Thread: June 29, 2013 Sierras: A Carson-Iceberg Wilderness Traverse

June 29, 2013 Sierras: A Carson-Iceberg Wilderness Traverse

This place is an easy peakbaggers paradise. With temperatures forecast at 105 degrees F in Reno (a "killer heatwave" as named by the local weather woman") I needed to find relief. First, I needed an approach in cool shady forest. Next, I needed to stay above 8000 or 9000 feet for a modicum on coolness. More importantly, I wanted to explore, get up on a summit or two, and do it all within 13 miles and 4000 vertical feet. Finally, I wanted to keep the drive at 2 hours or so from Reno (Yosemite and the High Sierra were out).
    This idea was perfect. The Carson-Iceberg Wilderness is 115,000 acres of lightly travelled high country that resembles a lush Pasayten or Teanaway country. Trails lace most every valley, and the open forest, abundant meadowlands, and gentle high ridges, make foot travel exceedingly easy. Worth a visit for sure!
    I was able to find a trailhead with no one there, take a trail for 1.5 miles to a branch trail, run a ridge, and return via the first trail in a big triangle, of sorts. I saw no one all day, and this is California!

The Trailhead was called Pacific Valley, at a campground, off of the Ebbetts Pass CA Hwy 4.

It went like this:

1.5 miles up Pacific Creek Trail.
    1.5 miles up Milk Ranch Meadow Trail in Marshall Canyon.
    Loop a high ridge traverse for 5 miles back around to the head of Pacific Valley.

Enroute, scramble these:
    Lookout Peak 9584'
    Peep Sight Peak 9716'
    Henry Peak 9334'
    Bull Run Peak 9495'

Return 4 miles down the length of Pacific Creek Trail from the summit of Bull Run Pk. Prominence geeks will note that all these have 400+P and Peep Sight is a CA 1000+P.

Here it is:
    From the TH I followed an old roadbed to the Milk Ranch Meadow Trail junction. I turned here. After ascending the trail I left it and headed crosscountry to the valley head at a plateau called Willow Flat through majestic open forest of big pines and firs. From the flats I walked up Lookout Peak.

Then I returned to Willow Flat. I passed through the meadows to a nice short class 2 scramble of Peep Sight Peak on 75 feet of solid volcanic rock on the summit's east ridge. Fine views of the entire Wilderness ensued.

Descending Peep Sight, I meandered through parkland to the saddle between Peep Sight and Henry Peak, where the Milk Ranch Meadow Trail passes through.

I then connected enjoyable meadows, a tarn, and a nice easy scramble up to Henry Peak. More nice views of the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness and southward to the High Sierra of the Emigrant Wilderness and the northern boundary of Yosemite.

Descending to another saddle where the Pacific valley trail passes through, I started the final ascent of the day up Bull Run Peak. This saddle and trail would be my exit back to the trailhead, later. Bull Run is easy class 2 scree but I opted for more enjoyable solid volcanic rock on the NE ridge proper, staying on class 3/4 rock on the buttress that I would not feel comfortable descending. Holds were all there and it was only 100 feet of steep climbing. I knew I had the standard route on gentle scree to descend back to the saddle.

Finally, tired and hot, I took the maintained trail back to the trailhead and celebrated another great mountain day with ice cream in the neat little mountain town of Markleeville CA, elev 5500ft, Population 200. If I had someone to share it with I probably would have eaten in one of the two tourist restaurants with surprisingly elaborate menus!

2. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement