Thread: Another project of mine - the Canyon List

Blog Entries

Another project of mine - the Canyon List

It seems like I start so many projects but never finish em, eh? Don't worry, the Canyoneering 101 Document is nearly finished, but lack of free time currently prevents it from being finished - but, that will change in the next two weeks.

But in the meantime, the Betabase on CC inspired another idea for me.

The betabase is great and provides just enough information, but I want a list that shows the bare essentials as you make a itinerary for your future trips.

Basically it would provide the ACA canyon rating, number of raps, maximum length, duration for the hike, permit required, which beta website/source has it, and other possible categories such as "recommened group size" and "not for large frame people" and so on.

And the ultimate goal of this project is to make it widely available so you can print these out (which will already be formatted for printing) and put them in your car or in your canyoneering bag, etc.

It's essentially a cheatsheet of just the canyon info.

***Take a look and let me know what you think! Any criticism I'll gladly take. Different format? Different colors? Different column categories? anything on how to improve it? etc.

The Canyons that are italicized are canyons that are semi-technical or non-technical but are fun canyons, nonetheless.
    One thing, I would like to do to enhance the localization of the canyons. Instead of North Wash and Lake Powell and Poison Springs all blending into one area - more specific regions would be better and better equip the canyoneer.****
    Edit: removed color since it is hard to read on mobile phones.

PS - I have plenty more canyons to enter in as well for most other regions. I'll be including books as well, such as ones from Kelsey.

****WARNING - DO NOT TRUST THIS INFO AS IT IS IN BETA MODE***

EDIT: I can't upload the Excel document directly, as .xls and .xlsx file formats are not supported by Bogley (yet) - but I did publish it to a PDF for your viewing pleasure. It doesn't look super great as a PDF, but once the xls is supported, then it will look great on your PC or in print copy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes summitseeker liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It looks good. I'd change 'large frame' to 'weight restriction'. Then include the weight limit. I'd change 'tallest rappel' to 'longest rappel'. Maybe add a 'wetsuit required' column?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes summitseeker liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    It looks good. I'd change 'large frame' to 'weight restriction'. Then include the weight limit. I'd change 'tallest rappel' to 'longest rappel'. Maybe add a 'wetsuit required' column?
    Weight restriction is subjective. A 250lb 6' 5" is nearly normal, but yet not fat. Just tall. I agree - it needs to be tweaked a bit so people will heed this important column.

Yea, I agree - longest rappel would be more appropriate.

Maybe a "pothole escape equipment required" column? Even though it doesn't look great.

The point of this is so people refer to the beta source for all the specifics. This just provides the longest rap, duration, and rating from numerous beta sources so when you are planning a trip - it makes it easier as well as seeing other canyons that you might not have thought about during your planing stage.

And once I feel happy with it - The next step is to make it fun and easy to take with you. Here's just a few ideas - print them on 3x5 cardstock cards that you can laminate or have a graphics store do the it for ya, and then have them double-sided and attached via a punch-hole or something that will be attached via a steel-ring. Nothing bulky - but yet contains a lot of information in a small amount of area and that is waterproof to boot.

And thanks Bob for the ideas!
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I'd change 'large frame' to 'weight restriction'.
    Weight is about the worst way of measuring skinny canyons that I know of. I have found chest size to be the most accurate. And it's fairly simple as most men know their chest (jacket) size. It gets a bit more problematic with the ladies.

YMMV

FYI: Hog 1, 2 and 3 are all on Climb-Utah. They are all detailed under the Boss Hog route description.

Sulpher Creek, zebra, spooky, peek-a-boo, brimstone, tunnel, Poe are all on Climb-Utah

Crescent Creek and conundrum are the same canyon under different names. This happens with several other canyons you have listed

Maidenwater has three distinct options, south, middle and lower. You can't have them all under one heading.

Heaps has two distinct options, phantom Valley and Gunsight.

That's just a few items I noticed.

Maybe a "pothole escape equipment required" column? Even though it doesn't look great.
    That's what the 4 rating is for. It means advanced skills, the route description should detail what those advanced skills are.

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FYI: Hog 1, 2 and 3 are all on Climb-Utah. They are all detailed under the Boss Hog route description.
    Thanks Shane.

That's part or my fine tuning process. If you see anymore please let me know so I can correct it.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I only had about 5 minute to look at your list. When I have more time I'll give it more attention. I usually know who has what listed, where, and under what names. If you want a complete check list noting all the beta peddlers you might want to include a column for Kelsey.

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Just curious since I'm new to this activity. Why is there no Beta anywhere on-line for the Egypt canyons in Escalante? Kelsey mentions them in his book, but nothing on-line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Sulpher Creek, zebra, spooky, peek-a-boo, brimstone, tunnel, Poe are all on Climb-Utah

Crescent Creek and conundrum are the same canyon under different names. This happens with several other canyons you have listed

Maidenwater has three distinct options, south, middle and lower. You can't have them all under one heading.

Heaps has two distinct options, phantom Valley and Gunsight.

That's just a few items I noticed.

That's what the 4 rating is for. It means advanced skills, the route description should detail what those advanced skills are.
    Thanks for the added info.

That's exactly what this Canyon List is suppose to do - make people go to the sources for beta. So with that said a redundancy of pothole escape might just make it more confusing to everyone
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Just curious since I'm new to this activity. Why is there no Beta anywhere on-line for the Egypt canyons in Escalante? Kelsey mentions them in his book, but nothing on-line.

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/i...Rock/Egypt.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mferl View Post
    What search engine did you use? It sucks. I found plenty of sites with Egypt info by doing a Google search:
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/slo..._3/canyon.html
    http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/egypts.htm
    http://www.summitpost.org/egypt-3-slot/692617

I also know that soon the beta will be available for E1, E1.5, E2, E3, and E4 on Bluugnome: http://bluugnome.com/canyoneer_tripr...lante_uth.aspx

17. Likes dude9478 liked this post
    I would remove the units from your duration and length and put them up top in the column header. Then divide up your rating into three separate columns. That would allow for someone to filter for every attribute in excel. Example - Filter for Zion, then all 3 canyons, then all canyons shorter than 6 hrs, then all canyons with a least a 100' rap that don't require a permit. I feel like this could be a pretty cool webpage too. Use drop down menus to add your filter terms and out pops the canyons with links to the beta. Maybe it even hits Bogley and CC and grabs TR's. Input your address and you get google directions to the trailhead. Sky's the limit! You said you had a lot of time to work on this right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdowling View Post
    I would remove the units from your duration and length and put them up top in the column header. Then divide up your rating into three separate columns. That would allow for someone to filter for every attribute in excel. Example - Filter for Zion, then all 3 canyons, then all canyons shorter than 6 hrs, then all canyons with a least a 100' rap that don't require a permit. I feel like this could be a pretty cool webpage too. Use drop down menus to add your filter terms and out pops the canyons with links to the beta. Maybe it even hits Bogley and CC and grabs TR's. Input your address and you get google directions to the trailhead. Sky's the limit! You said you had a lot of time to work on this right?
    A ha! You must be a mind reader! This is exactly what I was doing . But I wanted to test it here and see what people thought or if I should invest more time into it, etc.

About 4 months ago I ran than this idea past another Bogley member who created Candition.com and he seemed to like it, and to which he had other great improvements and upgrades to tr site as well.

You are exactly right the sky is the limit. I will think it will allow for better plannig . And I for one, enjoy the planning process almost as much as the trip. And so this will dumb it down for noobs so they can see what's out there, and minimize planning errors.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"