Thread: monsoon finally

monsoon finally

Looks like there is some weather moving through Zion finally. Monsoon season for us here in Vegas means cooler temps and some dang rain. Post up any pics or floods you guys might get the next couple of days.

The rain here looks like it might actually put out this dang fire we have been dealing with.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We are doing Full Imlay on Saturday. All our prep could be in vain, it may be full swimmer again

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    According to the "old" method of monsoon determination, it started on July 7th.

Nice storm moving through Southern Utah right now, lots of lightning,rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Fill those slots up with water so I have a nice playground in two weeks... .

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Supposed to be some pretty significant weather in Zion this weekend.

"The National Weather Service has advised that Zion National Park may experience significant weather starting today and continuing through next Thursday. The National Weather Service advised that there are some of the highest precipitable water values that they have seen in a long time.

All of the moisture could generate significant thunderstorms and could cause significant flash flooding. Please use extreme caution when visiting the park during the next few days." http://go.usa.gov/TSkk

I've been watching 'cause we'll be at Panguitch reservoir mtn biking all weekend and it looks like we're going to be rained on every day there! I've been in Imlay when it started raining and running with water and it was a long night and hike out from the crossroads. Very, very, scary.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

There are no permits being issued at this time due to the flash flood warning in affect. At least that is what the Zion permits page is saying

Bogley BigShot
    It poured today! It was great!

We get there next week on Sat, looks like everything will be nice and full of fresh water.

Blog Entries
    I'm excited too - hitting up Eye of Needle with ZAC on sat, and echo on Sunday. Yay for water
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I just watched a big Cell move through the pine creek and east fork of the virgin area. Looks like they got hit pretty hard. there was a flash flood warning in effect for that area until 730 tonight. It also said that the east fork was flooding as well as all the tributaries and some small washes twards hurricane and la verican. Hope it fills them up.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iflycr500 View Post
    We get there next week on Sat, looks like everything will be nice and full of fresh water.
    Maybe, maybe not.

As that great canyoneer Tip O'Neil said:

"All precipitation is local."

It takes a direct hit with significant rain to fill up many of the canyons. Just because it rained hard somewhere in Zion, does not mean it rained enough to fill up Heaps or Imlay, or any other specific canyon.

Your mileage may vary.

Closed Course, Professional Driver.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    It takes a direct hit with significant rain to fill up many of the canyons. Just because it rained hard somewhere in Zion, does not mean it rained enough to fill up Heaps or Imlay, or any other specific canyon.
    Experienced this very thing last year. We had just finished Echo and as we approached the bus stop it started to rain. On the way back to the Visitor Center we watched a massive waterfall coming off of Cable Mtn and truly believed that we'd just dodged a bullet.

Later reports stated that Echo had not flashed at all--I still can't believe it...

Last weekend. Keyhole completely full and pine creek dry as I've seen it

So Keyhole has filled up. HUH cool. I might have to do a pine creek Keyhole combo on the 26th when i come up.