Thread: Southern Utah Backpacking Location in Mid July that is cool?

Southern Utah Backpacking Location in Mid July that is cool?

Hey everyone, I am looking for a backpacking location in mid July that is cool (temp and figuratively...). I have spent lots of time in the high and low country of Zion this time of year and it is a bit hotter than I like.

Any ideas? I had permits for Yosemite area but my partner can't head out for when we got those, so we are going for a different week closer to home.

Any ideas? I was interested in the Paria River, but that seems like it will be kind of hot.

Anything up by Cedar Breaks, or Duck Creek?

And to not be to picky I would really like something that is scenic for good photo potential...

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cedar Breaks to Cedar Canyon via Ashdown Gorge. July should be good, but watch the flash flood danger.

If you want mountains, the Tushar Range or Fish Lake Hightop may fit the bill. Same with the Summit Trail in the Pine Valley Mountains.

Also consider the Zion Narrows if you haven't been through already. July is actually good, but again watch the flash flood danger.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Escalante...particularly Death Hollow, Calf Creek and Boulder Creek. Great backpacks and with lots of water. I've sometimes had time to book out there in July or August and anything lower than 5000' I won't even consider, but the places I just mentioned are outstanding and the temps are tolerable...as long as you don't hit it during an extra hot heat wave. If you're lucky, the temps down the Hole in the Rock road will be below the mid nineties, if that's the case, you can do some stuff down there, too.

When it's 98 or higher, it's just no fun.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I was thinking the Tushars, but I am not in the know on what would make a good loop.
    http://www.summitpost.org/tushar-mountains/214539

Henry Mountains?
    http://www.summitpost.org/henry-mountains/592740
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ains-Revisited