Thread: Das Boot & Pine Creek Conditions

Das Boot & Pine Creek Conditions

We're going to be in Zion this week. We permits for Das Boot and Pine Creek. Does anyone know what the water levels are like?

We're going through with a group of beginners. Everyone will have a wetsuit, but I have heard that the canyons can be more technically difficult in low water conditions. We won't have any pothole escape gear and very little pothole experience. Does this seem appropriate & safe?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't know about Das boot water levels, but unless its rained recently down there, PC should be mostly dry. I would recommend not taking wetsuits on PC. There was some water about chest deep at the first drop and then a swim at the cathedral, but dry everywhere else.

Neither Pine Creek or Das boot have pot hole issues. i would agree with TommyBoy, monsson hasn't kicked in yet and it was a mild winter so i don't imagine any of the canyons having much water this time a year. Pine Creek is much more fun full of water but a fun canyon none the less. Das boot in my opinion is a good start to subway and you should have no issues with it at all. I would atleast recomend a shortie for Das boot. If you were earlier in the year or late in the year a full we suite in das boot is required. Its dark and pretty cold down there, but good choice its a fun one.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

If your doing das boot without the subway then just turn in your permits and get something else. I'm not sure the water level this year but we did das boot last July fourth and I wore my 4/3 full through das boot and then packed it through the subway. It sucks packing it but I remember being pretty glad I wore it.

Pine creek is super low right now. I agree if you have a small or good group you'll be fine without wetsuits. But if you have a large slow group that doesn't leapfrog then maybe the suits wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I did it may 30th so unless its rained down there you won't need wetsuits at all even if you're slow. The water at the first drop you were out of it after about 15'-20' and then there was a swimmer at the bottom of the cathedral but again you're out within 30 sec of swimming, longer if you're sticking around to belay the next guy, but not worth it to lug a wetsuit through. Everything else was dry not even a puddle, just sandy walking.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

We just posted an update on Candition.com.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti18 View Post
    We just posted an update on Candition.com.
    Thanks a ton
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"