Thread: Fat man half Marathon

Fat man half Marathon

hey guys, I was hoping to glean some of your knowledge and experience.

So after doing fat mans misery I fell in love with the parunuweap canyon system and started looking at it via google earth. and I saw a connection of canyons i wanted to do. I want to start at checkerboard do Fat Mans Misery, then head up stream to frecn canyon to hit up rock canyon. after rock canyon continue up stream to head out mineral gulch, then escape via Bo's alternate exit (steep).Name:  fat mans marathon.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  103.7 KB.

anyone ever done this or thought of it? think it can be done

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks fun but I don't know about the hiking out of Fence to come back down Rock. That's a lot of hiking for about 3 raps (though the big rap in the middle IS pretty cool). But I think it would be just as fun to keep hiking up Parunuweap too. Don't forget about the petroglyphs. They're pretty cool. It would be fun to check out all the side canyons that come in to the barracks above Rock. Last time I was there one of them looked pretty promising.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Last year I came down Mineral Wash, through Parunaweap and up and out the Misery exit.

You could consider hiking east up Parunaweap to Rock Canyon and then hiking up the trail that is on the west side of the canyon and then rapping back down the main flow of Rock. The narrows going north and into Mineral Wash are very good and non-technical for about a mile, and then it open up into a white rock colorful canyon up to the exit. The exit is very soft, loose and steep dirt - good luck with that.

A couple weeks ago we did something similar...

We descended Misery Canyon and spent the night below Rock Canyon. We hiked out the exit for Rock in the morning and descended Rock back to our campsite then exited via the Poverty Trail. Overall it was a great trip.

We all agreed our exit sucked, and the hike upstream was tiring... I think a better option might have been to descend Mineral Gulch, do Rock Canyon then Misery and exit via the normal Misery exit.