Thread: Exploratory Project in New Mexico - June 28/29

Exploratory Project in New Mexico - June 28/29

Looking for a partner or two to join us next weekend on an exploratory mission to New Mexico. Could be a strong day, not sure what to expect but treating it as a first descent. Plan is to go down Friday afternoon, camp, and then do the canyon Saturday as a long day trip. Havent found any info, sounds like it's completely undocumented and unknown. Other canyons in the area are holding and should be a good adventure at least. PM me for info, or email me at yetigonecrazy (at) Gmail dotcom if interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Figured I would add a picture, this is only a short length of the canyon, near it's mouth. It extends a long ways upstream from this.

Name:  NProject1.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  74.0 KB

4. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    bump, still looking for a couple partners.

here's the whole canyon, i boxed where the first photo is. length is about 2 mi....7200' to 6660', about 580' elev loss...330 fpm, do canyoneers use that much? I use it a lot in kayaking.

Name:  WholeCanyon.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  141.6 KB

Todilto Limestone on top of a thick slab of Entrada that behaves like Navajo. In the pines. High elevation.....

Looks like a fun canyon. Where in New Mexico? That'd be a long drive for most Utah folk.

It's in northern New Mexico, on the west side of the mountains. I know it's a bit of a drive, but it's also likely this will be a first descent, and I didn't know whether that would encourage people to drive that far.

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    It's in northern New Mexico, on the west side of the mountains. I know it's a bit of a drive, but it's also likely this will be a first descent, and I didn't know whether that would encourage people to drive that far.
    THAT looks like a GREAT canyon! It looks very Zion-esque. I'd be shocked if it hasn't been done. But if it hasn't... well, be sure to give her a good name.

What does the approach/exit look like? Wouldn't it be a little on the hot side in June? Questa, NM is supposed to get up to 89 this week, and it's about 7000 ft.

Also, fpm isn't really used in canyoneering, because a 300 foot vertical loss can happen in 40 feet of horizontal travel.

What ropes are you thinking of bringing? Bolt kit?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I'd be surprised if it has been done. It's in the middle of nowhere, and a couple of months of hard research has turned up exactly dick on either the canyon OR the general area. But, the geology looks very promising; there is a layer of limestone (the Todilto Frmtn) that is conducive to narrows on top of the Entrada, which here behaves much like Navajo, or Wingate. There are other genuine slots in the area in the same layers.

The exit and approach are all in the trees, off the trail. But it's New Mexico forest, so it shouldn't be too thick. Enough to provide some shade but not be a hinderance to movement. I suspect it will be high 80's on the approach/exit, but much cooler in the canyon. This also has a bit different weather than Questa....if it's saying 89 in Questa I'm betting it will be 80-85 up here.

I'm taking every piece of gear we have, hoping for the best. That's why I was hoping to find a partner from Bogley who might bring some advanced canyoneering skills and gear to the table.....but as it is I am not waiting two+ years for another attempt at this canyon. I'd rather shoot for an amazing time and prepare for a debacle rather than opt out and be cautious. And I trust the team that I have already lined up.....

10. Likes mcweyen, Slot Machine liked this post
    Looking at Bing Maps, it appears that there is a road that leads up to the end of the canyon. This is good. Hike up as far a you want in the cool of the morning, no death march at the end of the day. Conveniently, you will be able to see the entire adventure (from the rim) before you commit.

Zooming way in, the canyon does not have any scary features; no big potholes (probably), no huge drops. Two 200 foot ropes would probably work great, and might be big-time overkill. The chances of a debacle look slim.

Looks fun, hope you share some photos when you get back.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Looking at Bing Maps, it appears that there is a road that leads up to the end of the canyon. This is good. Hike up as far a you want in the cool of the morning, no death march at the end of the day. Conveniently, you will be able to see the entire adventure (from the rim) before you commit.

Zooming way in, the canyon does not have any scary features; no big potholes (probably), no huge drops. Two 200 foot ropes would probably work great, and might be big-time overkill. The chances of a debacle look slim.

Looks fun, hope you share some photos when you get back.
    That road is private. And it doesn't go to the bottom, only to a cabin nearby.....

I've been eyeballing those canyons the last couple of years. Not sure if I can make the 28th, are you heading in from Gallina?

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    That road is private. And it doesn't go to the bottom, only to a cabin nearby.....
    Might be worth checking out:
    http://gallinacanyonranch.com/jacal.htm
    http://gallinacanyonranch.com/directions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ventureout View Post
    I've been eyeballing those canyons the last couple of years. Not sure if I can make the 28th, are you heading in from Gallina?
    No, more private roads there. Im usually not too keen on pressing access in New Mexico national forests....not quite like trying to do so in UT or CO. Were going in from the top via Mesa Laguna. We are only arriving late on the 28th, we are going to do the canyon the 29th...if you do end up making it work we'd love to have you. We wont be getting out of Gunnison until 3ish.....

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Grr, stupid enter key.

Yep, been through that site, it helped in researching! Unfortunately they don't want to give up the keycode unless you rent the casita...

How did it go?

Shut down......full TR coming later tonight