underrated canyon, it's better if you can combine it with behunin but still a good day by itself. It's one of the few in Zion with multiple downclimbs in it.

very cool been thinking about this one for a while. I guess it is the hike up and lack of water that puts on the "not to do list" for most people. Gonna have to give it a try maybe in the fall when its cooler.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Nice report Mark! Thinking about doing this one myself.

What was your shuttle-to-shuttle time?

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I've reserved permits twice so far this year and stuff has come up that we had to bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice report Mark! Thinking about doing this one myself.

What was your shuttle-to-shuttle time?

Bob
    We were moving fairly quick, 6.5 hours from shuttle to shuttle. That included a lunch break and filtering water. Without the heat, I think it could be done in under 6 hrs, or if you go at an easy pace 8-9 hours.

I highly recommend this canyon! I really liked all the raps, challenging down climbs, and beauty of the hike. A bit challenging in there, similar to North Wash canyons. One of the better ones in Zion IMO.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I've reserved permits twice so far this year and stuff has come up that we had to bail.
    Ugh - keep trying. Let us know when you go. Love to hear what you think.