Thread: [Trip Report] Canyonlands SUP Tour

[Trip Report] Canyonlands SUP Tour

NOTE: this post was somehow corrupted (?)

for full report see the original on Stand Up Zone: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/ind...c,25251.0.html

here's the first part:

Spectacular scenery and solitude – the Green and Colorado Rivers provide access to magnificent, isolated Utah canyonlands. In May we’d made a one-night trip through Labyrinth Canyon
    as an intro to SUP camp-touring.Now we were eager to return and continue through Stillwater Canyon in Canyonlands National Park to the confluence of the Green with the Colorado River.
    Back to Utah June 5-9. The map below shows our route and campsites. We scheduled a jetboat from Tag-a-Long Expeditions to pick us up below the confluence for the return to Moab.

Day 1 – Upper Labyrinth Canyon

Fewer pics the first two days because we previously posted several from our May trip (see http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...(photo-intense!)).

As before we launched from Ruby Ranch. After about a mile or so you leave the open valleys, and the river begins to carve the canyon while meandering back and forth.

After about 25 miles (near the end of the first loop of Bowknot Bend) we spotted a nice place to camp on a sandy shelf with a good view of the river.

Day 2 –Lower Laby & Upper Stillwater

Morning paddling is sublime! The air is cooler (60-70s), the river is usually glassy in the still air, and the low light adds contrast to the majestic canyon walls.

We reached Mineral Bottom just before noon and were greeted by a Park Ranger. They check with the river outfitters to keep track of things and were curious as to how (and whether)
    we had met Utah’s river regulations for an unsupported standup paddle trip. We’d checked with them before our Labyrinth trip so we had our ducks in a row:
    permit, spare PFD, spare paddle/propulsion device, first aid kit, a toilet system (we took “wag bags”) and a “fire pan”.
    For the latter we were allowed to take an aluminum basting pan for emergency use since we did not plan on building fires.
    Ranger Jake was super friendly and even offered advice on places to camp.

A few miles below Mineral Bottom Stillwater Canyon opens up in places offering great views of cliffs and distant mesas.

Started heating up on day 2, probably 90-100

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Udink liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No way! When I saw the name of your post I clicked, mostly because I wanted to see what kind of kayaks you were on. Paddle Boards!! Wow, that is pretty unique. Looks like they were just the thing too.

Blog Entries
    Wow! This is very cool! Thanks for the detailed info and pics and itinerary. I did SUP in Kauai about 2 years back and it was fun, yet a different experience. Even my sisters dog does well just sitting on one and enjoying the views. I'm gonna bookmark this for a future trip! Thanks
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Great TR, the confluence is pretty awesome couldn't agree more! Pretty impressive to do it in SUPs!

I just tried SUP for the first time and I have even more respect! I was thinking about this post too. So silly question, you don't really switch sides constantly while paddling right? Use your J and U strokes or whatever to just keep the paddle on one side mostly? Kind of like canoeing, until that side gets tired?

paddling technique

Aloha Shan,

Tracking on SUP boards depends on conditions (current, wind, waves, chop), equipment (board & fins), and especially your stroke technique.
    Where you plant the blade and how you pull are critical. Two keys to tracking straight are a vertical paddle shaft and a parallel pull.
    You need to get both hands out past the side of the board so the paddle is vertical. This usually involves some twisting and shoulder stacking.
    You should also keep your arms pretty straight and use your stronger core/trunk/leg muscles rather than just your arms and shoulders.
    Paddle blade exit can have an effect, but we don't make an effort to use a "J-stroke". Angling the blade or pull can be used to adjust direction.
    Watch someone good/fast, and then practice... practice... practice...

You can track straight on any board with proper technique, but most folks will switch sides about every 10-15 strokes to prevent fatigue on one side.
    Paddling on one side for very long - 100s of strokes- in a strong cross-wind is especially tiring!

-Larry