Thread: Kolob Through Narrows

Kolob Through Narrows

Has anyone done Kolob recently? I was unable to find any trip reports or conditions, maybe I just didn't look hard enough? Just curious from all of you that have done kolob more then once when is the best time to do kolob and out the narrows in one day. My thinking is summer to give us the best chance of making out in the light any info on this would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've done Kolob and out the Narrows, it's a great route and I suggest everyone do it at least once. I have never done it in a day, we always do it as a two day super lightweight backpack. It would be a very long single day route.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

You'd have to be killer fast to do this route in a day. All anchors were set up two weeks ago. One 35 foot rap (somewhere around rap 8) needed some slings replaced soon. The first big rappel over 100 feet webbing on the anchors were also getting old. Those wouldn't be too fun to replace given the position. MIA exit is getting worse each passing year.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    You'd have to be killer fast to do this route in a day. All anchors were set up two weeks ago. One 35 foot rap (somewhere around rap 8) needed some slings replaced soon. The first big rappel over 100 feet webbing on the anchors were also getting old. Those wouldn't be too fun to replace given the position. MIA exit is getting worse each passing year.
    Has anyone done this in one day or is this more of a pipe dream?

I know of Boundry-out Kolob Creek being done in a day, small group that knew how to move. I've wanted to try it some time, would not try the full Kolob in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    Has anyone done Kolob recently? I was unable to find any trip reports or conditions, maybe I just didn't look hard enough? Just curious from all of you that have done kolob more then once when is the best time to do kolob and out the narrows in one day. My thinking is summer to give us the best chance of making out in the light any info on this would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
    If doing the whole shebang, The hottest time of the year would be good as the narrows will stay cool but the water temp and night time temps are at their highest, thus minimizing the need for ultra thick wetsuits in Kolob and excessive warm clothing. To be on a good pace, you need to be able to do Kolob to the bottom of the MIA in under 5 hours. Doable, but most definitely moving quickly.

We did Boundary out the Narrows in August 2011. I would post the thread but that seems to be beyond my technical abilities.
    We took a shuttle to the West Rim Trailhead and started hiking at 7:45 AM. We were not sightseeing. I think we finished the technical portion of Boundary at about 11:30, took a break for lunch and arrived at the MIA at 2PM. From the MIA to the junction of Kolob Creek with the Narrows, took 3 hours, where we had a moving break for our second lunch at 5 PM. We arrived for the shuttle at 9:15. Kolob Cheek to the Narrows is essentially all of the best of the Narrows. I think if you camped out at the West Rim and got started to make use of the earliest morning light, that might add 3 more hours of daylight and perhaps another hour of hiking at night you probably can get it done and still get a shuttle. Of course, you better have a plan for dinner because nothing will be open in Springdale when you get there. What was interesting is that hiking the lower narrows with a head light was a snap. The day hikers spray the rocks with dirt that dries. This is white when dried and the user trail is dark. A headlight illuminates the dry dirt and outlines the user trail so it is easy to cruise this portion of the Narrows. The headlight is also very efficient for seeing the bottom of the riverbed. Fun times. Remember to stay hydrated.

Ken

I have thought about boundry down Kolob before but i would think kolob down would be more of a 2 day event. Good luck if you go be sure to post up.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Why would anyone even want to do it in a day? If you got a permit for Kolob, it should be very easy to get a permit to camp in the Kolob section of the park even if all the Narrows spaces were taken. You could also camp outside the park.

Anyway, keep in mind that hiking the Narrows in the dark is not easy, regardless of anyone's experience level.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.