Thread: [INVITE] Canyoning in the Alps

[INVITE] Canyoning in the Alps

Myself and 3 friends are going to be canyoning in the Alps from July 27 to August 11.
    We will be
    attending the Italian Canyoning Association Rendezvous one week and the Como Mountaineering Association Rendezvous the following week.

Let me know if anyone is going to be in the area and would like to join us.
    I'm Italian, I speak the language and know how things work over there.

[EXTRACT FROM A PRIOR POST ON MEETUP]

The Italian Canyoning Association (AIC) organizes anInternational Canyoning Rendezvous every summer. Canyoneers from around theworld attend this gathering to meet new friends and explore fantastic canyonsfor an entire week. However, this year the Como Mountaineering Association (CAI) is also organizing his own canyoning rendezvous,which starts precisely when the AIC Raduno ends and just a couple hours driveaway.

Since these Radunos provide logistics, lodging, canyon beta,catering, social events and even accident insurance at a very low cost, thesetwo Radunos (AIC & CAI) provide a cost effective way to spend twosolid weeks descending some of the best canyons in the world!

WHEN & WHERE?

The Raduno AIC will be from July 27 to August 4 nearDomodossola, on the NorthEast Italian border with Switzerland, an area withsome spectacular canyons (Mondelli, Rasiga, etc.). The Raduno CAI will beAugust 3 to August 11 near Porlezza, with easy access to the best Italian andSwitzerland canyons (Bodengo, Bares, Cresciano, Lodrino, etc.). Both Radunosare accesible from Milan International airports (there's 3 of them) as well as Lugano (switzerland).

THE CANYONS
    ALL the canyons in the Alps are"CLASS C"! Some canyons are easy, some are very intense. They arerated like whitewater rapids from class 1 (little water) to class 6 (extremewater). ALTHOUGH NOT REQUIRED, PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH CLASS C CANYONS IS HIGHLYRECOMMENDED! The closest thing you'll find in North America is Jump Canyon(CA), 7 Teacups (CA), Salome (Arizona), Matacanes (Mexico) & Hydrophobia(Mexico). If you've never done any true Class C canyons take a look at this videoof Bodengo (Italy) to get an idea of what mess you'll get into: http://www.facebook.com/video/video....1786102&ref=mf

LODGING
    Camping is the cheapest and usually best option since mostsocial activities happen around camp. They usually make available a soccerfield for people to camp for free. On-site facilities usually have fullbathrooms (flush toilets & showers) that run 24h/day with power outlets andsometimes wifi.
    If you don't want to bring camping gear,you can buy it at Decathlon after you arrive, use it for two weeks and donateit before you leave. Decathlonsells inexpensive quality gear, may be able to order online and have it shippedto the Raduno too. www.decathlon.com
    GEAR
    Bring full canyon gear: Helmet, Shoes, Gloves, Wetsuit, Harness& descender.
    Glacier melt water can sometimes be 50Feven in summer. So 5mm FULL BODY wetsuit will be mandatory, preferably semi-dryor farmer john + jacket. Youcan buy discounted semi-dry Camaro wetsuits at www.Sierratradingpost.comThere's usually vendors at the Radunos that will sellspecialized canyon wetsuits, but do not count on it for the first few days.
    We should also plan to bring one 200ft rope for everycouple people.
    CAR
    We should share cars! Fiat Panda (fit 5 people) from Jul27 to Aug 11 costs 560E ($730) at http://uk.pepecar.com and $958 with Costco Travel.
    FLIGHT
    The flight is going to be the biggest expense. Right now a roundtrip to Europe from San Diego quotes for around $1600, your location might becheaper. There's often ways to find cheap fares online. Best sites:
    www.bookingbuddy.com: good multi searchsite including kayak.com and orbitz.com
    www.FlightFox.com: you pay $40 butthey may save you thousands

MORE INFORMATION

RADUNO CAI:
    http://www.porlezza2013.it/
    https://www.facebook.com/events/451012011643434/
    Enrollment: 36E ($47) if before May 31st
    Included: Free camping, t-shirt, canyon booklet, gadget
    Insurance: Add 8E ($10.5) to cover rescue and hospital duringevent
    Extras: Free access to pool and lake beach
    Extras: Free tents for foreigners (tent sleep 8 people)
    Catering: group dinners with 3 course meal + wine for 13E/night($17)
    Packed Lunch: 5E ($6.5)
    RADUNO AIC: (similar conditions)
    http://www.aic-canyoning.it/index.ph...=85&Itemid=196
    https://www.facebook.com/events/196747053782234/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I probably couldn't recommend this enough...both venues loaded with probably the best canyoning in Europe...and...as a bonus, you get Luca too. Like a guide only better looking...ha ha.

Wish I could go but Madeira ate my vacation!

These gigs are about as good as it gets...really.

I so wish I could go to this. Maybe someday I will. My time canyoneering in Italy was INCREDIBLE! I can't wait for the day I get to go back!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

If someone would like to spot me the $3-5K and work out the permission issues with my wife...I will go and take lots of pics for Bogley.

As I said, the flight is the biggest expense.
    If you can get your employer (or a prospective employer) to pay for a flight anywhere in to Europe, the you're there. Then you can take cheap trains to travel across Europe.

Once in Italy I seldom spend more than $200 per week (including camping and all meals).

I don't know any tricks for the wife permit... sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by lucach View Post
    I don't know any tricks for the wife permit... sorry...
    My bet is that you do! Ha ha...

I'll ditto the above, though. Airfare is the biggest bite. Last year, at the AIC Rendezvous in Delebio, the lodging was free with the price of the git together. Dinners were fairly cheap. Split a car but some folks just took the train.

The man himself in action in Italy (Cormor):

Name:  Luca.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  51.5 KB