Thread: Cable Canyon - June 8, 2013

Cable Canyon - June 8, 2013

June 8, 2013

Our group of 3 wanted to develop our pothole escape skills in a canyon in the swell, so we decided to go after "the Squeezes little brother"; Cable Canyon. We went expecting wet conditions, but instead encountered dry conditions overall, though still swam once or twice, (depending on how hard you tried not to). We carried wetsuits, and actually had them on for half an hour until we decided dehydration could prove to be a bigger concern than hypothermia the way things were going.

Hindsight being 20/20 of course, I see now a trend of trips reports, candition updates and comments in the beta that would have led us to expect a rather dry pothole experience, rather than the wet one we were anticipating. On the same hand, the wet conditions folks were finding a bit farther north just two weeks prior led us to expect potholes quite full. This canyon seemed a bit of an anomaly.

Regardless, we had a great day, got to practice our partner assisted exits and downclimbing, swam through one pothole and waded through a few more, saw some cool canyon and formations, and laughed all the way through. On one pothole we did use a rope to exit, rather than just a partner assist, and this is adequately described as the toughest pothole to exit of the canyon. Throwing a bag to the other side would be difficult due to its configuration, but we were able to boost the first member to the edge, and this was likely much easier with only shin-deep water rather than chest or chin- deep water.

The beta we used corresponded well with what we found except for the section from the Moroni slopes to the canyon bottom. What we saw and what we read didn't match up too well, we never found the "well defined" sheep trail and we missed the first rappel. I suppose it's possible we didn't hike quite far enough up the side of the canyon before dropping in. Where we did drop in, we found a solid cairn anchor that we used to get down to the canyon floor.

The first picture shows somewhat where went to get into the canyon. We crossed the ridge and dropped in by the left arrow, then traversed the "finger" towards its tip on the right side of the photo, then down and left, and found slickrock too steep for us to downclimb. That's where we encountered the cairn anchor. We thought you could probably choose not to cross the ridge and go in where I drew the dotted line, still ending up at the cairn anchor.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderzak View Post
    I see now the trend of trips reports, candition updates and comments in the beta that would have led us to expect a rather dry pothole experience, rather than the wet one we were anticipating. On the same hand, the wet conditions folks were finding a bit farther north just two weeks prior led us to expect potholes quite full. Where did we go wrong interpreting the information available to us? We carried our wetsuits all the way through, and even had them on for half an hour until we decided dehydration could prove to be a bigger concern than hypothermia the way things were going.
    After going through The Squeeze on June 2nd, finding dry conditions in there is CRAZY. The Squeeze was tippy-top FULL. I would have bet good money that Cable would have been full too. I don't think you made an error in judgement at all.

Looks fun, nice report!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Reading the TR's on The Squeeze I figured Cable would be in primo condition.

Here is my all time favorite Cable Canyon picture posted by John Lithon on Bogley a few years back.

The Impossible pothole section....

Name:  Cable.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  109.0 KB

Great TR, thanks for posting.
    I've brought a bunch of neoprene through hot/dry canyons a couple times and I feel your pain, it's no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The impossible pothole section....

Name:  Cable.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  109.0 KB

Why is it called the impossible pothole section? That last rap (the 2nd stage of the final 2 stage rap) is only like 20 feet. Did this one about 5 years ago and it remains very high on my list of canyon favs. (Probably 3rd or 4th, its a great and very underrated canyon).
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

If I remember correctly the term impossible pothole section was used in the TR were the picture first appeared.... the pothole section is pretty spectacle, but its not impossible. In fact its not even that difficult compared to many pothole canyons.

I really liked Cable and considered it equal to The Squeeze. I think the canyon is really underrated for some reason. Part of the issue is the fun factor in the slot seems to be very water dependant.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If I remember correctly the term impossible pothole section was used in the TR were the picture first appeared.... the pothole section is pretty spectacle, but its not impossible. In fact its not even that difficult compared to many pothole canyons.

I really liked Cable and considered it equal to The Squeeze. I think the canyon is really underrated for some reason. Part of the issue is the fun factor in the slot seems to be very water dependant.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Agreed with that. When we did it there was a fair amount of water all throughout the canyon. Splash in, paddle few strokes, pull yourself out and lend a hand to the guy coming up behind you. Repeat. Some raps were a little tricky with sequencing, and managing a duel stage rap at the end but, really there isn't a heckuva lot of meat to the canyon itself. I'd say the most difficult part is navigating the topo quad maps to direct your path dack to your vehicle.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.