Thread: Yankee Doodle Canyon - 15 June 2013

Yankee Doodle Canyon - 15 June 2013

Yankee Doodle Canyon

This canyon truly was a little "DANDY" (pun intended 20 min from Leeds Utah lies a beautiful little canyon up in the Silver Reef Mountains. One of the things that I loved most about this canyon was the easy access. From where you park your car, to where the canyon trailhead, is only about 100 yards. The initial rappel is a really fun and REALLY scenic!

The canyon is used alot by local guide companies, so there are lots of bolts and different entrances into the canyon. When we got there, there was rope dangling from two bolts on the cliff face. instead of using our rope, we decided to use theirs LOL! (Don't do that, it is generally bad practice to use someone elses rope, but we were lazy)

I will tell ya, that first rappel is very pretty, It is about 100' to the bottom and at that bottom you will find beautiful green trees and other foliage. I LOVE seeing that greenery amongst red rock in the desert. The rappel is mostly free hanging, and as you descend, the cliff faces that surround you really something to look at for me this initial section of the canyon is the best part. the rest of the canyon was good and fun, but the initial start is the prettiest.

My Brother-in-law (Seth Stickney) was with me on this canyon and it was fun for me to see him do such a large rappel. It had been a long time since he had gone rappelling, so for him to jump on a rope dangling of a 100' cliff and hardly flinch was truly impressive!

Jeff, Josh, and Jacob all seemed to enjoy the first rappel too (just don't talk to Jeff as he rappels. he will yell at you, something we have got to purge from him!). Because we were using someone elses ropes, I wasn't sure when I peered over the edge to see if the two rope ends were touching the ground. +Josh was eager to hop on the rope and go-and-see! If they hadn't been touching the ground he would have been hanging there while we either sent him another rope, or he would have had to ascend up the rope. Fortunately for all of us the rope did touch the ground and we all made it safely to the bottom.

The rest of the canyon was full of fun down climbs and more pretty narrows. there were a few really tricky down climbs. a few we had to provide some rope belays and some spots from below.However, before we knew it we were at the end of the canyon trying to find our way back to the top.

The exit for this canyon is a little bit tricky, but with good, and sticky shoes, the hike up is easy. after only about 20 min of hiking up and out, you find yourself back at the parking lot! By this time those cold gatorades and water bottles are eagerly and quickly consumed!

Last edited by Kuya; 07-01-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added Video
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes 2065toyota, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks fun, I always hear about this canyon, I'll have to try it someday.

Nice work on the animated gifs, I might have to start making some of those again

Bogley BigShot
    It is a fun one Justin! Moving pictures are great! Love the trip report and photos!

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Great trip report. Looks like a lot of fun!

Awesome man. Love the creativity in your pictures and now animated gifs!?!?!

9. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Awesome man. Love the creativity in your pictures and now animated gifs!?!?!
    Thanks, in Canyons like this you get a little more time to have fun!
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Very cool Blake!
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

12. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Here is the video of our trip :D Enjoy!

My YouTube Channel

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post