Thread: 6/24 First Time through Imlay! out of the kiddie pool and addicted!

6/24 First Time through Imlay! out of the kiddie pool and addicted!

Went through Imlay for the first time on the 24th. it was my first time doing real pothole escapes and was a lot of fun. We tried several escape techniques but mostly bat hooked out since that was A. the easiest and B. a skill we felt like we really had to get down if it was going to be our last resort.

we left at 430 in the morning and got to the grotto at 5. the ranger at the back country desk was nice enough to give us a parking permit so we could get a start before the shuttles began. it was the morning the super moon was still out so we didnt need head lamps and having the entire hike to ourselves was surreal. we even got to see a boulder roll of the cliffs on our way up walters wiggles. we made it to the alcove of the sneak route and donned our wet suits.

I have always been afraid of Imlay from all the stories and warnings I've heard and read. but after doing the canyon I realized that there was nothing to fear, just respect. while if your stupid you can get your self in a sticky situation. the prepared canyoneer usually has nothing to fear. once again usually, them dang canyons like to change on me.

The canyon was amazing and beautiful. the iron deposits ( I think thats what they are) where amazing and added awesome red color to the white sand stone and green moss. Imlay has become my favorite canyon and I hope to return to here soon. hopefully she will be just as kind to me. from car to car it took us 9 hours and 45 min not to bad for a first time

Name:  Imlay 01 (4).jpg
Views: 476
Size:  95.2 KBName:  Imlay 01 (7).jpg
Views: 464
Size:  56.1 KBName:  Imlay 01 (8).jpg
Views: 463
Size:  64.8 KBName:  Imlay 01 (12).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  41.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice thanks for sharing.

:thumbup::thumbup:

That's a great time! Nicely done...especially in low water. Try top down next time for comparison. It gets some criticism but I REALLY like it compared to the thrash of the sneak approach. It's a trade: technical for thrashing.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice report, earwig. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by earwig654 View Post

we left at 430 in the morning and got to the grotto at 5. the ranger at the back country desk was nice enough to give us a parking permit so we could get a start before the shuttles began.
    perhaps a little early in the morning for curmudgeounliness, but...

There is no "nice" about it.

The PURPOSE of the Park is to provide recreational opportunities. The shuttle system gets in the way of a couple of these opportunities, so the Park is OBLIGATED to provide this work around. It is your RIGHT to get in there before the shuttles run if your adventure is better for it.

It's not THEIR Park, it is OURS.

Tom

great video and pics. thanks for sharing.

Nice report, it's definitely on my list of TODO's!