Thread: Korean Canyoneering Considerations

Korean Canyoneering Considerations

So my wife and I have recently moved to Jeju Island, South Korea, and I've been looking around and seeing a lot of canyon potential here. In fact, just today we went down to a major tourist attraction and found what looks like a semi-technical canyon running into the ocean right next to it. This needs more investigation. I did, after all, drag pretty much all of my gear over here with me.

Name:  DSCN2047.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  163.4 KB

The question I wonder about is this: Do we need to worry about anything special as far as diseases in the water or things we shouldn't spread into the waterways or anything like that? I figure the water can't be much nastier than some of the Utah canyon water I've been in, but I seen to remember reading about some bacteria or something they're trying to keep out of the waterways in New Zealand and wondered if anyone on here would have any idea about that. I realize it's a long shot. I guess starting this thread may also be a way for me to brag about the fact that my wife and I are probably going to bag a few first descents over here, because I've never heard of any kind of canyoneering going on in Asia, and truthfully, most of the Koreans I've met don't really seem to have the disposition for it. Anyway, if anyone knows anything the advice/help would be appreciated.
    --Cliff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    So my wife and I have recently moved to Jeju Island, South Korea, and I've been looking around and seeing a lot of canyon potential here. In fact, just today we went down to a major tourist attraction and found what looks like a semi-technical canyon running into the ocean right next to it. This needs more investigation. I did, after all, drag pretty much all of my gear over here with me.

Name:  DSCN2047.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  163.4 KB

The question I wonder about is this: Do we need to worry about anything special as far as diseases in the water or things we shouldn't spread into the waterways or anything like that? I figure the water can't be much nastier than some of the Utah canyon water I've been in, but I seen to remember reading about some bacteria or something they're trying to keep out of the waterways in New Zealand and wondered if anyone on here would have any idea about that. I realize it's a long shot. I guess starting this thread may also be a way for me to brag about the fact that my wife and I are probably going to bag a few first descents over here, because I've never heard of any kind of canyoneering going on in Asia, and truthfully, most of the Koreans I've met don't really seem to have the disposition for it. Anyway, if anyone knows anything the advice/help would be appreciated.
    I'm on my phone right now so I will post a longer reply later.

Canyoning is getting popular in Asia, especially in Japan. Some stuff to consider but not enough to avoid it

I'm moving to Vietnam in a month and I will be posting all of my adventures there...

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Do we need to worry about anything special as far as diseases in the water or things we shouldn't spread into the waterways or anything like that? I figure the water can't be much nastier than some of the Utah canyon water I've been in.
    I lived in Korea for two years, and learned that you cannot "drink the water" without boiling it first. However, that would be the same with any Utah pothole water. I spend a little time in some remote locations with water, and had no issues. You should be fine with all of the same things you would be careful about with Utah canyon water. I enjoyed every minute of my time in Korea. An young has shim nika!
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow