Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Lomond Peak Single Track Ride

Eat. Poop. Ride/Hike/Ski. maChete's Avatar

Ben Lomond Peak Single Track Ride

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]I decided to go for a little therapy ride after work yesterday to Ben Lomond Peak. The starting point was the trail head parking lot at the top of North Ogden Pass. I got rollin about 5:00 PM. Ran into snow on the switchbacks that go up the East side of BL Peak. Had to get creative and make my own way around it in a few spots, but I eventually made it to the Peak with some extra effort. Then I headed North across the ridge towards Willard Peak. While crossing the West facing slope below Willard Peak I encountered many large herds of Mountain Goats, some standing right on the trail. I stopped and watched some baby goats head butting each other and playing
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Roger That....Over!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool. Nice goats and I didn't know about that lake? Sweet!

Sweet ride, that's a great trail!! (Unless its a weekend and packed with people :)

Prick
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Hey now is that one not supposed to be closed till the 15th of next month anyways? Key word NOT?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I can see it now that I have to dragg my sorry ass up there to ride your I meen set you all strait

Either wqy bro I wont a shot at the new ride and I will trade you mine for a mile or two:-).

You will not walk away with out a smile.G
    Barbo gave me a shot at his 570 while he took a shot at my 500 and I can say this. I think we have never road that wash so fast in our lives but dam that boy needs to replace that 2x4 he calls a seat. LMAO. Good times.

Well get on up here and let's go ride! Me, Mark and my neighbor Steve rode Am. Fork today

Trying to close a deal on a tent trailer as we speak so if I get my ass up there it will be worth my time.
    U know how that works.

Got to get mom out for some fun as well. While I can. That my friend is a short chain. But a must do.
    I can only hope my kids will do the same some day for my old ass.

But I am on my way bro.

Just think IDAHO BRO.

Just don't be supprised if you see an old grey hair reading a book in the screen section of the pop up when you show up and see me bent over the motor or air filter. LMAO

I've rode your bike before but have you riddin mine?

Kind of a sweet 4-t if you ask around but? THat bike of yours is a true sweet heart.

But then again any monkey can ride a 2-t LOL Takes a man to ride a big bore 4 :)

Shoot I just left the door open for then 250 2-t bitches that never make the big climbs LMAO and then some.

That aint smack jack it is what it is.

And here comes Nelson ccc less.

That trail (northern Skyline) has a seasonal closure, and is not open to motorcycles until July 16th. It's good to hear you didn't see other tracks... shows others have learned to observe the closure. Also, the old trail down to the pond in Willard Basin is no longer open at all. Access to the Skyline Trail from the north is via a new trail that starts from Inspiration Point and runs along the ridgeline.

The south half of the Skyline Trail, from Pineview to North Odgen Divide, doesn't have the seasonal closure. So you can ride that now.

Quote Originally Posted by SportSawyer View Post
    That trail (northern Skyline) has a seasonal closure, and is not open to motorcycles until July 16th. It's good to hear you didn't see other tracks... shows others have learned to observe the closure. Also, the old trail down to the pond in Willard Basin is no longer open at all. Access to the Skyline Trail from the north is via a new trail that starts from Inspiration Point and runs along the ridgeline.

The south half of the Skyline Trail, from Pineview to North Odgen Divide, doesn't have the seasonal closure. So you can ride that now.
    I was not aware that the trail had later opening date than the South side or I wouldn't have rode it. There are no posting at the trailhead and my map doesn't state it. As far as seeing other motorcycle tracks up there...I saw plenty of tracks on both ends of the trail, just not in the tough part going around the snow right near BL peak. As for the access coming to or leaving the inspiration side there are no closure signs stating any of the trails that I rode are closed and my map doesn't show anything different. Again, had I know I wouldn't have rode it. My apoligies.
    Roger That....Over!

Quote Originally Posted by maChete View Post
    I was not aware that the trail had later opening date than the South side or I wouldn't have rode it. There are no posting at the trailhead and my map doesn't state it. As far as seeing other motorcycle tracks up there...I saw plenty of tracks on both ends of the trail, just not in the tough part going around the snow right near BL peak. As for the access coming to or leaving the inspiration side there are no closure signs stating any of the trails that I rode are closed and my map doesn't show anything different. Again, had I know I wouldn't have rode it. My apoligies.
    Don't apologize till you do your own research. We get these anti-moto types down here that will post and say the trails are closed, they'll even go out and lay old joshua trees across the trail. At one point last year some guys even stole a closed trail sign from a real closed trail and mounted it at the other trail. After taking a pic and geotagging it and talking to the BLM it turns out it's not closed at all.

If it's not posted and not on the map there is only so much you can do. If the BLM or any other agency is going to close a trail, permanently or seasonally then they have the responsibility to get that info out there to the riding public. At a minimum is should be posted at the TH in some form or another.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Here's a link to the official "Motor Vehicle Use Map."

http://prdp2fs.ess.usda.gov/Internet...rdb5368564.pdf

That's the official map for motorized trails on the Ogden Ranger District of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.

See legend on page 3 and seasonal closures on page 6. Then look at page 14 (Map 3-A) and Skyline Trail 001. The rest of the northern Skyline Trail 001 & 001G is on pages 15 & 22 (Maps 3-B & 4-B). You can also check to see that the Skyline Trail south of North Ogden Divide doesn't have the seasonal closure.

And... it doesn't matter if it's "posted at the TH in some form or another." The MVUM shows what's legally open, when, and to what uses. I've seen ATV tracks on that trail, but it's not open to ATVs. Just because some a-hole removed the "No ATVs" sticker doesn't open it to ATVs. Same as if some a-hole removed the seasonal closure notice doesn't remove the seasonal closure, or if some a-hole removes the "Motorcycles Allowed" sticker (or puts a red circle & slash overlay on it) doesn't close it to motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by SportSawyer View Post
    Here's a link to the official "Motor Vehicle Use Map."

http://prdp2fs.ess.usda.gov/Internet...rdb5368564.pdf

That's the official map for motorized trails on the Ogden Ranger District of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.

See legend on page 3 and seasonal closures on page 6. Then look at page 14 (Map 3-A) and Skyline Trail 001. The rest of the northern Skyline Trail 001 & 001G is on pages 15 & 22 (Maps 3-B & 4-B). You can also check to see that the Skyline Trail south of North Ogden Divide doesn't have the seasonal closure.

And... it doesn't matter if it's "posted at the TH in some form or another." The MVUM shows what's legally open, when, and to what uses. I've seen ATV tracks on that trail, but it's not open to ATVs. Just because some a-hole removed the "No ATVs" sticker doesn't open it to ATVs. Same as if some a-hole removed the seasonal closure notice doesn't remove the seasonal closure, or if some a-hole removes the "Motorcycles Allowed" sticker (or puts a red circle & slash overlay on it) doesn't close it to motorcycles.
    Dude! Calm down! Take a Midol. It Is What It Is. That's very generous of you to supply map links and explain a few rules and try to educate the offroad riders out there but it isn't cool of you to start slinging shit at others and insinuating they know nothing and are a-holes because they didnt know a closure date all the while you take a holier-than-thou stance. Breath in

Know before you go is the rule of thumb but they sure don't make it easy sometimes.

Maybe I'll get the pleasure of meeting Mr. A HOLE In person and he can tell me all about it. That would be delightful. For me anyway. :p

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Just some background; the trail is closed until mid July because of the breeding or birthing of the mountain goats. One of the two anyway, I can't remember. I don't think there is a reason to apologize just learn and inform others. The forest service does a poor job of advertising the trail as seaonally closed. Most people I talk to on the trail don't even know what a MVUM is. I was on the Highline trail on Sunday and talked to a kid who had just ridden up Ben Lomond the day before. He was asking about where the trail went to and was amazed when I started showing him on my printed map. Folks just hear by word of mouth of a sweet trail and when they get to the trail head there is nothing saying whether it is open or closed.

For what it's worth, there has been a sign at the trail head every time I've been up there, although, admittedly, it's been a little while.

I've been up there several times in the last few years and I didn't realize it until someone mentioned it here. My apologies to MaChete, as we both ride there and I failed to mention it to him prior to going. Hey, I forget stuff, ok man...... And I have never noticed any signs stating such, but that could just be me seeing the motorcycle without the red line through it and calling it good. Still learning.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

IT's time now right? or do we have a week?
    Need to get up there for some AF and BL and some other goodies here shortly.
    My bike and I need something other than 108* dez.

Don't get me wrong the bike never complains just the rider.

Way to dam hot.

How hot is it?
    It's so dam hot I'm afraid I'll have to head up north to shit can this very abused rear tire cause I have not the energy to change it down here in this heat. LMAO

It's a very sorry tire been turned once and if you see her you"ll never guess that she was in her prime IRC not long ago.LOL

Sad thing is I still have two more to turn and a fresh IT to mount but? If I'm heading into the dark stuff up there I'll find a new mx 51 just cause ,well just cause.

It's been a long time and I forget about the suspension and how I need to think much slower.