Thread: New to this, and looking for a bike for myself now!

New to this, and looking for a bike for myself now!

Just bought a XR 80 for my 11 year old to learn how to ride. Now I need a nice little trail bike for AF canyon and some trails up by Scofield on some property we camp on.

I am excited to take a first ride with my boy, and figure I have a alot to learn! I have done plenty of street riding, but I have never owned a dirt bike.

I am 1/2 tempted to get a street legal bike just so I could run into town from camp up in Scofield, its only 3 miles or so, but wonder if the street legal takes away some of the fun.

Anyways, I have always lurked on this forum and am thrilled to be able to once I get myself a bike, post some reports!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome. Are you looking for bike advice or do you have some models in mind?

Well I am on a budget, so I was just looking for a good deal on a well taken care of bike. Seems like KTM's are the bomb, but a little pricey, and probably not needed if I am riding with my kids.

So maybe just another XR.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=25737...rch=&ad_cid=11

But that seems like a pretty nice ride.

If your looking for a smokin deal on the same boots acca rides PM me I'll get them to you for less than half with only 7 months on them or? 35 rides.

Have some chest protectors and another pair of size ten for dirt cheap if it will help you break into this thing we call bad ass.
    Hell I'll give you the old thors for free if it helps they are just missing to clips is all. Other than that they are just well? ATV boots and not very waterproof but free.

Used them myself for safety reasons just to get started cause shit costs a ton to get started.

For example: My last boots are about the same as an XR80.plus or minus notta.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Well I am on a budget, so I was just looking for a good deal on a well taken care of bike. Seems like KTM's are the bomb, but a little pricey, and probably not needed if I am riding with my kids.

So maybe just another XR.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=25737...rch=&ad_cid=11

But that seems like a pretty nice ride.
    Hmmm yeah not bad.

These are great bikes. A little heavier, depending on what you want to do with it. I had a KTM 620 and rode it everywhere.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=25373...sable_header=1

Street Legal DRZ 400 now sits next to the XR 80.

Should be fun, passed inspection yesterday and will have legal plates tomorrow!

I lucked out and found it on KSL and the guy held it for me while I bailed from work early to go get a toy! Got it from a great guy who was very thorough and explained everything and even ran me over to Lambert park to see how it rode!!!!! To say I am excited is an understatement! While I ran to the bank for another $50.00 he got another call on it and the guy offered $300.00 more but this guy was great and just told him it was sold. He hung up and wanted to know if I wanted to make $300.00 and he would give me the guys number.

Tomorrow we head to Rocky Mtn ATV to spend a small fortune on the gear seeings how that was the instruction given here!!!

That's a great all around bike! Bulletproof and actually very good off-road. My brother owns one and keeps up with my Husaberg 570. Pisses me off! Glad to see you pulled the trigger. Now it's time to get in on some of the rides :-)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

In some related good news, the previous owner did the following upgrades from what I can see.

Got rid of the stock 2x4 terrible stock seat.
    Raised the bars for a guy 6' 4" to ride comfy
    Upgraded suspension front and back for a 240 # guy
    Chain tensioner thingy on the crank case. Not sure exactly what this is, but its not the drive chain, but something in the engine that keeps some chain from failing.
    Replaced stock headlight with a better one.
    Skid guard
    Aluminum air fins on radiator
    Beefed up sides of motor with protection to prevent damage in a tip over/wreck.
    Re geared it for AF Canyon riding. So its got nice low end power for climbing up and down hills.
    Brush gaurds with replacable shields.

I think thats it.

So basically all the upgrades that I read about online as being needed to make the bike. But in looking at things, I think its ready to ride now, vs needing some upgrades.

THem DRZ 400 are bad boys and will grunt up just about anything.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Yep, the only real problem that I can find that is not already fixed on this bike is that the range is pretty limited and you can end up being "That guy" who runs out of gas on a long ride.

I've got several friends running from 3.2 to 5.? on this bike.

Nice bike, congrats. What year and any pictures?

Took the bikes up to some property by Scofield over the long weekend and had a BLAST!

The boy dumped it once in the exact spot I knew he would.

We have access to a 1000 or so acres that is riddled with dirt roads and a few trails and there are a few very deep sandy spots that are pretty tough to ride through. As I went through it I sped ahead and then stopped to turn around and watch what happened. Sure nuff, the front wheel turned but just plowed in and the back end slid out with power and down he went. This was just 20 minutes into the teaching session and so he was still bannished to 1st gear so I felt good that I was ok to let him learn what sand does at a 5 mph. He dumped it and rolled over himself once and then jumped up with both hands in the air which was our pre planned signal for "I'm OK"

He got back on and we went through the sand a few more times till he figured out what to do when it gets sloppy and he didnt dump it again the rest of the trip.

The spill was fast enough that he was very thankful to have all his gear on. He fought me on all his gear at first because his friends on 4 wheelers just ride with a helmet & I told him he could ride w/o his gear when he is 21 and out of the house!!!!!

He sees the value in the gear now!

Anyways, we ran through a tank of gas over the weekend so we did ALOT of riding and had a blast. He picked up shifting faster than I expected and lucky for me, still feels 3rd is a little fast! I am ok with that.

We got up into some high country with lots of aspens and great views and he just loved it!

I have a little camera I will strap to his helmet for some video next time we ride.

Good times, and no injuries!

Oh, and my bike, yeah....... its ok....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very cool! The bike looks great! Sounds like your boy is picking things up fast. Awesome. My boys are progressing as well.

So you ready to sell it yet??????

I Started with an xr 650r and wish the heck I went that direction first.
    If I did I could have saved myself a grundal of funds.

That bumble bee is about the best bike ever made in it's class as far as I'm concerned.

Sell it????? Mmmmmmmm NO!!!!!! But give me 20 years & I might.

I think the heavens smiled upon me that I ended up with such a great bike. Its perfect for me. Plenty of power to go anywhere I want and seemed very easy to ride. I was a little worried about getting too much bike, but its just fine for me and what I will be riding.

Now to find a truck to haul everything in and pull our trailer.

Once again, it will be a while till the cash builds up so I can spend!

I've never owned one but had a chance to ride one and I love them. Good or better grunt with weight that works just fine but? It did feel like it needed some help in the deep sand whoops. All this can be fixed and it is a great bike. JUst saying.