Thread: June 23rd-Leprechaun Canyon (east fork)

June 23rd-Leprechaun Canyon (east fork)

I don't usually post trip reports but I decided to start :) I will keep it short and sweet

My best friend and I went and did the east fork of Leprechaun Canyon on sunday and had a pretty good time.

The first rappel was slightly awkward, but all of the others weren't bad at all. We replaced one of the cairin anchors was in HORRIBLE shape but the others were fine. I'm really surprised it wasn't replaced earlier. The canyon was super tight and did a great job eating up our gear but we had a lot of fun. When it got too tight or we were annoyed of being that squished we started chimneying.

The best part of it was the subway section at the end, where it met up with the main fork. After that, we walked right out of it into the wash and right back out to the street.

Overall we had a great time, but both of us have preferred other canyons we have done in the past. We are both grateful we tried it out :)

Name:  DSCN0695.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  62.7 KBName:  DSCN0697.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  62.3 KBName:  DSCN0699.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  128.3 KBName:  DSCN0705.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  95.2 KBName:  DSCN0706.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  99.2 KBName:  DSCN0708.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  71.7 KBName:  DSCN0709.jpg
Size:  49.0 KBName:  DSCN0710.jpg
Size:  61.8 KBName:  DSCN0714.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  94.2 KBName:  DSCN0721.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  101.0 KBName:  DSCN0731.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  70.1 KBName:  DSCN0735.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  88.8 KBName:  DSCN0737.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  53.8 KBName:  DSCN0743.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  44.5 KB

2. Likes DiscGo, Scott P liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the TR. Excellent pictures! Looks like a beautiful day.

Blog Entries
    Nice pics! Thanks for sharing Lindsay.

Just curious, what canyons do you prefer?

The north wash will definitely tear you up. Most of em are quite physical canyons.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Nice shots! Great self portrait, stopping in mid rappel. Did that last weekend m'self!

Thanks!

We knew the north wash would tear up our gear and we were planning on making harnesses out of webbing but forgot until we got down. It was worth it though :)

We are both pretty new to canyoneering but as of right now I would have to say my favorite canyon that I have done is Baptist Draw, and my friend said his was Pine Creek.

Its pretty fun stuff :)

Great report! Yes, the East fork of Leprechaun is OK. Long approach in the hot sun, but an early start helps. I also love the final drop into the main fork. Best part.

I see you are using a Totem, very cool. Great device to use.

In your fourth pic, figure eight mode, curious on how you locked off to take the picture. Did you open the carabiner on rappel and pass the rope back through?

Thanks for the TR and pics.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I see you are using a Totem, very cool. Great device to use.

In your fourth pic, figure eight mode, curious on how you locked off to take the picture. Did you open the carabiner on rappel and pass the rope back through?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Possibly could have been vertaco mode (started that way) then thrown over? Interesting it locked off OK (or someone is holding a bottom belay).

Yeah, I was originally in vertaco mode and just threw it over. I usually pull it through my carabiner and throw it up and over but because I'm so light just adding extra friction locks me off and is enough. I could jump up and down like that and not move an inch.

The Totem is so easy to lock off with ....
    There is a way to lock off without being in vertaco mode: you wrap the rope over the top in standard mode (aka adding friction) and pull the brake strand through the biner and wrap it over the top once more and it's an easy soling lock-off.

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayJaded View Post
    We are both pretty new to canyoneering but as of right now I would have to say my favorite canyon that I have done is Baptist Draw, and my friend said his was Pine Creek.
    Great report!

Pine Creek and Baptist are great canyons... but East Lep was like a gateway drug for us. It spurred us on to bigger and badder canyons, and really got us hooked on the sport. It has a much different feel than most canyons that have bolts, especially when you have it all to yourself (like you two, it appears).

Hope you're hooked as well!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I'm super hooked :) Already planning our next canyon.

Ooohh myyyyy. Great TR!
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayJaded View Post
    I'm super hooked :) Already planning our next canyon.
    Yeah...maybe you should consider planning you next trip report as well, considering all the attention you're getting around here
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.