Thread: The Great White Icicle - 8 July 2013

The Great White Icicle - 8 July 2013

I was reading @Slot Machine 's recent trip report to what is known as the Great White Icicle in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Some of the pictures in this trip report were outstanding! I commented and thanked the author of the trip report for his stunning photos and then thought: "Hey, this will be the perfect week for me to go do that! My wife is gone to girls camp and I will need somthing to do. This adventure sounds perfect!" With that thought in mind I was shocked to see a PM with an invite to tag along for a trip up the waterfall route.

The planning happened very quickly (which I prefer). The TR was posted on the 4th of July. I commented on the post on the 6th. On the 8th I found myself making some new canyoneering friends as we hiked to the top of a beautiful waterfall!

The Great White Icicle is better knowns as a winter ice climbing route, but durring the summer it is a wonderful 3C II canyoneering/cascading adventure! And a wodnerful and very beautiful adventure it is!

It took about an hour to get to the trail head where I was to meet Bob (the guy who was gunna guide me through the falls) It was a great meeting. It is so nice to put a real person to the internet avatars I communicate with on the canyoneering interwebs. Bob is known to me as the Slot Machine (his Bogley name), and truly, in his few years of canyoneering he has gained a lot of expirence in the canyons. I learned a lot from just being around him and watching his group manage the drops and rappels. He has some pretty awesome stories to share as well. All in all, it was a very plesent expirence for me to meet this canyoneer and his friends.

The hike to the top is a bit technical. It requires some steep scrambeling and some good route finding. (luckily I was with a group that has done it a few times and had the route dialed in pretty well.) The falls were beautiful! It is pretty much a 650ish foot waterfall that you rappel down in stages. It is the first waterfall I have ever done this way. Needless to say, it was a very unique and very beautiful exprience! Like all waterfall rappels, it seems that the closer you get to the falls the prettier it is! The view of the water fall from the road is cool, but the view ya get while rappelling down in the waterfall is so much better. The way the water falls down the side of this granite canyon is very pretty. I love the cascades, and the dripping vibrant green moss. I love the way the water twists, falls and shoots off and around the rock. I love the way I get splashed as I rappel down the falls.

Here are some pics of our adventure! Huge thanks to Bob the "Slot Machine" and @Absolute Gravity ! It was awesome to get to meet and learn from him!

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! Great photos! Thanks for the kind words Blake! It means a LOT coming from a 2X Heaps veteran. Shoot, after seeing all the toys on your harness, it's clear that I have much to learn from you.

Thanks for making the drive to Salt Lake, great to meet you. My turn to drive. Looking forward to Bridal Veil Falls!
    ____

And Steven (in the Coke shirt), good to meet you too! Hope you stick with the sport, looking forward to getting out with you again! Buy a backpack!!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    2X Heaps veteran. Shoot, after seeing all the toys on your harness, it's clear that I have much to learn from you.
    Haha! This 2X heaps veteran has only ever done that canyon when it is full of water . Hardly anything to brag about LOL

and "Toys" is right. I only carry all that stuff around to make myself look cooler than I really am
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I always thought the number one sign of how good of a canyoneer a person is is the amount of stuff they have hanging from their harness. The more jingle-jangle when they walk, the better the canyoneer. Obviously. Great report!
    --Cliff

7. Likes Kuya liked this post