Thread: Marysvale to Fillmore (the almost long route)

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Marysvale to Fillmore (the almost long route)

We started Saturday morning at 0830, riding the 22 trail behind Hoovers, then taking the 74/Deer Creek trail and proceeding North along the Max Reid. We stopped at the Fremont Indian Museum briefly, then proceeded up the 01/Sam Stowe trail; it was HOT and dusty.

From that point, we hit the 11 trail briefly, then back on the 01, then finally the 03 down the mountain and into Fillmore. We fueled up at the Maverick, then rode across the street for cold milk shakes.

Up top, the temp was maybe 85-90F, while in the valley below it was easily 100-105 (or so).

From there, instead of heading back up the mountain, we thought we'd take the fast route and sped through Meadow and Kanosh, passing Adelaide campground, then catching the 06 to 15 trail toward I-70.

At the creek crossing under I-70, we stopped for a break. My wife seemed tired and was complaining about cramping. I asked her to come off the ATV where she walked 10 feet and promptly collapsed. She went unconscious for a good few minutes before I could get up and to lay her in the creek. It was clear she was not accustomed to the helmet, heat and distance we had covered. Heat exhaustion/heat stroke has kicked in. I had her lay flat in the creek a good 5-10 minutes until she was capable of speech, then I proceeded to force her to drink water.

From that point, we rode the 15 to the 13, for a quick stop at the Castle Rock Campground, then rode the 79 back to the 01/Max Reid toward Hoovers where we all enjoyed the air condition, cool drinks and yet another exceptional dinner.

160 miles that day.

A few photos:

And our spot tracks:

2x rattle snakes killed and 1x groundhog -- all of them dinking around on the trail while I came blazing by. Beheaded the snakes, buried the heads, tossed the bodies into the brush (but thought about taking them back to camp for snacks).. Groundhog really upset the wife; saw it go through its death dance behind my wheeler. Picked it up by the tail, wife asked me if I could give it mouth to mouth (WTF!?!?), and tossed it also into the brush.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great report! My brother and I are planning a multi-day, camp on the side, type trip this fall. I've very familiar with the southern end of the paiute but I've never been north of Marysvale on the west side and Kooshorem on the East side. So this trip we are planning on going from Panguitch to Fremont to Kooshorem to antimony to Panguitch. Glad to see you had fun and I would have been freaking out if someone with me was so dehydrated that they passed out.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I did the Panguitch to Marysvale ride last year. Total loop was about 161 miles. I have GPS tracks and photos if you're interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm sure you're more familiar with the system than I am. I'll look at the map tonight and post up the trails I'm hoping to take. Hopefully you can comment and/or add any advice. Your Antimony trail advice from a few years ago was solid gold! I've also been trying to find out if there is a list of which trail numbers are which allowed width. My two trail maps don't show that info.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Nevermind. I essentially just found the info here; http://www.atvutah.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...num=1338383700
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I have GPS tracks for the route to Koosharem as well as that to Panguitch.

http://utahbruteforce.com/mt/mt-sear...ogs=4&limit=20

http://utahbruteforce.com/mt/mt-sear...ogs=4&limit=20

Wow you read my mind. Thanks!
    I've been pouring over maps trying to decipher a good route between panguitch and circleville that wasn't the Fremont 02. I'm looking at Circleville to birch canyon, up out of birch across the range much like you did. I've made a couple of exploratory trips before taking off from the 68 for a ways and doing the same from panguitch reservoir north to the 20 freeway.

What do you think about the trails north of Kooshorem and marysvale? I'm very familiar and ridden almost everything between beaver, marysvale, koosharem, antimony and circleville BUT I have never been north of marysvale or kooshorem. So this trip we are looking at exploring some of those area? We are staging out of panguitch for sure. So I'm stuck trying to figure out the best route between Kooshorem and Fremont State Park. There are 3 options I'm looking at and maybe you can weigh in on them;
    1 - Kooshorem-01-68-66-04-annabella-04-01-fremont. Might add too much mileage and doesn't look like there is that much bang for the buck??
    2 - Kooshorem-01-78-65-24-22-sevier-76-01. Too much flat land travel? Particularly the 24 and 22 sections??
    3 - Or the out and back option. Kooshorem-01-various trails into Marysvale-02-01 or 76 to Fremont and then double back on 01?? I hear the 01 between marysvale and fremont is really nice. So since it's only 10 miles or so an in and back might make sense? How good is the 01 and 76 trails between the 02 and fremont?

Basically we are covering a lot of mileage in 3-4 days, camping off the trail wherever we want. The basic plan is to head out of Panguitch to kooshorem then kooshorem to fremont then fremont to circleville and back to panguitch. It looks like if we head north of kooshorem it's a lot of flat land stuff till we manage to circle back to the 01 on the other side of the I-70. Is the 01 north of Fremont worth visiting and tying into the loop?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to be asking the same stuff over on ATVUTAH as well.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Way too much flat/hot travel in your current thinking from Koosharem. If it were me, I'd run across Monroe mountain, drop into Marysvale, stop at Hoovers for lunch, run the Max Reid North to Fremont State Park (Indian Museum), then if you wanted, you could cross I-70 at Joseph on the 10/11 trail, or catch the 01/Sam Stowe just East of the Museum, then ride the 10/11 back into Salina or Richfield, then back to Koosharem.

More specifically, my recommend route to FISP from Koosharem would be:

01 out of Koosharem, up the mountain
    04 to 44 to Monroe Meadows
    89 to the 01 via Manning Meadows
    01 to 02 passed Marysvale (or into Marysvale for food/fuel)
    02 to 22 to 74/Deer Creek
    74 North to Max Reid
    Follow Max Reid all the way to I70/FISP

From there, you could catch the 01/Sam Stowe North, then
    11 to 04 into Richfield, then 04 into Annabella and head back toward Koosharem (if a loop)

If you've never run the 74 or Max Reid West and North of Marysvale, then you've really missed out on some of the best trails on the Paiute. There are others that are excellent too, North of I-70 that are great as well..hence my recent Marysvale to Fillmore loop.

Thanks! What's the trail number for the Max Reid trail? Is that the 76? or is that what the 01 is called going north from the 02 junction? So you'd say to definitely find a way to incorporate the 74 and the 76?

Sounds like rather then mess around with trying to loop via Annabella we'll just come back to the 01/02 junction on the manning meadow side. I also understand that there is another trail from manning meadows down to marysvale around barneys lake but it doesn't show on my map. We should pick a forum to limit the discussion too!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

The Max Reid is technically the 01 North to FISP.. Other than the 606 at the gate, no other trail continues north to I70/FISP in that area.

Barney Lake originates just outside Hoovers and the 22 trail.. you can access from the top at Monroe Mountain, or from the bottom just off the 22 trail; follow the 22 North/East and its the 2nd major turn on your left.. again, no map shows this, but if you have a Garmin GPS, I have a track..

That is an awesome trail system. We have an annual 3 day ride that we do every year and it's a blast. Last year we started at Circleville and rode over the Boulder Mtns and camped at Trail Lake. We took no food and just fished for dinner. The next morning we rode over to Bryce Canyon and then down to Escalante. We always hit the gas station on the East of town for some pizza. We then rode back up onto the Boulders and camped at McGath Lake. The next morning rode back to Circleville. We have done all kinds of different routes and destinations, but the 3 day trips are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    The Max Reid is technically the 01 North to FISP.. Other than the 606 at the gate, no other trail continues north to I70/FISP in that area.

Barney Lake originates just outside Hoovers and the 22 trail.. you can access from the top at Monroe Mountain, or from the bottom just off the 22 trail; follow the 22 North/East and its the 2nd major turn on your left.. again, no map shows this, but if you have a Garmin GPS, I have a track..
    That's pretty much what I figured. Any track you have for that trail from Barney lake or the monroe mtn area would be great!

Since I've always been on dirt bikes when doing the Paiute I'm a little unsure what to plan for as far as mileage is concerned. Typically we do 100-120 miles a day on the Paiute on our dirt bikes and usually are back at camp well before 5pm. Since the 4wheelers will be slower I'm not sure that 100+ mile days are feasible? Or how realistic it is to plan for three 100+ mile days in a row.

Also how was you route between the Beaver 68 and Panguitch? Was it worth the trip into that area or do you think we should just stick to the Fremont trail? I love the Birch Canyon area and we typically stay at that campground at the top when we come on the dirt bikes. So I know that area but I'm not sure how worthwhile the stuff is between Panguitch and the 20 freeway and then onto the 68 trail out of beaver?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Here's my track for Barney Lake (from Marysvale, so ignore the line coming in from Circleville):

http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce...he-trails.html

As for the Fremont trail, once you get into the trees past Horse Valley (or whaever its called), its a pretty decent ride. Be sure to hit Casto Canyon en route to Panguitch. Alternately, the route up and over the mountain (nearer Beaver) is a good ride too.

As for fuel, most ATV's get 80 miles before refueling, but there are plenty of gas stations in the area (Joseph, Richfield, Marysvale, Circleville), etc. I always carry a 4gal RotoPax flat pack, just to be sure though.

For more GPS tracks, photos, etc -- just hit my blog/website at http://utahbruteforce.com

Perfect.Though from your blog when I get the Barney track it comes in all wacko. But I think I can figure it out from your description. Looks like we'll end up carrying gas just to be safe, or else I'll get stuck making a trip into Beaver. I think for now we're going to do the following;
    Day 1 - Panguitch-fremont 02-Circleville-01-89-87-Kooshorem for gas- back up to Monroe for the night
    Day 2 - Monroe to Barney - marysvale for gas-hoovers-74-01-76-01 to the 27/01 junction. If we have enough gas and time I think we'll make the 88-01-26 loop-then back on the 01 to somewhere above circleville for night 2.
    Day 3 - Down the 01 to Circleville-Fremont 02 to Panguitch.

Might end up being too much mileage here or there but it can certainly be adjusted if necessary. The main goal is to check out the trails north of the 01 near Monroe mountain and to check out the Max Reid trail.

I think we'll stick with the Fremont 02 trail for going back to panguitch rather than check out the stuff west of the 89 even though I've done the Fremont trail 2-3 times already I know it's a fast trail and very scenic.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

So, don't get me wrong. Riding the West side toward Panguitch (or from) is a good ride too, but the terrain is comparable, until you hit elevation above Circleville. Here's a blog entry from last year:

http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce...ck-a-loop.html