Thread: Length of last rappel in Imlay

Length of last rappel in Imlay

Tom lists it at 130', Luke lists it at 110'. My team and I would like to bring 120' as our longest single length, so this difference kind of matters :) Of course, we could improvise if necessary...I'd definitely be willing to pass a knot 10' off the deck on a Fiddlestick, but I'd rather just take a longer rope. Does anyone know whether a 120' is long enough for Imlay's exit to the Narrows?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tom doesn't actually measure rappels, but I do. The final rappel in Imlay is 110'. Two 120' ropes are more than adequate.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

We also used a 120' on the last rap

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Entirely true.

110 feet, for sure.

Haven't edited that one in a while, perhaps I should.

Tom

I suggest a 80' 8mm and a 50' 8mm to use in the canyon and keeping a 120' rope dry till the last rap. Keep an eye out for my 80' 8mm blue rope we lost in the narrrows

Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    Keep an eye out for my 80' 8mm blue rope we lost in the narrrows
    Sure -- which narrows, and do you happen to know which pothole?

The Zion narrows, after the last rappel. It dropped off our pack as we floated down.

Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    The Zion narrows, after the last rappel. It dropped off our pack as we floated down.
    If you lost your rope in the Narrows some kid is probably using it now to tie up his dog in the backyard, or perhaps his dad is using it to tie the new mattress to the top of the mini van.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Since we're on the topic of Imlay, anybody know the current conditions for the canyon as of now? What is the water level like inside the technical section? Do you recommend wetsuits or drysuits? I've done it in both but it really depends on the freshness of the water. Last time I did it in a drysuit and it was much more enjoyable.

I did it may 31st and I wore a 7mm wetsuit and was actually a little toasty most of the time. The only time I really got cold was when I went diving for a talon I dropped in one of the shallower potholes. I don't think a drysuit would be necessary, but it depends on how easily you get cold. As for water levels, I've only done it once so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed to be on the low end.