Thread: Questions about La Sportiva Xplorer

Questions about La Sportiva Xplorer

I'm thinking about buying this shoe. I'm not a technical canyoneer so I'd be using it mainly as a hiking shoe that I don't mind getting wet. I like the reports of the sticky sole though.
    Sizing? True to size? I would wear regular socks and not neoprenes.
    How about the insoles? Are they decent? or would you change them out for something better?
    Any opinions on the wear and tear, fit, comfort, etc. would be appreciated.
    Something way better?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I own a pair and think they are good.

I prefer other shoes for technical canyoneering but from what you explained, the show would be good.

The shoe seems to be true to size. If you add neoprene then I would order 1/2" bigger size.

Soles are okay. I didn't have a high arch but they provide the support I need I guess. I'm not sure if that helps.

They are good!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I own a pair and think they are good.

I prefer other shoes for technical canyoneering but from what you explained, the show would be good.

The shoe seems to be true to size. If you add neoprene then I would order 1/2" bigger size.

Soles are okay. I didn't have a high arch but they provide the support I need I guess. I'm not sure if that helps.

They are good!
    Thanks for the input. I thought I had seen some positive reviews on it as a decent shoe for scrambling and water walking. Just trying to find something better than my Korker wading shoes which are starting to take a beating.

I own the La Sportiva Boulder X and they look to be pretty similar to the Xplorer other than the sole thickness and eyelets. Mine do not seem true to size. I wear an 11, maybe an 11.5 with most brands but my Sportiva's are size 12. Having the laces go all the way down to almost the toe makes a big difference in fit. I would definitely try some on first however as I could see certain foot shapes not fitting well, say if you have thick caveman feet.

For me they are extremely comfortable and sticky, not quite as sticky as 5.10 rubber, but close enough and I get to keep my toenails. The mud also 'stomps' out of them easier than other shoes.

i have las sportiva exume ridge and also 5.10 savants for canyons and i like them both. i use the savants when i have a longer aproach, very comfy.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

I have these and seem to be doing great. Just did Short, Baptist, Chute, Black Box and they did fine for all of them. For me they fit much nicer then the old LS Canyoneering shoe which I have two pairs of. I normally wear a 42, but had to do a 42.5 in these.

Thanks you guys for the input. Pullin the trigger and getting a pair.