Thread: Practice long rappels in SLC?

Practice long rappels in SLC?

Looking for a somewhat easy-access location (access to the top) in the SLC area where we could practice 200-300 ft rappels. Mostly, or at least partially, free-hanging would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Big or little cottonwood canyon are probably your best bets. There are several in Ogden as well.

Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    Looking for a somewhat easy-access location (access to the top) in the SLC area where we could practice 200-300 ft rappels. Mostly, or at least partially, free-hanging would be ideal.

Any suggestions?
    2 to 300 feet? Partially free air? Easy access?

Scratchin' my head. I got nothin'.

Some of the first pitches on the routes on Devil's Castle have around 200 feet of free air. 5.9ish to 5.11ish steep climbing approach, not to mention humpin' your ropes up there. Gothic Pillar or Portable Darkness would work.

Name:  Portable rap.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  131.8 KB

Kinda a bunch of snow up there right now. Road up Albion is still closed. I guess it doesn't meet the "easy access" requirements.

Honestly, I can't come up with a location. Low angle raps, sure. Maybe the top of JHCOB wall straight down. Someone installed anchors up on top I've noticed. You'd have to be careful about loose rock, but, its a fairly easy hike up to the top (a bit of a grind and kinda loose in spots). Rocks knocked off could kill someone on the road or climbing (seriously, and, I've seen super close calls from folks not taking care with loose rocks). I think there's a fixed anchor atop Weed B Gone and it might be 300 feet to the deck from it. Dunno though. Folks really don't rappel that formation, but, mostly climb it.

Bumble Bee Wall? Again, a fairly popular climbing venue. Big drop from the top, though, maybe 260 feet? Similar cautions would apply.

Mule Hollow is steep, but, not free air. Bit of an approach.

Top of Glass Ocean from the diving board might be 300. Some free. Hmm. Bit of a hike. Rock pretty solid. Not too many climbers.

Name:  188862_10150129380554137_7744807_n.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  86.3 KB
    Access the Shoreline Trail at the top of Wasatch at Hidden Valley Park. There is a bridge over the stream. Hike on the east side of the stream and bridge up a ways and you'll find a 100ft rappel and possibly a 150 ft that is mostly free hanging. I slung some rope around some rocks. To do the 150ft rappel you'll have to figure out an anchor that is 30-40ft away as there aren't any rocks close to the edge. It's an easy climb on the south side of this picture to get to both rappels.
    Darin

Hellgate buttress across the road from Snowbird, loose rock though.

Or

Echo canyon. Pick a spot. There are tons but getting up might be tricky. Tree anchors should be easy to come by.

Or

Willard canyon.
    I can't remember the name of the cliff but it tops out at about 600' STRAIGHT down, maybe slightly over hanging in spots an also has lower start points on the west shoulder above the gravel pits.