Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upper Black Box - San Rafael Swell

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Has anyone downclimbed the whole gully from top to bottom? We met some guys from Price that claim they had.
    I bet they are telling the truth. It would be fun to try that downclimb.

The rock in the gully is a little loose so a slip there could be fatal. I'd recommend a belay even for the highly skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Nice running in to you guys out there, @Slot Machine and @Iceaxe .
    It was nice to meet you too Dennis! It was crazy that I recognized your dog from 300 feet away. He's famous!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Has anyone downclimbed the whole gully from top to bottom?
    Mike Kesley has upclimbed (first time doing the (Upper Black Box) and downclimbed (scouting for entry exit points when the log jam was in there) the route. It wasn't until the later editions of his book that he suggested rappelling it and using it as an entrance route.

Personally, I don't think the route should be done without a rope.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I like the route suggested by AverageJoe's website. Fun side canyon, rappelling kept under 100 feet, get to see all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There is also two hikers entrance further to the west, you probably saw the TH signs for those driving in. No rope needed when doing the hiker entrance, but it creates a long day. I'm guessing the epic @Kuya described above used one of the hiker entrances.
    You are correct. the time we got stuck in the canyon overnight was because we underestimated the time it would take to hike from the hiker trail head. We didn't have headlamps and didn't feel it to be safe to try and exit the last mile in the complete dark.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Just did this Saturday. Not a living soul around. We just rapped from the big juniper at the top. I saw no reason to risk a down climb when we had never done it before. Rapped down the platform saw what was going on and just kept going all the way down on rappel. Nice safe and fast. Left the rope and just came back and pulled it up when done. There was practically no flow what so ever. The water was like bath water. I would have roasted in a wetsuit of any thickness.

Way too much post holing in knee deep mud and just slogging through ankle deep muck. BUT, overall pretty fun. Going the direct route is the way to go. 6-7 hours of that without a fun rap would not have been enjoyable.