Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GORGING SLC Premiere

Celebrating outdoor adventure - as well as punctuality - Petzl will be honoring the first 50 Gorging Premiere ticket holders to arrive at Brewvies with a pint of Bohemian Beer.

See you soon!

Name:  bohemian beer.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  91.6 KB

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any tickets come available? I need two (2). I just saw this and am bummed it is sold out.

Blog Entries
    You could come to brewvies and wait at standby (if there is one) It's worth a shot. There will probably be last-minute cancellations, etc.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Anxiously awaiting the link for torrent.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Looking forward to the event tonight!

If anyone has an extra ticket they would like to sell, please send me a PM. Thanks!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a great premier! It's great to finally meet Kelsey, Turville, Tom Jones and Jenny. There were a lot of other people that I met that a from the canyoneering meetup site too.

Brian said that he had over 100hours of footage, but only 90mins made it. He says that the extras will have a lot more footage for those scenes and there will be a segment where all 4 protagonists do a canyon together.

There was a decent QA, but I wish deeper questions were asked.

The movie did a great job of being very entertaining, insightful, and a bit controversial, but all of which should provide introspection. Turville said it best when he said during the QA that "but does it matter? We (signaling the crowd) need to protect the canyons"

Umm... What else...there were great points saying how most rock-climbers have the skillset to do climbing but canyoneers do not in comparison. People go in big groups with only one person knowing how to do everything (or anything for that matter) in that group! That needs to change!

Kelsey (if I remember correctly) had a great point in which the former generations had their families and parents to take them to these places so they were much more experienced than today's generations. Today's generation gets off the couch and jumps straight into canyoneering and their the ones who get hurt.

Oh, and one last thing - I vote to respect the pioneers' wishes and change Neon's name back to "edge of the earth".

This movie (or documentary?) is definitely a must-have! Brian (editor, producer, and canyoneer) did a great job with it!

What did y'all think?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Jman -

Great recap here. Thanks for the review of the event and the film – very glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Last night was a great event and couldn’t have asked for a better audience. It was fun to meet some of the forum-folk, and put faces to names and aliases. I thought the Q&A questions were quite thoughtful – with great responses from the film’s stars. I suspect Dennis and Mike could have gone all night.

Interesting note on bringing back the pioneers’ canyon names. Although I really like some the older titles, it seems challenging to honor some of Dennis’ canyon names. This topic has been discussed on the forum numerous times – these names were intended mostly for a group of canyoneers who were bent on keeping their endeavors a secret. I love that the names are out there – and even included in the wonderful canyon-database - but it seems it might be a stretch to expect them to be used by the general community…

That being said, I’ll likely refer to these canyons using the pioneer names because I now fancy myself a canyoneering historian, having done so much research for the film. It’s exciting to know the roots.

As you mentioned – DVD and Bluray are coming soon. And we’ve also got a few more theatrical events in the works. We’ll update soon.

Great show, good crowd energy! The Q&A was fun. Sure, it'd be great to ask controversial questions while we have those guys captive, but, I dunno...why put them on the spot?

Thanks for the free adult beverage, MB/Petzl!

Pretty happy to have Dennis and Dean Hannibal sign my copy(s) of Desperate Grace...(ahh...the good ol' Timberline days on Highland Drive). Now I need to track down the ski wax...ha ha.

Fun stuff.

Such a fun event last night! Thanks to the Bohemian Brewery and Petzl for sponsoring the event! I will enjoy the fancy blue Petzl helmet that we won at the raffle!

The DDI segment of the movie was unforgettable, so was watching Mike Kelsey 'cut and paste'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Great show, good crowd energy! The Q&A was fun. Sure, it'd be great to ask controversial questions while we have those guys captive, but, I dunno...why put them on the spot?
    Why? Because it was a great way to get to know these gentleman. Thanks to Mr. Kelsey, Steve, Mr. Turville and Brian O for playing along during the 'tough' questions.

I have to share my favorite quote from the Q&A segment:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  72.4 KB
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

13. Likes Brian in SLC, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Why? Because it was a great way to get to know these gentleman. Thanks to Mr. Kelsey, Steve, Mr. Turville and Brian O for playing along during the 'tough' questions.
    My comment was to JMans for wanting "deeper questions"...I thought they did great and it was neat to see everyone on stage. Rick finally got to ask his question!

I had a few, but, they woulda been prickly...so...held off. Plus, I wanted to chat with them afterwards...ha ha.

Slot Machine - wow... great job 'illustrating' a quote from last night's Q&A!

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    My comment was to JMans for wanting "deeper questions"...I thought they did great and it was neat to see everyone on stage. Rick finally got to ask his question!
    Whoops, Brian! You typed "It'd be great", and I read "It was great". I thought you were referring to the "Are you prepared to be responsible..." question that somebody posed, then Brian O humbly knocked out of the park.

Brian SLC - it's not too late to ask a few more questions... If you want to post them here - I can connect with the Gorging 4 to do a little follow up interview in print. We welcome prickly questions.

I still have a hard time gettin' my head around how you put these iconic strong personalities together...mad people skills, no doubt.

Besides writing probably THEE most coveted rock climbing guidebook certainly for the Wasatch, if not the whole state:

Name:  Desparate Grace 0007.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  134.1 KB

Dennis was in a nice little video on "slot canyon hiking":

Name:  Trailside Utah_0003.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  132.6 KB

Amazing how long these guys have been doin' it...and, still going strong.

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    SLC Brian - those are great photos... are those from your personal archives? Do you acutally own the VHS tape of Trailside?

One additional apperance of Dennis over the years - he does play a large role in the Zion Imax film.

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dfsfilm View Post
    One additional apperance of Dennis over the years - he does play a large role in the Zion Imax film.
    and, And, AND

He was GREAT in all 8 seasons of That 70's Show.

23. Likes dfsfilm liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsfilm View Post
    SLC Brian - those are great photos... are those from your personal archives? Do you acutally own the VHS tape of Trailside?
    Yep, my copy is right here next to my busted VCR... Have you seen it?

I heard tell Rich was in one too? Haven't seen that one.

Forgot about Treasure of the Gods...

Name:  Treasure of the Gods_0006.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  130.6 KB

The cast and crew is a bit of a who's who especially of canyoneering and climbing folk:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118218/..._ov_st_sm#cast

Chuckle every time I see Merrill as Dennis' native guide. Nancy and Doug climbing (the look on Nancy's face as her hook pops...hilarious). Doug also helped with the Trailside video I dimly recall. Heard tell he up climbed Mystery Falls...(or next to it). Those folks all still gettin' after it in SLC.

25. Likes dfsfilm liked this post
    [QUOTE=Brian in SLC;538677]Yep, my copy is right here next to my busted VCR... Have you seen it?

I own a copy of it - but don't have the original VHS package - so it was fun to see your image. Btw - we used very brief clips form the show in the film, including John Viehman's introduction to canyoneering, 'gashes in the earth... not something to be taken lightly.'

Rich was also featured in the PBS show, but i think he was part of 'Anyplace Wild,' which was the new title for Trailside once Backpacker magazine started bickering for ownership. Rich and i tried in vain to search for the vhs copy in his garage but never found it, unfortuntately.

Anyway, great archives and good TV shows.

B

28. Likes dfsfilm, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    It is kind of like Beta.....but different!