Thread: Labyrinth Canyon

Labyrinth Canyon

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone else is doing Labyrinth Canyon this summer? I'm doing my 3rd Labyrinth Trip in 4yrs (didn't do it last yr) 2 yr's ago was crazy with the high water and enough mesquitos to littlerly carry you away (nothin' stopped em then, not even a full no see um suit and covered head to toe in Jungle Juice 100) 3 yrs ago was perfect. Had awesome thunderstoms in the canyon on 3 seperate days and was able to experience the canyon in the way most never will

Anyway we have a large group. Full permit of 25 and I'm looking for updates on all the large sandbars for camping. I prefer to camp on the sandbars if possible. I've used most of the other large high camps in yrs past but figure with the low water levels this yr it should be sand bar heaven.

Also thinking about using Redtail Aviation for my shuttle from Mineral Bottom on Monday morning back to the put in at Green River State Park. if anybody has any experience with them I'd like to hear. I know a few guys on here have used Redtail Aviation and I've heard nothing but positive reveiws.

My trip is mid-August, yeah I know I know, hot as hell and beleive me it is but I've done it before it August and it really wasn't that bad if you're a desert rat already. August has some advantages which can offset the disadvantages if you're willing to experience something different.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Also thinking about using Redtail Aviation for my shuttle from Mineral Bottom on Monday morning back to the put in at Green River State Park. if anybody has any experience with them I'd like to hear. I know a few guys on here have used Redtail Aviation and I've heard nothing but positive reviews.
    I have used Redtail Aviation! We left our fully rigged/packed (unattended) canoe on the shores of the Green River State Park at 7am. Then crossed our fingers and drive to Mineral Bottoms 2 hours away. We had made a 9am appointment for the pilots to pick us up at the little landing strip.

It was $66 for each person, and my dog was free (my friend was ticked that his 3 year old daughter cost money, where as my dog was free). The let you take on 25 pounds of gear per person. We just had water on us really. My poor dog was a little freaked she needed some earmuffs.

The pilots love their job. You fly right over the Labyrinth and they point out neat features. The ride took 20 minutes in all.

Then to get from the Green River Airport to the Green River State Park (about 5 miles), we hired Tumbleweed Tours to pick us up (really just a lady with a car). Others have stashed bikes at the airport and shuttled themselves.

On the river by 9:15am!

I loved the plane ride and I loved having our car all ready for us at the end. To save money, one person could do the flight.

Shuttles for Green River
    http://shuttlequest.com/utah/rivers/greenRiver.html

4. Likes CanyonRat liked this post
    So has anybody ever done this trip with water flows under 1,000 cfs. My two previous tris were at Approx 3,800 and 8,500 cfs. I know the recommended flow is 1,000 to 20,00 cfs. I imagine a more defined river course and lots of beach which isn't a bad thing. I'll toss a few skimboards in on of the canoes to help fill up some beach time. Any imput would be grea

Thanks

Al