Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zion permit availability screen

Thanks Shane! That is very helpful.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Bulloch includes Orderville
    Climb-utah's been holding out on me? :)

Not sure this is completely true. I just picked up englestead permits for the first weekend of August online. When I selected down orderville and hit submit, it kicked me back and said all orderville permits were taken, please choose a different exit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    Not sure this is completely true. I just picked up englestead permits for the first weekend of August online. When I selected down orderville and hit submit, it kicked me back and said all orderville permits were taken, please choose a different exit.
    Englestead might have started counting in the Orderville daily quota, if so, that is new and just another reason to avoid the Zion permit clusterf**k.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    Climb-utah's been holding out on me? :)
    Soon as I get around to doing it I'll post it ;-)

It's supposed to be pretty good, but a very long day. Lots of bushwhacking for a fair section of canyon. I really do very little in Zion anymore, their rules and permits have pretty much ruined my outdoor experience in the park. I expect ATM machines at the trailheads, and lifeguards at the potholes any day now.

Soon as I get around to doing it I'll post it ;-)

It's supposed to be pretty good, but a very long day. Lots of bushwhacking for a fair section of canyon. I really do very little in Zion anymore, their rules and permits have pretty much ruined my outdoor experience in the park. I expect ATM machines at the trailheads, and lifeguards at the potholes any day now.
    Yeah, we still need to do this. I took a good look at the exit this past weekend when coming down Orderville. Let's get the ole Uutah gang together again and hit it.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Let's get the ole Uutah gang together again and hit it.
    That would be a fun trip.

Do Misery and Hidden still require permits? I couldn't find them on the canyon reservation list on the Zion NP website.

Misery doesn't require a permit because it is outside the park.

Hidden requires a permit as do all canyons inside the park that require ropes.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Only the most popular canyons are on the on-line list.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    I recently had a friend wait at the Zion backcountry desk for a really long time only to find out that there weren't any walk-in permits available for any interesting canyons. That seems pretty ridiculous to me, and would be easily solved by a screen that displayed permit availability located at the backcountry desk. I would love to just do this myself because it's so easy. My pitch would be:

I've observed a problem where people waiting in the backcountry desk line can't tell whether it's worth waiting because the canyon(s) they want aren't even available. I'd like to solve this problem by giving you this device and a monitor for free -- it will display how many permits are available for each canyon (like the image below), updated every few minutes automatically with no intervention. It consumes only 5W with the monitor off, so the total annual electricity cost should be well under $10. The only operation it requires is for a ranger to turn the monitor on and off according to when it's needed. The only things I'd need in order to install it for you would be a power outlet and and ethernet jack (or someone to type in the wifi password, if one exists).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about who at Zion I should talk to about this and whether they might be receptive?
    uhh not to derail your thread. But you are going about this all wrong. you need to turn this into a phone App, sell for a couple bucks and become rich beyond your wildest dreams.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    uhh not to derail your thread. But you are going about this all wrong. you need to turn this into a phone App, sell for a couple bucks and become rich beyond your wildest dreams.
    That would ne sweet.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Skiclimb. What day in august we have 12 slots for ordervile on aug. 9th its a friday. i should have some extra ones if you want them. i am not sure on my group size yet but if that is the same weekend you will be there we can figure a way of giving them to you. If not i will let the dest know that what our group size is a couple days before.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

I've been through Englestead twice. Both times they required me to also get an Orderville permit. The first time was in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    I've been through Englestead twice. Both times they required me to also get an Orderville permit. The first time was in 2009.

I've done Englestead a half dozen times and never picked up an Orderville permit (last time I believe was 2010). I have no clue if my Englestead permit counted against the Orderville quota, but I was only issued one permit that listed my entry and exit and I was not charged for an extra canyon.

I'd like to hear the experience of others? How was your Englestead permit been issued the past several years? Is this something that depends on the ranger on duty?

I've done Englestead a half dozen times and never picked up an Orderville permit (last time I believe was 2010). I have no clue if my Englestead permit counted against the Orderville quota, but I was only issued one permit that listed my entry and exit and I was not charged for an extra canyon.

I'd like to hear the experience of others? How was your Englestead permit been issued the past several years? Is this something that depends on the ranger on duty?

Went two weeks ago and Orderville exit was included as part of my Englestead permit. I received my Engelstad permit through the last minute lottery. I don't know if it counted against the Orderville quota though.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

First couple of times my permit did not include a separate orderville permit. However on our last Englestead trip in '11 we were forced to hike up and out since there were no more available permits for orderville. We were just going to go down it anyways but happened to run into a couple of rangers at the exit of englestead who had hiked down to make sure we didn't go down orderville, especially since there was a flash flood warning and it was raining pretty hard.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I tried to get a englestead permit the other day with my express member id and selected the down orderville exit and it came back that there were no permits for orderville left and would only process the permit if I selected the up orderville exit on the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    I tried to get a englestead permit the other day with my express member id and selected the down orderville exit and it came back that there were no permits for orderville left and would only process the permit if I selected the up orderville exit on the permit.
    Since you can't seem to find a 300' deep canyon I have some openings for the 29th and can show you the way there .

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Since you can't seem to find a 300' deep canyon I have some openings for the 29th and can show you the way there .
    Haha I knew better then to comment on an englestead thread with you. If you have room for two sign me up. Are you exiting up or down.