Thread: Spanish Fork Peak

Spanish Fork Peak

My fiance, Dustinh, and I hiked up Spanish Fork Peak about 2 weeks ago. It was a beautiful hike, but a little over-grown in places. Also, there were A LOT of bugs swarming and seeming to follow you the whole way up!!! Too much snow to actually make it to the top, which was only about 500 feet further. Needless to say, we were sooo upset we couldn't peak so much so that we tried scaling the rock slides but with a dog we just didn't want to take the chance.

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 253
Size:  26.8 KB

2. Likes accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Weird that you weren't able to summit. In 21 June 2008 I summited the peak on the and there was WAY more snow than there is right now up there. I even took a sled with me to ride into the little lake there. We also rode the sled down the glacier from the top.

My hike last week to Maple Canyon Lake was, interestingly enough, a bit different than yours. We didn't have any problems with bugs. And it was difficult to see how any snow would prevent people from summiting. Maybe a week is all it took to clear the snow.

My TR can be found Here
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Weird that you weren't able to summit. In 21 June 2008 I summited the peak on the and there was WAY more snow than there is right now up there. I even took a sled with me to ride into the little lake there. We also rode the sled down the glacier from the top.

My hike last week to Maple Canyon Lake was, interestingly enough, a bit different than yours. We didn't have any problems with bugs. And it was difficult to see how any snow would prevent people from summiting. Maybe a week is all it took to clear the snow.

My TR can be found Here
    Kuya, Nice report. What a difference a couple weeks make. Your picture at the lake looking toward the summit was all snow when we were there. Though we could of pushed through it, our dog was done, he was just wanting to lay on the trail.

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinh View Post
    Kuya, Nice report. What a difference a couple weeks make. Your picture at the lake looking toward the summit was all snow when we were there. Though we could of pushed through it, our dog was done, he was just wanting to lay on the trail.
    That sounds more like what I was expecting last weekend. More snow! Crazy that it melted so fast. Still, it is so beautiful up in that little bowl below the peek. It is my favorite part of the hike. I enjoy the summit, but I really enjoy the meadows below it :D
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    That sounds more like what I was expecting last weekend. More snow! Crazy that it melted so fast. Still, it is so beautiful up in that little bowl below the peek. It is my favorite part of the hike. I enjoy the summit, but I really enjoy the meadows below it :D
    Yeah, it's a great little meadow. we'll be back for the top soon.

Sorry you didn't get to summit @TXtrailhunter, definitely a wonderful view from the top. Funny you should mention your dog running out of steam...the first time I summited that peak, I brought along my pointer/lab mix who was a running fool and could run along side a vehicle for miles on a mountain road. I'll bet he covered 15 miles by the time we got to the top with all the "hunting" he did on the ascent. That was the first time I'd ever seen him pooped and needless to say, he stayed right in my tracks on the way down.

Glad to hear there are still some salamanders in the lake @Kuya with as low as it is.

Well @Dustinh and I will definitely have to head up there soon then and make that summit! =)

11. Likes Dustinh liked this post