Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Echo Canyon

Echo Canyon

Anyone been through Echo in the last few weeks? Just curious on the conditions as well as if this would be a good time to give it a try or if everyone thinks its a better canyon later in the year.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From the NPS last weekend: Dead Owl in one stinky pool; the rest of the canyon is OK.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the update Scott P

My friend says the owl is all bones now....

I really don't give a hoot.....

Groan

We're doing this canyon end of July is a shoty wetsuit going to be enough protection?

Last edited by JBartlett; 07-04-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: double post

I was there last Thursday. There is very little water, only one short swim and I believe we were wet to the waist 2 other times. I just wore a long-sleeve base layer, though I got chilled and probably could have done with a light wetsuit jacket or similar. I think a shorty would be fine.

The canyon itself is very short, so if it's 100 degrees out like it was last week you won't need much cold-water protection. It's worth noting that even near the solstice at mid-day, not much sun makes its way into those narrows!

I didn't find any of the pools to be stinky, at ALL, which was contrary to my expectation -- and I didn't notice an owl.

Quote Originally Posted by JBartlett View Post
    I was there last Thursday. There is very little water, only one short swim and I believe we were wet to the waist 2 other times. I just wore a long-sleeve base layer, though I got chilled and probably could have done with a light wetsuit jacket or similar. I think a shorty would be fine.

The canyon itself is very short, so if it's 100 degrees out like it was last week you won't need much cold-water protection. It's worth noting that even near the solstice at mid-day, not much sun makes its way into those narrows!

I didn't find any of the pools to be stinky, at ALL, which was contrary to my expectation -- and I didn't notice an owl.

So if its 100+ no wetsuit is manageable or should we still pack the wet suits? I currently only have a 7mm full wetsuit so I would like to be able to leave it in the car if its not a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    So if its 100+ no wetsuit is manageable or should we still pack the wet suits? I currently only have a 7mm full wetsuit so I would like to be able to leave it in the car if its not a must.
    You would pretty much die in a 7mm full wetsuit. I'd say for Echo right now, a 3mm farmer john or shorty is the max. You're going to get soaked to the neck once, and to the waist once or twice more, so it's more about how cold you get when your clothes are wet and you're in a deep narrows for another 45 minutes or so.

I have to agree with JBartlett. i just did echo wed and i did it just fine without a wetsuit. the girl I took had a 3mm wet suit and she was happy she did since she gets cold easier. the first pot hole was a little less then chest deep (I'm 5'10). but the girl had to swim. the rest were waist deep if that and the only really stinky pot hole was so low we could walk around it. we did it earlier in the day so we could have more time on our date. but even though it was cool outside of the slot the slot was fine.

Anyone been through Echo after the rain we got last week. I'm still curious on if the wetsuit is needed accuweather.com shows temps reaching 103 I'm thinking a base Layer of Under Armor Cold gear may work, I've had success with it scuba diving in the past rather than a wetsuit. Any thoughts are appreciated as always.

Blog Entries
    Anyone been through Echo after the rain we got last week. I'm still curious on if the wetsuit is needed accuweather.com shows temps reaching 103 I'm thinking a base Layer of Under Armor Cold gear may work, I've had success with it scuba diving in the past rather than a wetsuit. Any thoughts are appreciated as always.
    Jeff Guest and I were going to do Echo on Sunday but got a late start and didn't end up doing it...however as this May help...it is true...Keyhole is full and feels great! Lots of water and most of it nearly bathtub warm, except the flooded hallway. Pinecreek DID Not get with the rains. So my guess is that Echo got hit as well since the rangers said Spry flashed from the rains.

But man, keyhole felt so good on that 105 degree day...and id guess echo would be the same. But I would layer with at least a 2mm to enjoy it thoroughly.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I personally wouldn't do it "without" a wetsuit, It is a wetter, darker, more technical and slower canyon that Keyhole. My wife went last year without a wetsuit, well I should say it was in her pack and she just didn't want to put it on. She made it through but was pretty chilled and said next time she would just put it on. Is it really that big of a deal to wear one and be comfortable than not and be cold and rushed.

Edited from with to without.

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I personally wouldn't do it with a wetsuit, It is a wetter, darker, more technical and slower canyon that Keyhole.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Better to have and not need then to need and not have.

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    the only reason it is a deal is the only one i currently have is a 7mm full so i think its a little more then over kill for this canyon. Not to mention one of the others in my group doesn't own one and would rather not try to rent one.

the only reason it is a deal is the only one i currently have is a 7mm full so i think its a little more then over kill for this canyon. Not to mention one of the others in my group doesn't own one and would rather not try to rent one.
    Better overkill than underkill. Unzip the back of your 7mm if you get hot. The water in there is COLD, and more sustained than Keyhole or Pine Creek. Personally, I'd just buck up and rent a 5mm from ZAC. They are cheap.

I went through a couple of years ago in July. In one of the potholes, I could see my breath floating over the surface of the water. I wore a 3/2 and was very cold. Booties hightly recommended.

I could see gambling with Keyhole, because it is so short. You would live. I would not gamble with Echo.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Better overkill than underkill. Unzip the back of your 7mm if you get hot. The water in there is COLD, and more sustained than Keyhole or Pine Creek. Personally, I'd just buck up and rent a 5mm from ZAC. They are cheap.

I went through a couple of years ago in July. In one of the potholes, I could see my breath floating over the surface of the water. I wore a 3/2 and was very cold. Booties hightly recommended.

I could see gambling with Keyhole, because it is so short. You would live. I would not gamble with Echo.

Bob
    Thanks for the recommendation sounds like i'll be packing the 7mm with me.

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    UVU has excellent NRS 3mm Full and Farmer John wetsuits for rent. I've even told them that we are using them for canyoneering and they don't have a problem with it.

$7/10 for 3 days (FJ/full)

$15/18 for the whole week (FJ/full)

http://www.uvu.edu/oac/equipmentrentals/

[TABLE="width: 880"]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Snowboards 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    Burton Snowboard Package $20 $35 $7
    Burton Snowboard $15 $20 $5
    Burton Snowbaord Boots $8 $14 $3

Snowshoes 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    Snowshoe Package (shoes/neos) $10 $15 $4
    Snowshoes $8 $12 $3
    Neos Overshoes $4 $7 $2

Bikes 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    Beach Cruiser $30 $45 $20
    Phat Cycles Tandem Beach Cruiser $30 $45 $20
    Chariot $30 $45 $20
    Norco Mountain Bike-Full Susp $30 $45 $20
    Trek Mountain Bike-29er $30 $45 $20
    Trek Road Bike $30 $45 $20
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="width: 280"]
    Rafts 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    13ft Paddle Raft (self-bailing) $65 $120 $50
    13ft/17ft Raft (paddle,sb) $80 $150 $55
    16ft/17ft Raft (w/frame, sb) $90 $180 $60

Kayaks 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    Kayak Package $20 $35 $15
    Sea Kayak Package $20 $35 $15
    2-Person Inflatable Kayak $20 $35 $15

Canoes 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    15ft/17ft Canoe $20 $35 $15

Miscellaneous 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    PFD Type III $4 $6 $2
    Kayak Paddle $6 $10 $2
    Canoe Paddle $2 $5 $2
    Dry Bag $7 $12 $3
    Wetsuit (Farmer John/Jane Style) $4 $7 $2
    Full Wetsuit 3mm $6 $10 $2
    NRS River Tubes $6 $10 $2
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="width: 280"]
    Tents 1 Day 2-3
    Days
    Add 1
    Day
    MSR Fury (2 person) $7 $12 $3
    Hubba Hubba (2 person) $7 $12 $3
    Mutha Hubba (3 person) $10 $15 $5
    Sierra Design Large Tent (6 person) $12 $18 $6

[TABLE="width: 275"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sleeping Bags[/TD]
    [TD]1 Day[/TD]
    [TD]2-3
    Days[/TD]
    [TD]Add 1
    Day[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][URL="http://www.uvu.edu/oac/equipmentrentals/info_sleeping_bags.html#lamina35"]Mountain Hardwear (35