Thread: Petzl Aspir or Pandion

Petzl Aspir or Pandion

Has anyone tried the Pandion? It looks like a great harness when you know there are only one or two short raps and you want something that is quite compact in the pack.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have an Aspir, definently compact, but I had to retire it after two trips. The horizontal belay loop is two layers, the outer possible being dyneema, the inner is nylon, how do I know this, the outer layer pulled out of the stiching exposing the inner loop, much like taking the sheath off a rope. Since the two layers share the same stiching I am no longer using it. Two trips, a couple of free rappells, no abuse. I will call Petzl at some point and see what they say. I hope this was a fluke, I have had good luck with Petzl harnesses and still have a more traditional model of theirs.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
    I have an Aspir, definently compact, but I had to retire it after two trips. The horizontal belay loop is two layers, the outer possible being dyneema, the inner is nylon, how do I know this, the outer layer pulled out of the stiching exposing the inner loop, much like taking the sheath off a rope. Since the two layers share the same stiching I am no longer using it. Two trips, a couple of free rappells, no abuse. I will call Petzl at some point and see what they say. I hope this was a fluke, I have had good luck with Petzl harnesses and still have a more traditional model of theirs.
    We use Petzl Aspir's at Zion Adventure Company and they have proved reasonably durable.

I have used (up) two Aspir's personally, and have been less happy with them. I guess I am tougher on gear than our clients. The webbing where it sits in the buckle gets chewed up faster than I would like. Never had any problem with the tie-in point.

I bought a Pandion recently to try out for low-rappel-count canyons, though I intend to modify it with a Scuttlebutt and maybe other gear loops. The wide webbing I hope will be more durable.

Tom

How would you add Gear Loops? I too would like more loops.

Tom is a sewer extraordinaire...that's how he'd add more gear loops...

Sewer eh? That just read funny at first.

For my canyon harness, I sewed vinyl onto the leg loops and high wear areas. Not much you can do about the stiff webbing at the buckle that tom mentioned though

What do you call a seamstress's male counterpart anyway?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    What do you call a seamstress's male counterpart anyway?
    The gender-neutral term is 'stitcher'. Officially, usually 'sewing machine operator'.

T

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum