Thread: Harness replacement

Harness replacement

I'm curious what people consider a point when a harness needs to be replaced. I can't find any obvious problems with mine. I have used my black diamond couloir (very small, 8 oz) for two years including a number of skinny canyons. It "looks" ok to me, but the more I use such a small harness, the more I become nervous about it's potential failure. It doesn't have any obvious fraying other than the rear straps that help keep it in place are about to tear off (no effect to function of the harness from a safety perspective). I'd like to hear what people have to say.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I'm curious what people consider a point when a harness needs to be replaced. I can't find any obvious problems with mine. I have used my black diamond couloir (very small, 8 oz) for two years including a number of skinny canyons. It "looks" ok to me, but the more I use such a small harness, the more I become nervous about it's potential failure. It doesn't have any obvious fraying other than the rear straps that help keep it in place are about to tear off (no effect to function of the harness from a safety perspective). I'd like to hear what people have to say.
    Discounting strong acids, strong bases and chlorine bleach, there is nothing you cannot know about your harness by a careful inspection.

In other words, if it LOOKS good, it IS good.

My harnesses fail at one of three places:

A. Leg loops get torn up by sliding on rough rock;
    B. Waistbelt strap (and/or leg loop straps) get chewed up or torn at the buckle;
    C. Belay Loop or tie-in point gets chewed up.

Perfect, thanks Tom!

i have used the black diamond Vario speed harness for the last 4 years but the leg loops are starting to frey just a little and the Vario provides no padding. It is a great harness and i will continue using it in canyons with short drops. But i just got a Petzl Aspire From Tom but it was too big so he is sending me a smaller one.

The aspire looks like a great harness with a little more padding than my Vario. i like them both becuase they have large horizontal clip in points VS most climbing harnesses that have virtical loops.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/3...eyword=harness&

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...94&id=10914138
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Thanks for asking and for the responses. I've been wondering the same thing recently too.

Those wimpy rear straps don't last long. I've sort of gotten used to going without them. Gorilla taping those little straps, especially where they attach to the waist/legs, helps them last a little longer.

I replace my harness when the pads from the leg loops start falling out:

Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  61.4 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

8. Likes mcweyen liked this post