Thread: Total Noob

Total Noob

Hi guys! I went to Zion the end of May and have totally fallen in love. It's my new heaven on earth ( and I'm a flight attendant, so I've gotten around). I just heard about canyoneering on that trip and now I'm obsessed with learning more and participating. I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now and have been gleaning all the info I can for starting out. I also bough Tom's Zion Canyoneering book while I was down there .

My plan is to go to an indoor climbing gym so I get comfortable being on a rope and getting familiar with the gear. I'm also working on my knot tying skills. Next month I'd like to go back to Zion and take a course from the Zion Adventure Company.

I would love it if all you experts could give a noob some words of wisdom and advice for starting out . I'm all ears and excited!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When I learned the most was when I was on trips with other people. Tell them you're a noob, but want to learn and make sure you watch as they set up drops, also ask them if you can set them up while they watch. Basically be inquisitive and ask lots of questions.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Canyoneering is more than just rope work and rappeling. Get out into some non technical canyons. Get familiar with boulder hopping, down climbing, stemming, swimming in cold rank water, navigating...all these things will help make you become a better teammate instead of a liability.

Also beware: All the photos you see are the fun parts. Photos of the death march exits through brush and up loose steep slopes never seems to make it on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Also beware: All the photos you see are the fun parts. Photos of the death march exits through brush and up loose steep slopes never seems to make it on camera.

Blog Entries
    My friend Jeff guest @jguest tries to include the entrance and exit in all of his videos so you can get an idea of the whole canyon. Speaking of which, we got a Spry video coming up...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Funflygirl View Post
    My plan is to go to an indoor climbing gym so I get comfortable being on a rope and getting familiar with the gear. I'm also working on my knot tying skills. Next month I'd like to go back to Zion and take a course from the Zion Adventure Company.
    A course is a great idea. In the meantime, there is no harm in becoming a living-room canyoneer.

Some stuff to study: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techtips/

The info about the Fiddlestick and Omnisling are beyond what you need to know right now. The stuff about knots is crucial, and Tom writes em' up better than anyone.

Climb-Utah has a good primer page that has lots of good info: http://www.climb-utah.com/Misc/natural.htm

Also, Dave Black's book is very good, highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-G.../dp/0762745193
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    A course is a great idea. In the meantime, there is no harm in becoming a living-room canyoneer.

Some stuff to study: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techtips/

The info about the Fiddlestick and Omnisling are beyond what you need to know right now. The stuff about knots is crucial, and Tom writes em' up better than anyone.

Climb-Utah has a good primer page that has lots of good info: http://www.climb-utah.com/Misc/natural.htm

Also, Dave Black's book is very good, highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-G.../dp/0762745193
    Bob

Unfortunately, Dave's book is out of print so unless you want to spend $400 on an unused copy or $90 bucks on a used copy, I would wait for the new edition. I canyoneered with Dave in April and he said the new edition is all set to be released. Amazon indicates the new edition will be out September 3.

Funnyflygirl, the book is a great reference but I would hold out for the new edition. And welcome to canyoneering.

Ken

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys. As far as "death march exits and loose steep slopes" awesome...bring it on! I've lived in Utah on and off since I was 16 years old and have done a fair bit of hiking on and thru some pretty gnarly stuff.
    Thank you for those links slotmachine, and Ken I look forward to Dave's book coming out in Sept.

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post

OMG....truer words have never been spoken. The egress/regress hikes to access/retreat from epic canyons are almost as epic as the canyons themselves....but not in a good way....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Funflygirl View Post
    gnarly
    I think it's pretty cool that you know how to spell gnarly...
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Unfortunately, Dave's book is out of print so unless you want to spend $400 on an unused copy or $90 bucks on a used copy...
    Worth it. I'm just lucky to have picked one up for $20.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM