Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subway permit fines

Subway permit fines

Anyone know what the fine is to do the subway without a permit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The last ticket I heard about was $250, which was given to the leader of the group.

But that is not the max fine, and if the ranger is really feeling it he can issue a separate ticket to each member of the group.

If you get caught don't be an ass because the ranger has a lot of latitude in who and what he writes up.

Also... the Subway is probably the most heavily patrolled of the Zion canyons.

I believe the max fine possible also carries some jail time with it if the judge so deems.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Here we go again...

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

From what I understand most people get caught on the hike up and out. Ranger likes to sit on the rim, looking down on the hike out. At least that's where I've seen them and I've had that confirmed by others. Keep an eye out and don't dilly around in the parking lot. A good friend of mine and his group once endured a pretty nasty, bushwack of a hike out just past the normal exit in order to avoid a ranger that downhill hikers had told him about. The hike itself probably wasn't any worse than the normal hike except for the bushes.

I'm not sure if a permit is required to hike up it? Might be a better option since you can see 90% of the good stuff that way and the Subway probably isn't the best choice for poaching a canyon.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Permit is required for the hike up from the bottom, and I would disagree with the statement that you could see 90% of the good stuff that way.

I was checked at the start and at the end the last time I went through last summer. Same thing happened to me in Pine Creek last summer as well. Two canyons that probably aren't the best choice to try and poach.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Subway the rangers sit in the upper parking lot in the morning and the lower one in the afternoon. They have the times when hikers will be present pretty well dialed in....

Now... if you want a challenge do the standard route in reverse, it's a good route for experinced canyoneers. The climbing required is about 5.8 (and the rangers are watching the wrong trailheads).

Why not just go in the off-season and on a slow day of the week?

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Why not just go in the off-season and on a slow day of the week?
    Or just pick up a permit, the Subway permits are not that difficult to get.

Here is my big bitch about the permits.... I pull a lottery permit in July for Subway on a Sunday. That means I need a canyon for Friday and Saturday. I check the on-line permits and there is nothing worth while on Saturday (even that POS Behunin is booked), but I can get a Pine Creek for Friday... so now I have a hole in my schedule on Saturday....

Each and EVERY time I have done the Subway, I have been stopped and had a permit check. It has always been in two places. First, at the first rap/downclimb obstacle. The second place is as mentioned, at the rim hiking out or at the lower parking lot. The last time I did Subway, I encountered no less than 9 rangers in the canyon, but was only checked at the two places I mention. Also during the last time (Aug 2012) the ranger checking permits at the lower parking lot was packing a nice 9mm handgun and kevlar vest...
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Start late, end late. Those are the times I have not been checked. The rangers are gone from the upper lot (they are almost always there in the early morning hours) and by the time I come out, 7-8ish, they aren't going to wait for the last hiker. The hike out is not that bad in the early evening when the sun is behind the cliff edge. The hike in can be nasty hot but you have the water waiting for you to cool off at the bottom.
    Life is Good

Poach, baby poach...poach, poach, poach, poach..poach.

I've always been able to get a permit, but then again, every time I come to Zion I'm there for a week. I would imagine it's frustrating for all the weekend warriors.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Here is the thread with the correct info, from the horses mouth. :)

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-fines-in-Zion
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks all. My husband decided he would be the one to sit out. I had a permit for the rest of us. Somehow I clicked 4 instead of 5 when I applied. They dont do walk ins on Subway unless someone cancels and told me every person in one group can apply for a permit and not cancel if more than one person wins the lottery. That sucks. I only needed one more space. Thanks for the replies.

Hmmmm, is this a seasonal thing? Been to Zion 7-8 times. Always for a week. Always in mid Sept.
    Never ever been checked by Ranger. Never even seen a Ranger at any canyon TH's. Subway 4 times- all 3 ways. Never seen Ranger. Is that just way odd - or lucky?
    But then I always have permits. And always get reservations way ahead of time.
    But still - no rangers in Sept?

Have you tried flashing your National Parks Pass?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SY2YmE2SHFM

"Thats not very funny"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

19. Likes Kuya, summitseeker, ghawk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Have you tried flashing your National Parks Pass?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SY2YmE2SHFM

"Thats not very funny"
    Haha epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    Haha epic.

Damn right it an epic. In fact, I believe it needs a reprieve. Sombeech -- next time you have plans to do Fiery Furnace let me know and we'll get it done --- a second round, only strung out a lil longer next time.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I love that video.