Thread: Google Maps "Street View" of Slot Canyons?

Google Maps "Street View" of Slot Canyons?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/..._amateurs.html

How long do you think it'll be before we can browse slot canyons in Street View on google maps? Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    They probably can't get wet, and they weight around 44lbs and are quite tall.

I could see non-technical slots being done like little while horse and ding and dang or something but not something like Imlay or the Subway. But who knows, maybe thats what they want.

Can you imagine rappelling with a 44lb backpack? That's a lot of weight while being horizontal.

But I suppose it's a matter of time before something like this happens though.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We already have the GoPro view of a large number of slot canyons and it will only improve with time and technology.

And speaking of the GoPro view, here is a large number of Utah slot canyons:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT

...cool stuff, Iceaxe! :thumbup:

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

what cfs was the subway running in the video. i remember reading the trip report back in 2011
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    what cfs was the subway running in the video. i remember reading the trip report back in 2011
    Full story and pictures are here:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway2.htm

Not sure if I know the CFS, maybe Anthony or Gavin will chime in.

FWIW: A little bird told me the story and video might soon be part of a weather channel special.

We didn't have a clue what the CFS was (I was there with Anthony and Gavin). Canyonman, made a guess, but I only vaguely remember what he said (8 or 9 maybe?) but he said that he wasn't a very good judge either. Lots of water is what it amounted to, though.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    How long do you think it'll be before we can browse slot canyons in Street View on google maps? Thoughts?
    I hope it will never be possible, imo it can only be experienced being there.

It may also give people a really wrong idea of what to expect, if conditions change from how they are stored in canyon-view. Or they would have to be there in all conditions, and change the viewable images according the current situation. What will teh future bring? I'm damn sure nothing can beat being there yourself!

maybe next year i will shoot for subway during spring run off. I woun'd mind doing it with a little flow. Not as much as you guys that was nuts maybe half that. It would be fun to do Das boot with a little flow also.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    maybe next year i will shoot for subway during spring runoff.
    It's not as easy to do spring runoff any more... the NPS has decided to save us from ourselves and has stopped issuing permits when the water gets big. I'm not sure how they decide when to close the Subway, but it has been closed at times during spring runoff since this story and video.

Eff me... As if some of these places aren't crowded enough. Just because we have the technology, doesn't mean this is a good idea. It serves no useful purpose. I think it's a dumb idea.