Thread: Re-learning Land Navagation procedures

Re-learning Land Navagation procedures

Just came back from 1st trip to the Escalante area, and that's some wild/beautiful country, and I got some fantastic photographs!! - I normally hike/explore alone, and found that my navigation skills have been long forgotten.. As an old Army Ranger, I knew it well, but never using it since the 60's, and with all the handheld GPS units that we didn't have back then, I think I need to Re-Learn a process that I used to know so well.. I checked with our local college, but nothing until next October and I don't want to wait that long. What I want to know is how to use a GPS unit and compass with a Topo. Is there a better/best book or manual I can begin with? - The only compass I've ever used was the Military Lensatic ones, so can anyone recommend a specific compass to get? - I have, and know how to use a handheld GPS, but I just don't think that's enough without other updated skills in addition. What's new out there since the 60's ???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Welcome Old Ranger. Scrolled or Tabbed?

As for land navigation, unless you're going way off the grid, most areas already have well marked trail / maps that include GPS coordinates along the edges. Couple the map with any decent (or even cheap) compass and you're well on your way. Carry an extra set of batteries for your GPS, preferably the higher end Energizer lithiums..

Additionally, and for added safety (I suppose), I carry a SPOT in the event that I do get in over my pay grade..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Welcome Old Ranger. Scrolled or Tabbed?

As for land navigation, unless you're going way off the grid, most areas already have well marked trail / maps that include GPS coordinates along the edges. Couple the map with any decent (or even cheap) compass and you're well on your way. Carry an extra set of batteries for your GPS, preferably the higher end Energizer lithiums..

Additionally, and for added safety (I suppose), I carry a SPOT in the event that I do get in over my pay grade..
    Scrolled/Tabbed - Old conversation, huh? - Did my 61 and soon found myself at Recondo/Nha Trang... Assigned to LRRP H/75. Was an expert on L Nav, but after not using it for almost 50 years, I just plain-azzed forgot most of it!! I know what you mean about the marked trails/Carins, but sometimes I just like to wander. If I see some interesting area, I like to just go to see. Like I said, I normally go by myself - I'd love to have someone to go with me, but at 67 I need to stop/rest more often than others, so I end up alone out there - a good reason to be 'Overly-prepared' these days. Thought about the Spot, and will probably ask for one for Fathers Day !

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm getting off-topic, but are you a member on this site? If not, get it done!

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/

Loads of VN/LRRP era Rangers there.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

one small tip - be sure that Map and GPS are in same reference mode (WGS84 or NAD27 or whatever) - you can waste a bucnh of time in the wrong side canyon if they are not (as in not Peekaboo in the Needles District of Canyonlands)

Hey Old Ranger! I could teach you how to marry up the GPS with a topo map in about a half hour...it's really pretty easy when the person teaching you is an expert that gets right down to business.

It's really not something that can be explained online...I'll be out there (Southern Utah) this fall and if you are able to cut loose, perhaps we could get together.

Those topos of the canyon country are pretty wild, eh? When I first saw one, I remember thinking someone puked on a piece of paper and made a copy of it. An old geezer hiking buddy of mine showed me, on just one hike, what was going on...you'll learn plenty in a class, but nothing beats having that map in hand with the country right in front of you.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I'm getting off-topic, but are you a member on this site? If not, get it done!

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/

Loads of VN/LRRP era Rangers there.
    Thanks! - Think I've seen this one a while ago - I'll check it out again..

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    It's really not something that can be explained online...I'll be out there (Southern Utah) this fall and if you are able to cut loose, perhaps we could get together.
    I really appreciate that ... Being retired, "Cutting Loose" is something I do very well !! If you remember, just PM me when you're ready to head out there, and I'd love to..

O.K...will do, several weeks notice in advance, too. Perhaps by then you may have it dialed in, but I could probably still show you a couple nifty tricks.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.